User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the saddle again

Had a good day today. After 7 weeks in a cast with a broken wrist I switched to a brace a few days ago. This morning my wife and I headed out for a test ride on the Washington Crescent Trail. We did about 12 miles. I was surprised how quickly I tired but it was still a good day. I expect I will quickly recover now that I am riding again.

I got back from the trail and rode by Eastern Market a couple of blocks from my house on Capitol Hill. Saw Ridley Scott's crew blow up a car. When you see it in the film "Body of Evidence" it will appear to be the flower market in Amsterdam - ain't Hollywood great?

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CONGRATS!!! You will be surprised how quickly you get back your conditioning. Good luck!
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congradulations! It is amazing how much stamina you lose when not riding for a while, but it is also amazing how quickly it comes back.

Paul

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it steady after a lay off- But you have got a couple of rides behind you now so now you can start pushing a bit. I had a 6 month lay off the bike and tried to keep in trim by walking and as I don't like walking- it didn't work too well. On the next rides- Gradually increase the pedal pressure for a mile or so- take in a few short slopes or even just increase the milage.

Glad to see you back riding but don't expect a Century ride up mountains for a few weeks.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you're back on the bike.

I think you'll find it won't take long to get back to your previous fitness level.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go, I remember when I started riding and I thought, I'll never be able to ride 20 miles, good luck and congradulations.
    George

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds familiar

I just got back on my bike after breaking my shoulder (acromion) in early June. Did three rides so far in MLK Park in Silver Spring. I've got a long way to go but am getting stronger with every ride. It's been a long, boring summer that resulted in some extra pounds that need to come off ASAP!
    JH Bahn

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight View Post
    I just got back on my bike after breaking my shoulder (acromion) in early June. Did three rides so far in MLK Park in Silver Spring. I've got a long way to go but am getting stronger with every ride. It's been a long, boring summer that resulted in some extra pounds that need to come off ASAP!
    JH Bahn
    The inactivity has been a problem for me too. I usually do weights three days a week at the gym but my left arm/hand has been useless so I haven't been to the gym in a couple of months. The doc recommended that I hold off on weights until the brace is off (another 3 weeks) so cycling is pretty much it for now. It will be good to get back into a routine.