Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 50+ ride by a 50+ cyclist that took longer than 50+ mins

I sure hope this thread sticks in the 50+ forum!!!!!

Following someone's advice about doing long rides to get ready for Grandfather, I did a metric century Thursday when I broke my chain followed up by a 102+ mile ride today called the Tour de Moore. The TdM is in the eastern part of NC in Southern Pines/Pinehurst which is a lot more rolling that you would think. In fact the route had just under 5000 ft of climbing-with some of the longer hills in the back end of the ride. It is still a pretty good century for anyone wanting to do one for the first time. At least it doesn't have any killer 15%-20% hills.......

It was a fun ride as I was able to stay with the lead group until about 70 miles and then my old and unfit legs just couldn't spin enough to keep up on a couple of the hills. I got dropped 3 times from 55 to 70 miles ......... only to fight to get back on twice. The last time I really tried but I could tell unless I just ruined my legs for the rest of the ride I was solo.

I met up with a really nice fellow soon after and he and I tag teamed the rest of the way which really helped pass the time. Here are some of the times:

At 50 miles-2hrs 8 mins
    At 67 miles-2hr 51 mins
    At 102.5 miles-4hr 56 mins

So I was able to get in under 5 hrs which I was VERY pleased with given I had not ridden much in late June, July and August. I used the 50/34 compact crank and stayed in the 50 for all but one hill of the first 70 miles. I had planned to use the Madone with the 53/39 but didn't want to take it out on the century without a test ride after I just put on the new chain.

Weather was really nice until around noon. It actually felt a little like fall at the start.

Not sure if I have much for this Wednesday's Time Trial and might just go out and do some light spinning around the track!!

I hope some others got in some rides today as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our group rode 63 miles with about 1,200' of climbing on Saturday, and I did a solo ride today of 73 miles with about 3,000' but at nowhere near your pace. I'm whipped! The good news is that I made it up and over the mountain and back with no problems. Today must have been cycling day along U.S. 71 Scenic as I saw more cyclists on that route than I've ever seen before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - another awesome ride by JPPE. You're an inspiration!

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job! Congratulations! They are well-deserved. I will be working hard to try to emulate you!

-soma5