Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Days off work- Work.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Days off work- Work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 01:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Days off work- Work.

Got a couple of days off to do a few chores around the house and I managed most of them by working through the day. Come 5pm though and I wanted to ride.So Started to get the Boreas out but Thought better of it. It starts getting dark by 8pm and I might stop off and have a snack at the cafe instead of worrying about cooking when I got home. The wife was out this evening so time for me to see if I can burn the Beans on the Dry toast again. So out on the giant that has the lights set up on it and down to the cafe on the seafront. Scrambled egg on toast and a Slice of Coffee and walnut cake for afters. While I was there I checked the computer and I thought the ride was easy but I had just done my best time on this route down. 40 minutes for an 11 mile trip so something was good tonight.

While I was there a gentleman came over and chatted to me. He was down for a couple of days holiday and was sussing out the 1/2 marathon route for the 7 sisters run in October. He had bought his bike down with him to See if he could still ride the hills and was asking me about gearing, and whether there were any flat routes around. Told hom of a couple he could try but then started talking about Bikes. By the time we had finished chatting- I was going to need those lights. The gentleman by the way was 65- used to ride in the 70's and used to be pretty good. He was still riding the Bike he used to race on but thought that a 54/42 double and a 5 speed rear cassette would cause him a problem up our hills.

So eventually got on the way home and found that I seemed to be pushing the speed up a bit more than normal. So much so that I even got into the Big ring on the front and I rarely do that. Got home and checked the average for the Ride and 21 miles covered in 16.4 mph.

OK- the still air and correct temperature may have had something to do with it- but This ride was good. I felt good all the way- Average speed was higher and there was not one single point on the ride where I thought I needed to slow down to catch my breath. The few slopes on this ride were taken at what I felt were a higher speed than normal, and even they were not that Tiring. Just goes to show that If I want to get a decent ride in- I will have to take another day off work.- Or take my evening rides on Sundays.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-07, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sure like days like that!
Old 09-06-07, 07:33 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know how that feels - I had one of those a few weeks back. I had been traveling on business for a week - stuck in conference rooms all day. Too much to eat, too little sleep and just bumed out cause I wasn't getting any exercise. I got home Saturday morning after a red eye (cause I was on the left coast) and slugged around the house. Sunday morning I was feeling punkie but knew I had to ride or I would start that slippery slope into couch potatoe land. I rode my 30 mile loop - noticed something was different as a flew up the first hill. I was 0.5 mph over my best average when I passed my first speed check point at mile 6 and feeling really good. I knew at that point I had to go for it and I put the coal on the fire. I finished up the ride at a little over 18mph, I have not beaten that time solo on that ride since - but the weather was perfect, a cool dry 68 degrees and not a bit of wind and no moving obsticles on the MUP.