Bicycling, good for the heart.

We knew it, but here's more evidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070905/...eart_exercises

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen! If there is a magic pill, it's exercise.

I am amazed at how much stamina Hubby and I had on Friday and Saturday while preparing for and holding the garage sale in 100+ degree temps. We were up at 5:30 on Saturday morning after a full busy day on Friday and kept going until the early afternoon when we finally sat down. But we weren't exhausted..... just a good feeling like after a good bike ride. We did NOT feel that way at the garage sale we had 1 and 2 years ago..... those left us exhausted. We've noticed a marked difference in our strength and stamina since re-entering cycling in Spring, though our rides are still not as long as most of yours ( still 28 miles and holding, thanks to the heat).

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion that doctors begin writing an actual prescription for exercise. My parents aren't athletes but they exercise almost daily and they get around very well in their late 70s/80s... nothing feeble or slow about them! I constantly have to remind myself how old they really are.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taken from the Aricle

"Though doctors routinely recommend that patients exercise, it is not an actual treatment. Carre thinks that should change. "We need to write patients prescriptions to exercise the same way we write prescriptions for drugs," he said.

"People have been trying for years to create a polypill to treat many different parts of heart disease," Carre said. "But that already exists. It's exercise."

In my town- Certain doctors are Prescribing sessions at the Gymnasium for their patients. It gives them free membership to the Gymnasium and certain Classes to get people active. Unfortunately- Not many perservere with the treatment so it is wasted effort on behalf of the Doctors and the Gymnasium staff.

I tried to get on the scheme after my bypass and I was told I was not a severe enough case to qualify.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I tried to get on the scheme after my bypass and I was told I was not a severe enough case to qualify.
    Interesting how medical science has progressed to the point that bypasses are routine and recovery is no longer considered severe. When my father-in-law had a heart attack and surgery back in the late sixties, his doctors didn't even want him to walk up stairs since that would overtax his heart. I wish they at least had put him on a stationary bicycle. At a minimum, the exercise would have given him a better quality of life and probably would have extended his time with us.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That shows what we should be doing. Unfortunately, this study shows what most people are actually doing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticwanos View Post
    When my father-in-law had a heart attack and surgery back in the late sixties, his doctors didn't even want him to walk up stairs since that would overtax his heart.
    When I was in college, my girlfriends' mother had a "heart condition". The poor lady was housebound with fear of doing anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but is it good for the environment?
    http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/~ulric...viro-jul06.pdf

[E]ngaging in physical activity without the benefit of offsetting the use
    of the automobile results in a dramatic and significant increase in energy use. This is a result of both
    the increase in longevity and the increase in energy required to provide additional food.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
    Yeah, but is it good for the environment?
    http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/~ulric...viro-jul06.pdf

But that study does not take into account a self-regulating aspect of cycling regarding increased longevity.
    http://blog.al.com/live/2007/09/teen...r_charges.html
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legendary Boston cardiologist, Dr. Paul Dudley White, firmly believed that cycling was one of the very best exercises for the heart. His own bicycle hangs in the Boston Museum of Science. (I think it's still there. I have not been to the museum for some time). The bike paths around the Charles River Basin bear his name. Link to wikipedia article.

Interestingly enough, The Museum of Science does not have a very good bike locking facility. One would think that such an organization, would do much better.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am strongy convinced that lifestyle choices, including a healthful diet, a positive attitude, and a combination of aerobic and weight training exercise, are the fountain of youth.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    We knew it, but here's more evidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070905/...eart_exercises
    Perhaps you like to know that I passed your link on to a good number of people who may listen.

Now her is a little story from me: This happened in after WW2 Germany early 50's. (Could not happen today?)
    A government controlled doctor diagnosed me with heart-valve problems. The result was that I was banned from all sports at that critical adolescent age. This went on for years and I became impossible to manage. In frustration, my parents ignored that doctors advise and I became member of a rowing team which went on to win German Championship in two classes in 1959. I did not drop dead but other team-members did collapse.
    I have developed a distrust of doctors. I believe that they tend to issue false positives in questionable situations because they do not get criticized for being too careful but get crucified if not careful enough.

I am applying my lesson to the ideas in this thread.

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 Years ago this month my doctor finally said the D word, Long story short 50 lbs lighter exercise 6 days a week. So far this week I have logged 160+ miles and the weekend beckons!

My friends and family think its wonderful that I'm "better" but can't understand why I ride my bike soooooooooooo much. My doc wishes we had taken before and after pictures even though I still need to lose 30 lbs.

Moderate exercise, reasonable eating habits and life is good. Instead of spending $$$$ each year on fad diets and prescriptions for all the ailments, go figure.

I think the saddest comment from the Doc was that I was "the first patient in years to actually listen and put into practice the simple prescription."

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will dehne and dorosz -- thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work!

I enjoyed the contrast between good and bad lifestyle advice obtained from medical professionals.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion that doctors begin writing an actual prescription for exercise. My parents aren't athletes but they exercise almost daily and they get around very well in their late 70s/80s... nothing feeble or slow about them! I constantly have to remind myself how old they really are.
    My father is about the same age and has followed the same pattern. Has always been active, even if it's just getting out and walking a few miles every day. He'll be 80 next year and is still active. In contrast, my mother has never been active. When she wasn't taking care of the house or the kids, which I realize WAS work, but not exercise, she would be sitting on the sofa watching TV and doing some kind of crafts. She's had heart problems (bypass surgery about 15 years ago), back problems (surgery there too), diabetes, and a few other problems. I am convinced that a significant factor in the relative health differences between them is the different activity levels they chose.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this in a previous thread, but I think is worthwhile here. Last year, at age 57 with very little exercise (lots of stressful office work) I had a restive heart rate of 78. One year later with very consistent bicycle exercise the restive heart rate is 52. No medicine. The ONLY change was the bicycle.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    biking is the 'fountain of youth'... it may not add years to your life, but it will add life to your years!

train safe-

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    I posted this in a previous thread, but I think is worthwhile here. Last year, at age 57 with very little exercise (lots of stressful office work) I had a restive heart rate of 78. One year later with very consistent bicycle exercise the restive heart rate is 52. No medicine. The ONLY change was the bicycle.
    I had similar results but at age 64-65.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    biking is the 'fountain of youth'... it may not add years to your life, but it will add life to your years!

train safe-
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    Perhaps you like to know that I passed your link on to a good number of people who may listen.

Now her is a little story from me: This happened in after WW2 Germany early 50's. (Could not happen today?)
    A government controlled doctor diagnosed me with heart-valve problems. The result was that I was banned from all sports at that critical adolescent age. This went on for years and I became impossible to manage. In frustration, my parents ignored that doctors advise and I became member of a rowing team which went on to win German Championship in two classes in 1959. I did not drop dead but other team-members did collapse.
    I have developed a distrust of doctors. I believe that they tend to issue false positives in questionable situations because they do not get criticized for being too careful but get crucified if not careful enough.

I am applying my lesson to the ideas in this thread.
    Insurance has pushed the medical profession into the cautious mode. Their hands are tied from sharing common sense advice because of the risk of the worse case scenario.

Exercise not only helps strengthen our bodies but it also strengthens our minds. I think the 2 are related. If our minds are strong then our bodies respond. If we are depressed or discouraged our bodies will resond negatively to that also.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had bypass surgery 7 years ago at age 55. Overweight, out of shape - couldn't walk up stairs without breaking a sweat. Started riding about 5 years ago, did 3,000 mile last year and will again this year. At my annual check-up with the Cardioligist last week, he said wished all his patients would do what I do. My BP is 120/60, resting heart rate 53, only Rx is a baby aspirin and half of the prescribed cholesterol medicine. Wish a thousand times I would have started my biking at 30 years old.