Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Where's Yen?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Where's Yen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 08:11 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where's Yen?

I miss her kind and thoughtful posts.
Old 09-27-07, 08:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been wondering where Yen/Jen went too.
Old 09-27-07, 08:22 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, Tom. I'm going on vacation from 10/4-10/14. If anyone notices, you can tell them I'm in New Mexico. The bikes are staying home.
Old 09-27-07, 08:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was in New Mexico in 2005 for 5 days. Loved it. Would love to go back.

I will be in the state of Washington for 9 days in October, but will have internet access on several of them. So I won't be "leaving" 50+ for the entire period. I will be "gone" for 4 days in early October on a mini-vacation in central Wisconsin, staying at a motel with no internet and no cell phone coverage. Up in MegaMan's vicinity.

Beginning Saturday, I'll only be at work on 11 of the next 30 days ... Yippee!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 09-27-07 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 08:38 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom's family were from New Mexico and can trace their history back a few hundred years. So I'm exploring my roots . Oh, and there's the Taos Wool Festival... Does it sound crazy to feel sad about leaving the bikes behind?

Whatcha doing in Washington? Have fun disconnecting yourself from the phone and internet. I have to bring my laptop and phone so work can contact me if anything urgent with a specific project comes up.

I've sometimes wished that I could leave ME behind on a vacation. You know, all the baggage, the worries, the patterns. Ah well!
Old 09-27-07, 09:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TruF
Whatcha doing in Washington?
That trip is part business, part vacation. I'll be in Seattle for a few days on business, will visit my daughter in Vancouver, BC, and will be spending 3 days out on the Olympic Peninsula. Looking forward to being back in the Pacific NW for the first time in 10 years. Doubtful I will ride any, although I could rent a bike while out on the peninsula. Don't think I will as I love hiking in both the high country and in green, rainy places.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-28-07, 08:06 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is that Yen I see back in another thread?
Old 09-28-07, 08:33 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TruF: Thank you for your kind words.

I'm here! I've just been busy doing other things and testing out my new Specialized Armadillos this week (see other post). I also (finally) got the hang of knitting and now I can't put the needles down -- just what I (didn't) need.... another hobby! I've downloaded some free scarf patterns from the internet, we bought some new yarn tonight, and I'm good to go. I did finish a quick scarf for myself last weekend and I can't wait to wear it on the chilly winter mornings. The knitting is just something to do while watching TV.

I hope you both enjoy your upcoming travels. I miss people here when they aren't around. And it's nice to be missed, too.
Old 09-28-07, 08:36 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
OK. Now, where's Waldo?
Old 09-28-07, 08:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where's The Grampster?

Haven't seen him around lately. Did we run him off?
Old 09-28-07, 08:44 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where are my glasses - anybody seen them
Old 09-28-07, 09:00 PM
My other car is a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yen! Welcome back. I discovered knitting a year and a half ago. Knitting is another addictive and expensive hobby, but I love it. Going to the Taos Wool Festival in NM next weekend, my first wool festival. I know LOTs of knitting forums and other internet resources for learning how to knit. The one that helped me the most is KnittingHelp.com. Great short videos of just about everything. I don't know about you, but books aren't much use. I need so see someone do it and practice while I watch.

Good luck on your knitting adventures!
Old 09-28-07, 09:16 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another knitter! I learned some years ago, I made an easy baby blanket, and then stopped. I've yearned to really seriously learn the craft ever since and finally got started again last month. I have watched the videos at KnittingHelp.com and they are a big help. I bought a couple of books I like, one has tons of colored step-by-step photos which are helpful, but mostly I love the collection of stitches of all types and the steps in how to do them with a photo of each. But yes, the videos are the most helpful. I hope to graduate from scarves to something more challenging some day but for now they are a great way to improve the basic skills without too much frustration and finish some quick projects -- and who couldn't use a new scarf? Have a great time at the wool festival -- I bet that's like a candy store for knitters!