Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-07, 10:15 AM   #1
alexdrozd

Bikes: Giro 26, Giant FCR1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cyclocomputers and mileage problem

I just bought a Cateye Velo 8 and thought it was perfect for what I wanted it to do. A wired unit for telling me my average speed. But I was surprised when I went to install it that it wouldn't allow me to enter the mileage I already have on the bike. Even the cheap Schwinn I had from 10 years ago let me enter the mileage. What happens when the battery goes? The mileage starts from zero?

So my question is, do they all work like this now? Under features it doesn't say if you can put in your miles so how would you know? I would like an inexpensive wired unit that I can enter my existing miles and tell me my average speed. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
alexdrozd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 10:22 AM   #2
late

Bikes:
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I got a cheap one a month ago and it's a pain. I am looking at the Cateye
Strada. They say the odomoter is programmable. It's small enough that it will not only fit on a stem, it should be stable there. I like that.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 10:28 AM   #3
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
The Strada works quite well without being complicated.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 11:25 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
I bought the latest Cateye Wireless for the new bike- and spent a while setting it up- Everything worked fine but then on about the third ride- All I was getting was average speed and Ride distance. I swear its me and my affinity with anything electronic that does it- Then I read the Destructions- Come on- I am a male and we don't need no destructions but I read them to get the warranty address off them. This new one- has a secondary viewable Set of screens and all you have to do is push the top button to swop between the two. So I can now get my average- Max speed- Milage and Time elapsed on the whole ride. and also get a secondary reading on how slow I am up those hills without having to zero the whole lot.

Perhaps I ought to get some new reading glasses- but wondering whether to stay with steel or change to the new wonder Material of Ti. Anyone any Experience of them?

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 11:38 AM   #5
alexdrozd

Is the Strada definitely programmable? I don't want to order another one and have the same problem.
Old 09-04-07, 12:23 PM   #6
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
yes, the ODO is programmable.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 12:56 PM   #7
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Some, maybe most of my Cateyes don't let you add existig milege if you even change the battery. My Sigma, which I like lots will. AND it remembers your mileage even if you change the battery.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 02:54 PM   #8
alexdrozd

Which model Sigma?
Old 09-04-07, 03:02 PM   #9
joe99

Bikes:
My Echowell W4 allows the ODO to be re-entered. The instructions say to record the value before changing the battery.

It is a fairly basic device, but adequate for my purposes.

I went for a wireless device because I like the front of the bike to look "tidy".
joe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 03:15 PM   #10
Terrierman

Bikes:
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I just looked at the Cateye site. The Strada is definitely programmable odometer. The instructions/set up manual are also on line. Not the most transparent set of programming instructions in the world, but it IS programmable, the setup looks just like my Cateye Micro Wireless and it took me a while how to figure out how to program existing milage into the odo, but I finally got it done. After several tries.
Old 09-04-07, 06:35 PM   #11
Paydirt

Bikes:
I switched to a Planet Bike unit this year and I love it. On one screen you have speed, elapsed time, distance traveled, temperature and time of day. You get avg odometer and top speed on other screens too.
Paydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 08:41 PM   #12
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdrozd View Post
I just bought a Cateye Velo 8 and thought it was perfect for what I wanted it to do. A wired unit for telling me my average speed. But I was surprised when I went to install it that it wouldn't allow me to enter the mileage I already have on the bike. Even the cheap Schwinn I had from 10 years ago let me enter the mileage. What happens when the battery goes? The mileage starts from zero?

So my question is, do they all work like this now? Under features it doesn't say if you can put in your miles so how would you know? I would like an inexpensive wired unit that I can enter my existing miles and tell me my average speed. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
If you want to stay with Cateye, check out this comparison chart of features:
http://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/u...TB_iframe=true

Go to the column labeled "odometer manual set" and you will see which of their products allow for a programmable odo. Looks like only Astrale 8, Velo 5 and Velo 8 are not programmable. I have an Astrale 8, so I feel your pain!
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 08:51 PM   #13
skiph

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
I just got a new CatEye Strada with Cadence (both wired, sensors go on the left chainstay).

The ODO function is re-setable as needed although if the unit thinks it has a tenth of a mile stored, resetting it to, say 100 (no tenths), the ODO will then say 100.3 or whatever. I suppose a total reset could be done, and then your current total mileage put in as an even number (no tenths). If you do a total reset, the wheel size would have to be re-input unless the default is accurate enough (is for me).

I have a Schwinn speedo on another bike, $9.95 at W.M. It's ODO is also re-setable.
skiph is offline   Reply With Quote