My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another whining about the heat post.

Man I'm getting tired of the heat!

94 today, and that's near the coastline, where it's usually not too bad. I start with mostly ice in my water bottle, and it's warm before I take my first sip!

And now I hear we're about to get a Santa Ana next week. Geesh!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have got out earlier. Sun was not out when I started riding and as its September- The temp only got into the 70's. Only got through two bottles- and a large coffee, and a can of Orange juice.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can come to New England, where it has become unseasonably cool the past few days. Usually, this is followed by one more hot, humid heat wave, generally around mid-September.

Alas, we don't have the Santa Ana winds here. Come January / February, we have the "Montreal Express". It's no hockey team, it's a blast of incredibly cold dry winds, that can gust furiously for days at a time, making the wind chill anywhere from zero to minus fifty, depending on your location. Anyone who must work outside, (Construction workers, firemen, cops, etc. ) hates this, and longs for the summer heat waves.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish it was 94 here... it's 104 now at 12:30.

But I agree, I'm tired of it too. My only consolation is that it could be this hot AND as humid like in the south or northeast.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    And now I hear we're about to get a Santa Ana next week. Geesh!
    Did you move to another city?
    The forcast for next weekend in San Diego is:
    Saturday: Isolated T Storm 70/67
    Sunday: Sunny 72/66
    And I hope it stays that way because I'm participating on the "Riding without limits 200 miles event (100 miles Saturday and 100 miles Sunday) !

wll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road From Venice to Will Rogers Beach Yesterday and Today

Yesterday went about 33 miles and today about 20.

Tomorrow I'm at the beach early and taking the southern route, from Venice toward Huntington Beach. I hear it is a nice stretch ... looking to maybe log on a total of ~ 50 miles.

That would be a record for me. I'm pretty new to biking but have gotten into it but DON"T like to travel the city streets.

I'm 58 and have gained about 18 lbs this past year and a half and it P*$#@s me off.

Anyway if any of you are rid'n down there and you see a guy wearing a red long sleeve shirt shirt, white riding helmet and on a black Specialized Crossroads .. it's me!

wll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was 105 when I got back in yesterday. Looked and felt like beef jerky. Drank 2 Arrowheads out of the fridge and sucked up an Endurox, laid on the floor, and conked out for an hour. Woke up, drank another Arrowhead. Nobody has a better road tan than me. Taking a shower I look like I've been wading through lower-thigh high chocolate (no, make that BBQ sauce.)

The heat is just the heat...we deal with it. What bothers me more is the stagnant, yellow, you can almost taste it air. That, and everything is dusty dry here...hot, dead, late summer. I long for crisp mornings, wool.....autumn.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one of my best days today. It was around 76 degrees and the humidity was about 80 and that's really good compared to how it usually is.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I (we ride a tandem) have taken to riding at 0430 in the morning (lights on the bike and all that safety stuff of course). There are a multitude of good things to say about doing that, but the germane one is that it's about as cool as it's going to get. Been in the upper 70's lower 80's while afternoon temps are approaching 100. Gotta love it.

Rick in Florida

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started my ride today it was sunny and 91 degrees
    When I ended my ride it was 87 degrees 25% humidity

The trade off of no heat is less light.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Yes it is a paradox
    My Bikes
    Trek, Orbea,Specilized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Polar water bottle and add lots of ice and then water and stop whinning.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or live in a civilized place where the weather is always perfect - but it does seem weird that DG could manage to complain about San Diego weather. It is just about as good as it gets in the USA.

But not as nice as down here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freeze your bottles. They will thaw over the course of an hour providing cold water or Gatorade for at least a little while.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you are whining about riding in hot weather instead of whining about not being able to ride because it is too hot. It's all better than not riding.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just broke the record for the hottest month ever and broke it by several degrees. We had only one day it didn't break 90 in August and 10 days that set records. It's really getting old and so far Sept doesn't look much different. We have been trying to ride early when feasible and/or take it easy exertion-wise. I rode home from work at 2:30 on a day that hit 105 and had to fix a flat along the way. The enforced rest break in a shady church yard was probably a good thing that day.
    Pray toward Heaven but row toward shore.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Or live in a civilized place where the weather is always perfect - but it does seem weird that DG could manage to complain about San Diego weather. It is just about as good as it gets in the USA.

But not as nice as down here...
    It's usually very temperate. But when it's not, it's not. The year I moved here, it rained for 14 straight days. Maybe in other places people are prepared for that, but not here. Same with the heat. Most of the time, it's wonderful. But when it's very hot, it's very hot.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, if it's not 80 degrees, 24 hours a day, it's the end of the world. Here in Ohio, a month from now the leaves will be falling, and everyone will be wondering when the first snowfall will happen. I'll trade with you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12 View Post
    God, if it's not 80 degrees, 24 hours a day, it's the end of the world. Here in Ohio, a month from now the leaves will be falling, and everyone will be wondering when the first snowfall will happen. I'll trade with you.
    Yep. If it's not another ho-hum day in paradise, the natives get a little nonplussed. (Grew up in northeast Ohio, by the way!)
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Manitscolda, I will never complain about the heat!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12 View Post
    The only thing I dread about winter biking is the amount of time it takes to dress for it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started a ride on Sat. at 82 deg.F at 7:00 AM, hit 111 deg.F at the hottest point, finished at 98 deg.F after 81 miles and 8,700 feet of climbing.

At the top of the climb (Dawson's Saddle - Angeles Crest) it was only 78 deg. F (with cloud cover at altitude 7,900 ft.) and felt REALLY COOL! From there it was (mostly) a descent, and getting hotter the more we descended.

Oh yes (over 50 Forum Note), . . . all the younger guys turned back early. Only Vertical Bob (62) and I (57) finished the whole route!

Rick / OCRR

Fluid Note: 70 oz. Camelback packed with ice, Polar bottle frozen (at the start) and standard bottle frozen (at the start). Staying hydrated is very important (but you knew that!).

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the burn. At least here in Montana. Back into the upper 90's for the last few days. Weather guys are saying that this should be the last of the 90+ weather for the year, but the way this year has been, who knows?

now I can get back to groussing about how hard it is to lose weight! Yes boys and girls, its one of those days where I don't see much good in anything, especially feeling like there is not much good in anything!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We rode 10 miles this morning after getting a late start. It was a modest ride after I rode only once the past week and a half while resting my hips/knees. I did good! But it was HOT and my face was red as a beet when we got home. A nice 50+ roadie gave me some advice about turning in a left-turn lane and I told him I appreciated it.

Back home in the a/c, aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Edit: I meant to post this in the 50+ rides sticky.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

wll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Quite 50mi but a good ride !

Road 26mi from Fisherman's village to ? and back and then went the opposite direction for a bit.

Got in some good exercise and pumped pretty hard. Was keeping up with a few of the young bucks a road machines, was pretty proud of myself (I was riding my Specialized Crossroads).

Was going around 17-19mph on the flats for a bit, and for me that is pretty good. Talked to a guy who was riding a Celvelo aluminum frame machine .... very cool !!!, may be my next machine once I build up more strength and endurance.

May take that route again next week.

wll

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 99 right now. Wish I had air conditioning at home!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast