Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+'rs - How to Avoid Getting Foo'd

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 07:30 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

We seem to have some moderators intent on having us get advice or having discussions about things from the younger than 50+ groups, when generally our intent is to get the wisdom of those over 50 who may have a bit different perspective on life, due to their experiences.

Several of our posts have recently been moved to "foo."

To help avoid this, it is good to have 50+ and bicycle IN THE TITLE of the thread.

I.e., SKT might have asked

"How do 50+'rs who bicycle know it is time for a divorce?"

rather than

"How do you know it is time for a divorce?"

This technique has worked in the past. Perhaps it will help in the future.???

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-12-08 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-02-07, 07:35 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Release the Diego's
Old 09-02-07, 07:58 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! I did a search to see which thread of DG's got moved, and there's been a few. In the "silent ride for the Diegos" someone suggested there be a 50+ foo forum. That might be an idea, only maybe as a subforum on 50+? I'd hate it if one of my posts got moved to a place where I didn't know anyone...
Old 09-02-07, 08:45 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Sorry. I'm with the mods on this one.

I come to BikeForums.net to read and learn about bikes and cycling. If I wanted to read about divorces, I'd go to DivorceForums.net.
Old 09-02-07, 08:51 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with tsl on this. Some of the topics are quite a ways from biking. Divorce, TV's, etc.
Old 09-02-07, 08:52 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Wow! I did a search to see which thread of DG's got moved, and there's been a few. In the "silent ride for the Diegos" someone suggested there be a 50+ foo forum. That might be an idea, only maybe as a subforum on 50+? I'd hate it if one of my posts got moved to a place where I didn't know anyone...
Really? They're moving my posts? Wow..

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-02-07, 09:22 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a subforum on 50+?
Another site I visit often has a sub-forum called "Conversations" in almost every main forum. I think it's a great way to allow off-topic conversation among folks who are familiar with the members in their own group. I'd prefer asking an off-topic question here over the Foo forum where I'm a stranger.

Losing a wallet after forgetting to zip the seat pack seems like a 50+ issue to me.
Old 09-02-07, 09:31 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Besides, I'm interested in what you guys are thinking and doing even if it's totally unrelated to Bikes. Tom's sending his daughter to school, people's dogs, getting colonoscopies (OK, maybe not that so much)... it's all important. I would miss it if it were all about bikes.
Old 09-02-07, 09:34 AM
Boomer

50+ about bikes and only bikes would get old in a hurry...
Old 09-02-07, 09:43 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
50+ about bikes and only bikes would get old in a hurry...
We already *are* old, so what's yer point?
Old 09-02-07, 09:48 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
We already *are* old, so what's yer point?

Old 09-02-07, 09:50 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobkat
I'm with tsl on this. Some of the topics are quite a ways from biking. Divorce, TV's, etc.
I guess I don't get what's so hard about not reading a thread that doesn't interest one's self. I do it all the time.

Old 09-02-07, 09:56 AM
Boomer

50+ has a unique way of looking at things. It has some common sense thats useful for folks our age. That uniqueness has always come witha sort of irreverent personality. All of BF is about bicycles. If folks want to learn how to fix a part they wander down to mechanics forum. If they want to know if 97 is the proper cadence for climbing an 11.43% grade they visit the Road Forum. Camping and carrying stuff is in Touring, Building bikes for large people is in Clydsdale, ESL is in the MTB Forum etc. etc. Most folks came here because it fit 50+ bicyclists like a soft grey shoe. Its like sitting around the stove with other riders with a slice of pie and a hot chocolet after a fall ride. (oops, shouldn't have used the word fall with ride..............slap, don't get cute.............Blue.....OMG where do you get off) or.............
Old 09-02-07, 09:57 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides, I'm interested in what you guys are thinking and doing even if it's totally unrelated to Bikes. Tom's sending his daughter to school, people's dogs, getting colonoscopies (OK, maybe not that so much)... it's all important. I would miss it if it were all about bikes.
+1000
To me, this isn't just a forum for 50+ cyclists to learn and share cycling issues, it's a community of people. I can just skim past a thread if it doesn't interest or apply to me.
Old 09-02-07, 10:00 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
50+ has a unique way of looking at things. It has some common sense thats useful for folks our age. That uniqueness has always come witha sort of irreverent personality. All of BF is about bicycles. If folks want to learn how to fix a part they wander down to mechanics forum. If they want to know if 97 is the proper cadence for climbing an 11.43% grade they visit the Road Forum. Camping and carrying stuff is in Touring, Building bikes for large people is in Clydsdale, ESL is in the MTB Forum etc. etc. Most folks came here because it fit 50+ bicyclists like a soft grey shoe. Its like sitting around the stove with other riders with a slice of pie and a hot chocolet after a fall ride. (oops, shouldn't have used the word fall with ride..............slap, don't get cute.............Blue.....OMG where do you get off) or.............
Yep, that too...

P.S: I already wear soft grey shoes..... Asics running shoes, grey with pink trim (the only color in stock at the time).
Old 09-02-07, 10:13 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I guess I don't get what's so hard about not reading a thread that doesn't interest one's self. I do it all the time.
And I guess I don't get what's so hard about posting off-topic stuff in the off-topic sub-forum. I do it all the time.
Old 09-02-07, 10:18 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I made a poll. I forgot the ?, but it's a question.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/339599-should-there-50-ot-subforum.html
Old 09-02-07, 10:36 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
And I guess I don't get what's so hard about posting off-topic stuff in the off-topic sub-forum. I do it all the time.
I prefer this forum. Simple.

Old 09-02-07, 10:42 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, but deeg, it's kind of a choice between wanting our posts moved out of here or not. They're inconsistent about it, so it's surprising when it happens. I don't think I'd post my saddle sore question to people I didn't know or want it to show up somewhere else. I'm sure there are several threads that we wouldn't want to see moved.
Old 09-02-07, 10:43 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
My rebuttle could be, that given a choice of receiving feedback on something that is more life-oriented than biking-oriented, I'll take my choice with a gang of folks that are my age in the 50+ forum ... versus possibly a teenager in the off-topic subforums.

It would be a stretch to receive blood pressure advice (which can be a significant biking issue), from a person that is residing in a body ... that has been existence in less than half the time our bodies have been existing.
Old 09-02-07, 10:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Sorry. I'm with the mods on this one.

I come to BikeForums.net to read and learn about bikes and cycling. If I wanted to read about divorces, I'd go to DivorceForums.net.
+1 with the addition of ... to read and learn about bikes and cycling from those close to my own age.

Sometimes the titles are not indicative of what is really being discussed in the thread. So, the argument of not reading threads that don't interest you only carries a small amount of weight for me. If I open a thread that I think is related to something that I am interested in only to find that it's not, this is almost as annoying as see a thread with 424 responses, a title that makes no cycling sense, and then finding that the subject is cycling related and of high interest. The criticism that we're a bunch of coffee klatch chatters comes with some merit.
Old 09-02-07, 11:11 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
[SIZE="4"]....this is almost as annoying as see a thread with 424 responses, a title that makes no cycling sense, and then finding that the subject is cycling related and of high interest. The criticism that we're a bunch of coffee klatch chatters comes with some merit.
LOL! Like this group ever stays on topic. I keep checking the colonoscopy thread to see if it's switched over to toe-clips.
Old 09-02-07, 11:17 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL! Like this group ever stays on topic. I keep checking the colonoscopy thread to see if it's switched over to toe-clips.
I read somewhere that the stress of learning to ride clipless -- and prolonged deliberation over whether to do so -- can lead to colon polyps.....
Old 09-02-07, 11:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I guess one perspective is that there is very little that happen's in one's life that isn't related in one fashion or another to bicycling. I would guess that SKT's concerns about divorce relate rther directly to the time he can devote to bicycling, and, also to perhaps using bicycling as a form of meditation to think through his home problems, such as they are.

I know that there is/was a direct link between my physical health/heart problems and my bicycling.

And, I greatly enjoy the humor expressed here, and sometimes even think about when I am - - - - you guessed it, BICYCLING!

However, I would support a sort of "conversation" sub-forum - but who is going to monitor that to be sure that the posts are "sorted" correctly.

Another option is a 50+ group letter to Brian asking the mods to just leave the 50+ forum alone unless we ask for help.

Here are the current mods:

Admin

Brian
donnamb
HostGeekZ
Joe Gardner

Super Moderators

55/Rad
a2psyklnut
Chris L
cuda2k
FitRider 921
hi565
I_Bike
jschen
jsharr
Juha
kemmer
khuon
lala
Lecterman
lotek
LowCel
Maelstrom
MediaCreations
Mr. Smashy
onetwentyeight
phantomcow2
pitboss
Rev.Chuck
RonH
snowy
Tom Stormcrowe
voltman

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-02-07 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-02-07, 11:56 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by Yen
I read somewhere that the stress of learning to ride clipless -- and prolonged deliberation over whether to do so -- can lead to colon polyps.....
Yen gets it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.