Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle racing in Branson? Professional Bicycle Racing?

Yes, you read it right. Stage 3 of the Tour of Missouri is a time trial in Branson, over roads that I have ridden. The Tour of Missouri is apparently the real deal, Team Discovery are the headliners, with all the big names. The Branson stage is September 13. Stage 2 is September 12 from Clinton to Springfield, which is aobut 125 miles. I will try to make it to the finish of that stage if I can sneak away from a training day in time.

I went to course marshal training for the Branson stage tonight. They are expecting tens of thousands of spectators. Versus will have TV coverage. I'm excited to see something like this live and in person. Reports and pics after the race.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, that's great! You're going to love being around that spectacle. Disco is bringing a strong team! Contador, Leipheimer, Hincapie and Popovych. It's going to be hard for the other teams to compete for the overall, but the sprints will be pretty interesting. With no real climbing to speak of, the race is going to be about winning the time trial and containing the dangerous breakaways. Look for Slipstream to give Disco a run for their money. Danny Pate and Tim Duggan were 2nd and 3rd in the US TT Championships last weekend. HealthNet and Toyota should get some stage wins with their sprinters.
    http://www.tourofmissouri.com/teams
    Try to make it to one of the stage starts if you want to really get up close to all the teams and racers as they get prepared for the day's race.

Have fun. And take lots of pictures!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I hope the race gets more attention in Missouri than here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. Kind of. I don't want to have to go Barney Fife and kick anybody's ass whilst marshaling...
    Last edited by Terrierman; 09-06-07 at 11:06 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Me too. Kind of. I don't want to have to kick anybody's ass whilst marshaling...
    The biggest problem I saw on TT stages working as a course marshal in the Tour de Georgia was keeping cars from crossing the course. In Rome in 2004, a guy in a SUV who had been stopped and turned around by marshals came back and crossed the road to get to a bar. He nearly ended the career of Craig Lewis, but he made a great recovery and comeback.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So exciting! Watching the pros ride is a treat. THe smooth pedaling and power application is educational to say the least. But then, it just makes me feel ****ty about my own cycling.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    So exciting! Watching the pros ride is a treat. THe smooth pedaling and power application is educational to say the least. But then, it just makes me feel ****ty about my own cycling.
    I know I went to the Big one- The TDF- but it makes no difference. Watching the pros is a treat. Doesn't matter if it is a big race or a smaller one, the atmosphere is fantastic.

We have the Tour of England starting Sunday and it is a toss up right now- Do a 30 mile offroad with a novice stoker on an organised ride- or Go to London for the atmosphere of a Time trial. Don't feel like getting Muddy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Wow. I hope the race gets more attention in Missouri than here.
    I only learned about it through an email from one of the sponsors. Nothing in the news or papers around here. I had thought about going to the last couple days of the race but I've been gone from home so much this summer I decided to skip it.

I hope they continue next year. It would be great to see more bike races like this in the states.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I know I went to the Big one- The TDF- but it makes no difference. Watching the pros is a treat. Doesn't matter if it is a big race or a smaller one, the atmosphere is fantastic.

We have the Tour of England starting Sunday and it is a toss up right now- Do a 30 mile offroad with a novice stoker on an organised ride- or Go to London for the atmosphere of a Time trial. Don't feel like getting Muddy.
    I enjoyed every minute of the two days I attended the Tour de Georgia. It was the last year Lance raced in it.

I think I would choose the race over getting muddy, too.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Levi Leipheimer won the TT, some guy from Australia was second, (something like the ten time Aussie champ) - Nathan O'Neil - what an impressive fellow he is, and Matti Helminen was third (at least he stood on the podium, the results posted elsewhere show him fourth?). George still has the yellow jersey.

Weather was perfect, upper 70's and low humidity. I marshaled at a great place - two way bike traffic where I ws stationed - got to watch them fly by on the down grade and then work a bit harder on the way back up. As it got later and later in the TT, you could really tell a difference in the riders as they came back up grade. One thing that surprised me was the variability in equipment. Lots of different styles of bars and wheels, and even helmets. And of course lots of different makes and models of frames.

It was very exciting to watch and fun to work it too, heartily recommend it to anyone who gets the opportunity to go to a race or even better work it to take it. Sorry, but I forgot to take the camera, so you'll just have to get your photo viewing elsewhere.

The highlight of the day was when George came by. He was the last rider and when he came back up the hill and passed us, everyone jumped in their cars and trucks and jumped on ahead. The Ozark Mountain Highroad is laid out so that we were able to drive along beside him and his entourage with a great view for the last 5 or 6 miles of that section of the course. Very exciting.

My Bikes
    Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report T-man.
    The pro's sure make something hard look easy don't they.
    That was a very difficult coarse and to do over 18 miles in less that 40 minutes.......unbelievable.
    I am very pleased that we have this in our area.
    It will help a lot with public awareness of the great sport and pastime of bike rideing.
    I'm not totally useless....I can be used as a BAD example.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for kicks I rode 15 of the 18 mile course on Monday. I averaged 11.1 MPH. Levi averaged 27.26. And the hell of it is, I'm not discouraged!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got to see the time trial. I was a course marshall here in Kansas City - what a blast! They did three circuits of the road I was on and the pelaton was in the process of reeling in the breakaway riders. I just sat on the curb and watched in wonder. Thrilling!

The mystery to me is why there was a serious lack of publicity. I was talking about it at work and people would ask me if I was serious. Now I have a bunch of co-workers who are really excited about cycling...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report T-Man. It brings back great memories of working as a marshal for the Tour de Georgia. If you enjoyed being part of the event, give some consideration to signing on as a traveling marshal next year. I did that for the 2004 and 2005 TdG races and it is something I will always remember. It was hard work, crazy hectic at times. Not a job for whiners. But one of the most rewarding teamwork experiences I have seen. And you get to see the event from a perspective others can't get. Not even the privileged class who pay big bucks for the VIP treatment.

Although forgetting to take your camera makes you a bad forum member, it makes you a good marshal.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-13-07 at 08:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very exciting! I watched some of the Tour of California for 2 years. Those guys are not human.
    There wasn't a lot of publicity here the first year, but the second year more people seemed to know about it. It is fun to see all kinds of people enjoying the race.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report. I only wish I had found out about this event earlier this summer....I would have made plans to attend.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madison just held an official Ironman event last Sunday. I watched about 30 minutes of it (I'm not really much of a cycling spectator). Over 2200 people competed and 2106 finished. I thought that was remarkable. They kept the official finish line open for 17 hours, until midnight. a 78 yr old man finished 6 minutes til midnight.

In the time that I watched, I've never seen so many high-end bikes. They weren't moving at blinding speed, to no surprise. They had already had a 2.4 mile swim, were in the middle of their 112 mile bike ride, and pacing themselves to run a marathon. They were going around 20-21 mph when I saw them.

There were crowds of people watching. I was out in Verona, which is a few miles from Madison. Families with children lined the streets for hours, cheering people on.

The first female finisher was about 45 minutes behind the first male, but she did finish ahead of over 1000 men.

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/233276
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 09-14-07 at 09:18 AM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Madison just held an official Ironman event last Sunday. I watched about 30 minutes of it (I'm not really much of a cycling spectator).
    I started to say "apples and oranges", but really, it's not that close.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it is different. I mentioned it because it was a very notable competition with cycling as a key component. There are only 7 official Ironman events in the USA each year, and 22 in the world. This is one of them. While this event is open to anyone, and they have 2200+ competitors, the top 30 or so competitors are truly world-class. The top two male finishers were from Germany, the female winner was from New Zealand. Several people in this event qualified for the World Ironman championship.

The German winner, Maik Twelsiek, rode the hilly 180km bike course in 4:47:27. Not world pro cycling speed, but not shabby given that he had already completed the 2.4 mile swim and still had to run a marathon.

Thus while this is not at the level of a Pro cycling event, it isn't too far below one.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/4197183a6429.html
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post