Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bike!

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Bike!

Although my Klein was fun, when I went over 20 miles on it it just beat me up. So I have replaced it with this Mondonico! It is just as fun as the Klein, way prettier, and flys like the wind.

ID this as a Mondonico?

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, the OCP in me is crying from your bar position however.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's only temporary. I have to get a new stem and bars for it. It's got a very* long top tube to it, and an aggressive stance.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are several of us here with the short leg/long trunk problem. This leads to questions about negative numbers and the formula's for standover height.

Theory has it that Italian designed bikes have shorter virtual top tubes for a given seat tube height and are not suitable for "us"

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    That's only temporary. I have to get a new stem and bars for it. It's got a very* long top tube to it, and an aggressive stance.
    I know, it would just look so much nicer with the bars adjusted. The rules for bike pictures are:

1. Remove any seat packs, pumps etc that are not OCP
    2. Find a white garage door to pose bike next to, unless your bike is white, then don't bother posting a picture
    3. Picture must be of the drive side with the crank at 12 o'clock
    4. If possible pull your seat post up as high as possible to create as big as drop as possible between seat and bars - racy
    5. make sure stem is flipped

Once you post the picture you can readjust the bike to be comfortable and add all of the necessary equipment you really needed to ride it.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike! Steel is real and lugged steel is the realest steel, for real.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a beauty!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bar positions looks reasonable to me!

Nice clean looking bike. Never heard of that brand before, but I'm not well versed on older road bikes.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    That bar positions looks reasonable to me!

Nice clean looking bike. Never heard of that brand before, but I'm not well versed on older road bikes.
    If you were, you would definitely have heard of Mondonico.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Italian road bikes are my bane. They are the ones which have the geometry most unfriendly to my body.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    There are several of us here with the short leg/long trunk problem. This leads to questions about negative numbers and the formula's for standover height.

Theory has it that Italian designed bikes have shorter virtual top tubes for a given seat tube height and are not suitable for "us"
    I went down an measured it compared to my same-sized Bridgestone. The top tube is 1" longer. I thought that would be a good thing, but it may not be. I have to do some stuff to it before I can really ride it a long way. I know, for one thing, the cranks are too long, and also that the gearing is totally beyond my abilities.

It has that funny 600/ultegra group on it, and I'm trying to figure out what dang parts I need. I may have to just bring it in to a shop.

I think I just really like the history of bikes, and how different they all feel. I can totally see me with my Atlantis as my main bike for the next 30 years, with a couple of ever-changing special-use bikes. I'll always want a fast, pretty bike and I'll always want a utility errand bike. Part of the fun is seeing what each bike has to offer, and what its soul is like! But since I always* have to swap out the stem and bars it's a dang good thing I've learned how to do it myself so I don't have to keep buying new ones.

If I don't fall in love with this bike, I can sell it for the same price (probably more) in a year or two and get to know another bike. But so far, I'm enamored with it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's so strange about the 600/Ultegra group? That looks like the same crank that came on my RB-1 when it was new in '92. Pretty standard stuff for the time. The rear derailleur looks newer, possibly a replacement. Oh, if you change the crank, be aware that the bottom bracket is probably Italian threaded.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    What's so strange about the 600/Ultegra group? That looks like the same crank that came on my RB-1 when it was new in '92. Pretty standard stuff for the time. The rear derailleur looks newer, possibly a replacement. Oh, if you change the crank, be aware that the bottom bracket is probably Italian threaded.
    Oh! Thankyou! I would have forgotten completely about Italian threading. French I was all afraid of, but I hadn't even thought of Italian bikes.

The 600/Ultegra group is strange because it makes it hard to do searches for the right parts. You don't know quite how the person has phrased it... they may just call it 600 or maybe Ultegra or they may use a hypen and not a slash. And I don't know where the cut-offs are, so I don't know quite what works with what. I just have to learn more about it.

All I know is that I can't ride it without new cogs.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went down an measured it compared to my same-sized Bridgestone. The top tube is 1" longer. I thought that would be a good thing, but it may not be. I have to do some stuff to it before I can really ride it a long way. I know, for one thing, the cranks are too long, and also that the gearing is totally beyond my abilities.
    It has that funny 600/ultegra group on it, and I'm trying to figure out what dang parts I need. I may have to just bring it in to a shop.

I think I just really like the history of bikes, and how different they all feel. I can totally see me with my Atlantis as my main bike for the next 30 years, with a couple of ever-changing special-use bikes. I'll always want a fast, pretty bike and I'll always want a utility errand bike. Part of the fun is seeing what each bike has to offer, and what its soul is like! But since I always* have to swap out the stem and bars it's a dang good thing I've learned how to do it myself so I don't have to keep buying new ones.

If I don't fall in love with this bike, I can sell it for the same price (probably more) in a year or two and get to know another bike. But so far, I'm enamored with it.
    I saw the 52/42 chain rings and the tiny cassette. I was going to comment and I read your initial post that said the bike "flys like the wind". Well, I thought OP must generate some serious power so this is all the gears that are needed.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 600/Ultegra group is strange because it makes it hard to do searches for the right parts. You don't know quite how the person has phrased it... they may just call it 600 or maybe Ultegra or they may use a hypen and not a slash. And I don't know where the cut-offs are, so I don't know quite what works with what. I just have to learn more about it.

All I know is that I can't ride it without new cogs.
    That is only important if you are trying to replace it with the exact same parts. It doesn't have to be the same group. I would guess you have a 7 speed cassette? If so, you just need a Shimano compatible 7 speed cassette to replace it. If you want to go with a much larger rear cogset, you'll probably need a MTB derailleur. Any Shimano will work.
    If you want a new crank, just get one with the right crank arm length that takes a square taper BB spindle. Anything except Campagnolo because they have a different taper. If the bottom bracket is in good shape, you won't need to replace it as long as the spindle length works with the new crank. If you do need a new bottom bracket (likely if you change to a triple), then you can get any crank you like. Just get the compatible Italian threaded bottom bracket to go with it. A Sugino XD triple would look good on that bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be much more comfortable. My lugged steel gets ridden at least once a week. Nice ride.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    That is only important if you are trying to replace it with the exact same parts. It doesn't have to be the same group. I would guess you have a 7 speed cassette? If so, you just need a Shimano compatible 7 speed cassette to replace it. If you want to go with a much larger rear cogset, you'll probably need a MTB derailleur. Any Shimano will work.
    If you want a new crank, just get one with the right crank arm length that takes a square taper BB spindle. Anything except Campagnolo because they have a different taper. If the bottom bracket is in good shape, you won't need to replace it as long as the spindle length works with the new crank. If you do need a new bottom bracket (likely if you change to a triple), then you can get any crank you like. Just get the compatible Italian threaded bottom bracket to go with it. A Sugino XD triple would look good on that bike.

Thank you for simplifying it all for me. I was trying to stay with the exact era of parts because I wasn't sure how things changed when the 600/Ultegra went to just Ultegra. I didn't know all the parts were so interchangeable!!! Now, since I have a freewheel, is that going to mess with anything? I know chain width is an issue, but I think only for 9-10 speeds?

So do I have to take the BB out to find the spindle length to know what kind of compact crank I should order?

Actually, I like your triple recommendation. I like triples, just in general. I'll go price this stuff out.
    Last edited by solveg; 09-07-07 at 11:30 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I saw the 52/42 chain rings and the tiny cassette. I was going to comment and I read your initial post that said the bike "flys like the wind". Well, I thought OP must generate some serious power so this is all the gears that are needed.
    Let me clarify! While COASTING down grades and when used as a 3-speed, the bike shows great responsiveness without being all skittish and reactive like my Klein! I feel very safe on this bike, even when going pretty fast downhill. The bike I'm replacing also "flys like the wind" but it has a mind of its own so I apply the brakes at the slightest provocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All three of my bikes are lugged steel. Sweet to see a slender chromed fork with graceful crown and "skinny" tubing. Grow weary of seeing almost exclusively chubby and stubby iterations of classic bike frames among my friends. Tan sidewalls would enhance the look even more. Let's see...and gum hoods. Maybe spiral that computer wire around the brake cable housing, get some metal toe clips (Christophe), etc.

Forgive my bossiness....just re-living my more youthful years.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me clarify! While COASTING down grades and when used as a 3-speed, the bike shows great responsiveness without being all skittish and reactive like my Klein! I feel very safe on this bike, even when going pretty fast downhill. The bike I'm replacing also "flys like the wind" but it has a mind of its own so I apply the brakes at the slightest provocation.
    No clarification needed...It is a great bike and that is the gearing provided at that time. The Italian bikes of that time were geared high and one had to be a great shape to ride them. I am sure you will set it up so that it works for you and your terrain.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for simplifying it all for me. I was trying to stay with the exact era of parts because I wasn't sure how things changed when the 600/Ultegra went to just Ultegra. I didn't know all the parts were so interchangeable!!! Now, since I have a freewheel, is that going to mess with anything? I know chain width is an issue, but I think only for 9-10 speeds?

So do I have to take the BB out to find the spindle length to know what kind of compact crank I should order?

Actually, I like your triple recommendation. I like triples, just in general. I'll go price this stuff out.
    OK. Since you have a freewheel, you have to replace it with a freewheel. They are still available made by Shimano or Sunrace, though sizes are much more limited than in the good old days of Sachs freewheels.
    If you want a triple, my choice would be the Sugino XD600. Alfred E Bikes has the best price I've seen. Your BB spindle is probably 113 or 115mm. That may work just fine with the XD crank, or you may need a 118. I would try it if the existing one runs smoothly. If it is the loose ball bearing type, you can replace the bearings and repack it with grease. Or you can replace it with a cartridge type. Shimano UN54 or similar should be around $25.
    Have fun!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although my Klein was fun, when I went over 20 miles on it it just beat me up. So I have replaced it with this Mondonico! It is just as fun as the Klein, way prettier, and flys like the wind.
    Nice looking bike.

But you "replaced" a bike? I thought we were just supposed to add to our bikes
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that gearing, how are you doing going up hillls?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Nice looking bike.

But you "replaced" a bike? I thought we were just supposed to add to our bikes
    I have made a vow several times during my life. The first was when I was learning how to quilt, and met other quilters. Their homes were filled with fabric, floor to ceiling, that had collected dust for 30 years. I vowed I would never keep unused fabric.

Then, when I got into dogs and met dog people, I saw homes that were filled with dog art. (And TROPHIES!) I once was in a house where there was literally hundereds of dog things in the house. It was a collection which filled even the bathrooms. I started to get tons of dog-art presents for my birthday and Christmas. Whenever someone saw anything with a dog on it, they got it for me. I had dog hangars, dog watches, dog mugs, etc.

Now, I am a minimalist type person. I like and keep sentimental things, but I don't tend to accumulate things besides shoes and computer stuff. So, I told everyone that I was really into dog Christmas Ornaments. I now have over 100 dog ornaments, and the rest of my house is dog-art free! Not that I don't like* dog art... I just didn't want my hobby to overtake my life. I adore the dog ornaments, and it makes giving me gifts easy for people.

So, back to bikes. I was having breakfast with a friend and showing him the bike I was working on. He looked at me and said, "You're not going to be one of those old ladies who owns 40 cats, are you? Except the cats will be bikes?" So I made my third vow! I haven't decided on the number of bikes I'll limit myself to, but I will limit them!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    With that gearing, how are you doing going up hillls?
    I'm not! In fact I hurt my knee going up a hill in the easiest gear! The guy I bought it from used it as a commuter. He was the real deal. And a cool guy... he's into mushing, too, and I'm going to give him a Norwegian Kick Sled I've had sitting in the basement. I have met the coolest people in my Craig's List transactions.
    Last edited by solveg; 09-08-07 at 08:13 AM.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post

Thats me - almost 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I swear the conventions say I need a 56cm frame but I ride frames between 58cm and 64cm.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast