User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm strictly a roadie & always use my Camelbak (100oz classic model) for anything over 10-15 miles, which means virtually always (doesn't mean I always fill it all the way). My back gets a little sweaty, but that doesn't bother me. I find it much easier to drink out of a camelbak than a bottle. It also keeps the drink much cooler than a bottle. Not to mention that I'd need multiple bottles to duplicate the capacity. The classic has limited xtra storage, but enough for a cell phone & wallet. It does have some elastic a jacket could be stored in also.

I typically carry dilute gatorade in mine. I just rinse it in hot water when I'm done & hang it on one of those hangers that keep the bladder open to air; takes a few minutes. No taste or smell issues here.

Dan
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you use them strictly off-road, on long road rides only, or if you sleep with them, you can save a few bucks on one today at Nashbar.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
    Camelbak (100oz classic model)
    Dan
    Here it is. $10 less tha what I paid. Good deal & well worth it!

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...tion%20Systems
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    This is by no means a scientific sampling, but I would estimate that I have seen 20 paranoid posts by people who use hydration packs on the road for every one post by a roadie criticizing them for doing it.
    I wasn't being paranoid. Just............. and

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
    I wasn't being paranoid. Just............. and
    What makes you think I was talking about you?

My Bikes
    '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Camelbak, I've been riding with one since they first came out. I now have a Ventoux which is usually packed with tons of junk (with a full bladder it weighed in at about 25lbs). On event rides I empty it out (about 9 lbs). I do lots of long rides with 30 miles between stops. I run with a Gatorade mix and on my normal centuries (usually every weekend) I fill the bladder twice (plus the initial fill). Quite a few of the 'faster riders' hate riding with me (I lead one of the 17-18 mph groups) as I don't think they like the fact that some guy with a 25lb Camelbak hangs on the front for most of the ride. ;-) The fast riders tell me I ride heavy. They've never complained when I pull out whatever tool we need for most bike repairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter to me what someone uses. If it works for them...everyone wins.

Bottles are simple and have worked well for me, so I've never felt the need to use anything else.

On group rides I have heard folks complaining about how much their saddle is hurting their butt. I sometimes wonder if carrying 5 pounds of water on their back has anything to do with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them on longer rides and on really hot humid days. I do tend to drink more when I am wearing one, which is a good thing. For longer rides I'll carry 2 bottles of energy drink and fill the hydration pack with water. FWIW it is not necessary to fill the bladder completely and often do a partial fill for shorter rides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes you think I was talking about you?
    You quoted this:
    Originally Posted by pdq 5oh
    If other roadies don't like me because of the hydration pack...........I'll get another. Besides, I usually ride alone. Maybe that's why.

Am I just being paranoid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BP. Although the last link seems to be a dead link, the others were very interesting.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
    You quoted this:
    Originally Posted by pdq 5oh
    If other roadies don't like me because of the hydration pack...........I'll get another. Besides, I usually ride alone. Maybe that's why.

Am I just being paranoid?
    Well, yeah, I was talking to you, but you thought I was talking about you? Hmmmm.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use my Camelback for long hot rides. I think there is no better way to carry a lot of water. Here in Montana water stops can be quite far apart, and not always open.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yeah, I was talking to you, but you thought I was talking about you? Hmmmm.
    Glad to see I wasn't being paranoid.

My Bikes
    giant ocr2 carbon, raleigh 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine from the Marine Corp. Works good, all the weight does is give me strength. I know on long group rides, i have come close to problems when someone decides to grab a bottle and wanders all over the lane-in any case, as the man said, use what works for you, get good at it, and we all win.

Semper Fi
    Cole Cordray

2006 Giant OCR2 Carbon
    2007 Raleigh Venture 4.0

Cycle Oregon

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I used the new pack on yesterdays century ride. It was a very hot and humid day for up here. I drank over 6L of fluid and still was over heated and dehydrated at the end. I found the pack to be quite nice, I did not tie up the line for refills any more than anybody filling two water bottles. I only wish I had consumed even more fluids. The pack seemed comfortable although I did get some low back pain from time to time - but I have had that without the pack as well.

I had also planned on taking an extra bike bottle for a sports drink but forgot to put one in the car before I left so I did not have any of that along the way - because of how much liquid I was sweating out I could have used that for the electrolights, I did not want to put a mix in the bladder of the pack.

I rode this ride with a group, we averaged 16.5mph. This was best avg yet for a century so I was quite pleased.

Here are the stats on the ride
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These would not be for me. I hate the added weight of my water bottles, and usually only fill them half way or ride with them completely empty. Like another post I read here, generally, although I will ride long distances, I'm not so far into the hinterlands that I won't come across a convenience store often enough to keep myself hydrated.

I am also a big advocate of and in the practice of "salting-up" on hot days. I will ingest a couple of teaspoons of salt - gulp it down and chase it with a little orange juice of some cold water. It's a gag to get down, but, once ingested, I can literally ride for hours in comfort without the need for as much liquid intake. I ride lighter as a result, and my muscles seem to recover more quickly and I feel much less fatigued.

If you only put water in your bottles or packs, and, if you have no other means of replacing salts (electrolytes) lost as a result of perspiration, drinking water will not really help you much.

Caruso

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12