Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back in the saddle again

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Back in the saddle again

Old 09-05-07, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Back in the saddle again

Had a good day today. After 7 weeks in a cast with a broken wrist I switched to a brace a few days ago. This morning my wife and I headed out for a test ride on the Washington Crescent Trail. We did about 12 miles. I was surprised how quickly I tired but it was still a good day. I expect I will quickly recover now that I am riding again.

I got back from the trail and rode by Eastern Market a couple of blocks from my house on Capitol Hill. Saw Ridley Scott's crew blow up a car. When you see it in the film "Body of Evidence" it will appear to be the flower market in Amsterdam - ain't Hollywood great?
Old 09-05-07, 07:26 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CONGRATS!!! You will be surprised how quickly you get back your conditioning. Good luck!
Old 09-05-07, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Congradulations! It is amazing how much stamina you lose when not riding for a while, but it is also amazing how quickly it comes back.

Paul
Old 09-06-07, 12:48 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Take it steady after a lay off- But you have got a couple of rides behind you now so now you can start pushing a bit. I had a 6 month lay off the bike and tried to keep in trim by walking and as I don't like walking- it didn't work too well. On the next rides- Gradually increase the pedal pressure for a mile or so- take in a few short slopes or even just increase the milage.

Glad to see you back riding but don't expect a Century ride up mountains for a few weeks.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-07, 06:18 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear you're back on the bike.

I think you'll find it won't take long to get back to your previous fitness level.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-06-07, 06:41 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Way to go, I remember when I started riding and I thought, I'll never be able to ride 20 miles, good luck and congradulations.
Old 09-06-07, 06:59 AM

Bikes: Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds familiar

I just got back on my bike after breaking my shoulder (acromion) in early June. Did three rides so far in MLK Park in Silver Spring. I've got a long way to go but am getting stronger with every ride. It's been a long, boring summer that resulted in some extra pounds that need to come off ASAP!
JH Bahn
Old 09-06-07, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight
I just got back on my bike after breaking my shoulder (acromion) in early June. Did three rides so far in MLK Park in Silver Spring. I've got a long way to go but am getting stronger with every ride. It's been a long, boring summer that resulted in some extra pounds that need to come off ASAP!
JH Bahn
The inactivity has been a problem for me too. I usually do weights three days a week at the gym but my left arm/hand has been useless so I haven't been to the gym in a couple of months. The doc recommended that I hold off on weights until the brace is off (another 3 weeks) so cycling is pretty much it for now. It will be good to get back into a routine.