User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later

I rode after dark tonight and was trying to be as careful as possible. I need a different headlight... mine makes ME very visible but not the road in front of me. The streets are lit in most places but I encountered a few short dark spots tonight. On my way back home I felt thirsty so I stopped for some water. As I started to ride again something didn't feel quite right. Actually, before I even stopped something didn't sound quite right -- like a cricket had hitched a ride on my back wheel. Anyway when I started to ride again something didn't feel right and suddenly I got that sinking feeling so I knelt down in the dark and...... sure 'nuff...... I could feel it -- my first flat tire. It was too dark to change it without my glasses so I walked the bike the rest of the way home, three long blocks, holding the back end up, all uphill. I had to change sides every few minutes to give each arm a rest (remember, I ride a heavy hybrid). So, tonight's workout consisted of a bike ride, a walk, and weight-lifting. Does that count as a triathlon?

Next purchase: 700x28 Gatorskins.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were very lucky that you were only 3 blocks from home, even if it was uphill.

BTW, why did you bother to lift the rear wheel as you walked? I would have just pushed it unless something was preventing you from doing so. If the tire was still on the rim, then it wouldn't have hurt it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the Specialized Armadillo tires offer even better flat protection than the Gatorskins.

I'm surprised you got a flat with those heavy, slime-filled tires. Those have a pretty thick rubber tread too, not like a thin, lightweight road tire.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, the tire was completely flat, like a pancake. Since the bike is heavy I didn't want to take a chance damaging the wheel and I really couldn't see it well in the dark. We inspected the tire and found what appears to be a small nail that went straight in. We're surprised too, so I must have hit the the wrong thing at just the right angle and the right force.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody know an on-line source for tires with good prices and good service?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give you a triathlon for that

Hate flat tyres, hate, hate, hate.

I don't walk bikes on flats either, but I think I could be pushed to if I got tired enough. The worst I've changed was in an all day thunderstorm - I'd already pumped the thing up and ridden on it three times, hoping I'd get home that way, but the last time, I could watch the wheel sagging. Naturally, the rain stopped soon after I was mobile again.

Thornproof tubes might be a good move - I've had a lot of luck with them over the years. The Black Beast runs Tuffy Tyre liners with the result of only one flat in over 1,500 km. But the only way to prevent punctures is to hang the bike on the wall over the tele and stare lovingly at it as you slowly assume the shape of your sofa.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be very hard to damage the heavy rims on a hybrid wheel, with a tube & tire on it, from just the weight of the bike. I could see someone wanting to be more careful on race wheels.

Now a car you never want to drive on the rims, as the wheel has hundreds of pounds on it.

Of course, you shouldn't need a new tire now. Just patch or replace the tube and you'll be fine. Unless you want to get new tires.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I wasn't thinking so much of the rims, I was thinking more of chewing the tyre and tube about, though I can imagine the rough bitumen we have here putting a pretty rough edge on an alloy rim.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hermes: Thank you for the link.

Tom: I want new tires anyway.

Europa:

We'll patch the tube and order the new tires. Like the first scratch on a new car, I'm glad it's behind me and the circumstances weren't worse. And anyway, I had a good ride.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I still laugh at the flat tire fairy!......

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you made it home safe and sound. Congratulations on this important rite of passage. And let us know what tires and light you end up getting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, I even RIDE a flat tire, if it is a mtn bike tire and rim. So far, so good.

Sorry about your flat. Three blocks is not bad. I once did 5 miles. (That is before I knew to carry tire repair stuff)
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fix-A-Flat makes a size for bike tires also, to get you on your way quick without having to pull out the tube and patch it right then. I've used it before with good results on the mtn.bike (schraeder valve tube). Never tried it on a presta valved tube, but it did come with a presta adapter. And I'll give ya a triathlon on that one!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get the Gatorskins you will like them. I now have a set on the Coda and like them a lot. The Armadillos are a lot stiffer and may be better for flat protection, but the Gatorskins seem like a really nice compromise. I'm running 700 x 28's too BTW.

No way would I ever put slime in a bike tire, it makes flat repair a messy and iffy proposition. Very difficult to clean it off the tube and get a patch to stick.

+1 on no need to carry a bike with a flat and +1 on giving you credit for a triathlon, with an asterisk (no swimming)*.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    +1
    George

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Nite-Rider Blow-Torch for lighting up the road at night, but also carry a small light to use when fixing flats in the dark (and reading my route sheet!), and yes, I've used it! Fixed a flat in the pre-dawn darkness of the Knoxville Double Century last year, in fact.

I've had ood luck with Conti's overall (700 x 23), but I never use Mr. Tuffy's, Slime, or Thorn-Proof tubes. Too much more rotating weight plus the added hassle when you do have a flat.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If there is one repair skill that one should acquire as a cyclist, it's repairing a flat tire. Front wheels are fairly easy to remove and rear wheels, while more difficult, can be done by most. Here is a good "how-to" from the Park Tool web site:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100

I tried using Mr. Tuffy for a few years and it was more trouble than it was worth. Also, every time I help someone who uses slime and gets a flat anyway, it is a huge mess. This is a long way of saying that a durable tire and a couple of spare tubes are what I find works best.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both Gatorskins and Armadillos.

The Armadillos are the tougher tire, but at the cost of a significantly rougher ride. The Gatorskins are grippier, and ride much nicer. I've flatted a Gatorskin once (in the rain), but never an Armadillo.

Gatorskins you can get online, I use eBikeStop.com. The Armadillos you can only get walk-in at a Specialized dealer.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Armadillo Crossroaders on my Kaitai and Armadillo Robaix Pros on my Reno. I'm very happy with both.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Armadillos!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've used Armadillos for years. Last week, I got 4 goatheads, and 2 of them went right through the Armadillos!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panaracer Pasela TG tires have worked very well for me. $20 at Nashbar.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Panaracer Pasela TG tires have worked very well for me. $20 at Nashbar.
    Haven't used these yet, but they are atop my shopping list for my next set of tires. I've found many positive comments about them, including that their ride is a bit smoother than the Armadillos. Perhaps not as puncture resistant, but a good compromise of puncture resistance with riding comfort.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use Tuffys you can get a Tuffy flat, when the ends of the Tuffy saw through the tube. Slime, tuffys and those super heavy tubes are all a pain. Get decent tires, learn how to change a tube, and always carry the extra tube, tools and inflation device. A lot of the women I know pick tires for ease of mounting/dismounting from the rim. I think Kevlar bead tires are easier than wire bead tires.
    I have Continental 4 seasons on my Gunnar and have had 1 flat in over 5000 miles, while riding all sorts of roads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast