Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show us your workshop!

I was telling Yen about the maintenance class I was taking, and that I had set up a corner of my garage as a workspace. I still have more tools to go on the board, but I'm pretty happy with it!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!!!!!!!! I'm very impressed! Is that the stand you don't like, or did you get a new one?

I like the blue bike (I'm partial to blue anything)... what is it?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's the stand I don't like!

That is my brand new vintage Italian hand made Mondonico!!!!!!

ID this as a Mondonico?

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely beautiful!! Is that the one you built up and cleaned up? It must be your pride and joy.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh no, your not getting any pictures of my shop after that. I'm pretty sure that I could not get that wide a shot without falling over something.

I must have missed your other post. Why don't you like that stand.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the cheapest one and it doesn't hold the bike vertically!!! It basically just holds it high. For about $20 more, if I had shopped around better, I could have had a better model.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My garage is just too crowded with bikes, bike trailer, bike equipment, etc to have room for working on them I am allowed in this one to watch and learn while they do minor adjustments to my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Absolutely beautiful!! Is that the one you built up and cleaned up? It must be your pride and joy.
    No, I just picked it up last night... I'm going to replace my Klein with it as my road bike. Although you'd like the SR, too (the one I've been overhauling), because it's blue, too!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I was telling Yen about the maintenance class I was taking, and that I had set up a corner of my garage as a workspace. I still have more tools to go on the board, but I'm pretty happy with it!
    Great looking shop...As a suggestion, it may not be a good idea to clamp your bike by the top tube in the stand. It is better to grab it by the seat post. The new bikes have very little material where you have the clamp and it is easy to damage the frame. The next time you are in a bike shop take note where they clamp the bikes in the vice. This is even more important with tandems that are longer and heavier.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    It is better to grab it by the seat post.
    Exactly!!! That's why I don't like this stand. It only clamps horizontally. Although, I have to clamp my bikes by the seat tube, usually, anyway, because I don't have enough room on the post. I have to buy my bikes with minimal standover because my torso is freakishly long.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a tidy worker but The Bike shed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Oh no, your not getting any pictures of my shop after that. I'm pretty sure that I could not get that wide a shot without falling over something.
    When I get home I'll get some shots of my basement workshop. Then you won't feel so bad about showing a mess. In fact maybe we should make this a contest to see who has the messiest workshop.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly!!! That's why I don't like this stand. It only clamps horizontally. Although, I have to clamp my bikes by the seat tube, usually, anyway, because I don't have enough room on the post. I have to buy my bikes with minimal standover because my torso is freakishly long.
    Unscrew the long black handle on the back and the clamping tube will rotate to any angle you would like. Then tighten the handle again. Its like a collet clamp.

Horizontal will be ok for the steel frame but when you start to work on the exotics you might want to get a temporary seat tube to use as a clamp. Also, if you inadvertantly clamp the brake cable its hard to work on the brakes (scratches the paint too.)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it doesn't rotate. It's a PK-9 or whatever. I've tried everything. It tilts, though.

Oh, wait. I see what you're saying. I don't know if it tilts that far. I think* that was the first thing I tried. I'll experiment some more.

There's a brake cable "tunnel" in the clamp. That should be OK, right?
    Last edited by solveg; 09-07-07 at 10:33 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It rotates. That handle may be torqued way down from the factory, but it is a rotation clamp. Got one sitting in my shop. Its like a drawbar collet clamp. The front of the horizontal inner bar is tapered and is pulled to the rear as the black handle is tightened.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maddmaxx! THANK YOU!

Because I trusted you, I loosened the crank arm and put a hammer in the clamp and just cranked on it! It made a loud noise, and now it rotates freely and can be tightened down in whatever position. I never* would have forced it like that without your reassurance. It hadn't said anything about it rotating in the directions.

I am so* much happier now.

Susan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's it. When I want to work on my bike I must take it out on the walkway in front of my apartment and hope that my next-door neighbor does not need to go by.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    maddmaxx! THANK YOU!

Because I trusted you, I loosened the crank arm and put a hammer in the clamp and just cranked on it! It made a loud noise, and now it rotates freely and can be tightened down in whatever position. I never* would have forced it like that without your reassurance. It hadn't said anything about it rotating in the directions.

I am so* much happier now.

Susan
    You trusted me!......

Glad you like it. You can live with the tilt if you get (or make something like) the park handlebar holder to keep the front wheel from swinging.

Most of these stands are not suitable for serious torque applications like bottom brackets. For old style bottom brackets with the internal splined caps I put the bike on its wheels and stand on the other side of the bike from the cap to be removed (or installed). Now the advantage of my bell middled shape shows up as I pin the top tube down while pulling up on a long torque wrench. Your other hand is holding the tool in the BB cup (and the whole job tends to push the tools into the spline instead of slipping out)

Pulling up on wrenches keeps your hands from punching the floor when things come loose.
    Pulling in toward the job keeps splines from slipping out which makes a mess of the tool, part and unfortunately you.

Have fun with your new not so unfavorite "inexpensive" bike stand.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. OK. Here's mine. If you look closely, you can see my Giant leaning against the unused stationary bike. Actually, the garage doesn't usually look like this. We are getting ready to move after 29 years in this house and what you see are the garage sale items. But, even i good times, I have to back my truck out to work on my bike.[IMG][/IMG]
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, I cleaned it up real quick and here it is
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:55 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your plants need some water !
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are there to remind me what happens when I let my wife into the workshop!

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madmaxx: Is that the Minoura or Spin Doctor wheel jig? How do you like it? I've been wanting to try wheelbuilding for awhile.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    OK, I cleaned it up real quick and here it is
    Who was responsible for taking care of the plants in the window sill
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like seeing these other workshops.

Stapfam's looks so peaceful and...english!

I can't see Mojo's.

Artkansas's is bauhaus art.

maddmaxx's is efficient and ergonomic.

Beverly's is the biggest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast