I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode two miles on my flat tire...

I got a flat today on my Continental GatorSkin rear tire. I was on this really bumpy road for a short distance, and noticed the bike was vibrating far more than usual. Got off, looked at the bike and saw nothing amiss.

Shortly afterwards, when I was on smooth pavement and the bike began handling poorly, I checked again. Sure enough, back tire was losing air. But I could still ride it, and I was only two miles from home, so I rode it slowly back home. Only problem was when the edge of the road was not level -- then the bike started to slide out from under me from the back.

Anyway, I got home. Tire completely flat. I'll change it later. Two questions:

1. Was it a big mistake to ride the bike with a flattening tire? Have I probably screwed up something else?

2. How hard are Continental Gatorskins to take on/off?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    1. Was it a big mistake to ride the bike with a flattening tire? Have I probably screwed up something else?
    You'll probably need to replace the bike
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know for sure, but I would have opted to push a bike with road wheels on it instead of riding it on a flat. Would be concerned about flattening the edge of the rims. On a mountain bike I would have less concern, but would probably still opt to push it.

200+ pounds on zero pressure tires doesn't sound like the right thing to do. But if there was as much as 20-30 pounds of pressure, and you were on a smooth surface, then I would ride them.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Darker colored bikes can withstand this sort of punishment but white bikes are sort of skittish.

If the rim is not chewed up it was ok.
    If the rim is chewed up it was not ok.

The tires will be easier to get off and you will feel better about it if the rim is ok.

Let us know what happens.........OK?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the worst that might happen is that you chew up the tire. Examine the sidewalls carefully. The tube is probably history as the valve stem probably got very stressed and no telling about any possible pinch flats. At best, just find the hole, patch it, inflate it and go.

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bus fare would be far cheaper than new rims. If it was not completely flat, you might be ok. Two miles, I think I'd walk. I'd think the tire is toast? On a really slow leak on ocassion, I have gotten by , by pumping it up once or twice in route. You have what you need to change out the tire in route?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatsamatter? You lose your cell phone or something?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This shouldn't be a problem for someone with your superior mechanical ability...
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have been possible to damage the tire and/or the rim. The tube is very probably shot.

Why not just take the 5 minutes and change it when you saw it?

You probably spent more time than that going slower than usual to get home.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no spare tube, and no pump, with me at the time.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - this happened to me in June... i was riding my $100 pawnshop special w/Shimano 540 wheelset... rear tire (700x27, yes 27, Speedblends and crapola Performance tube) went flat after crossing a RR junction under construction...

- it was hot out, and i didn't feel like stopping to fix the tire on the roadside, so i rode the next one and half miles home on the flat... specially 'cause i don't care about the 540s (i keep trying to curb hop to bust 'em up so i can switch over to my spare 36-spoke OpenPro/105 wheelset)...

- glad you made it home OK... i had a much better time fixing the flat while having a cold one in the shady garage than sweating my bobo off in the full sun and heat... rear tire's sidewalls seem fine, although YMMV depending on your tire set...

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Digital . Had you told us you had no spare, we would not have been awe struck. Our impressions, you are a pretty with it cyclist. Twice I commuted to work and discovered I left the pump on the other bike. I did not enjoy the rest of the commute to work. It could have been a long walk.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I seem to remember a thread about this where you concluded you didn't need tools or supplies to change a flat because you could always phone for help and you never got far from home. Do you still think it is a good idea to ride without "protection"?

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post

Why not just take the 5 minutes and change it when you saw it?
    Don't heed this DG!!! If you haven't practiced it, it will take much longer than 5 minutes.

My first attempt took 45 minutes. I could not get the tire off of the wheel.

Then I watched a bike shop owner change out a folding tire using only his bare hands and he did it within 3-4 minutes while holding a conversation with me. This LBS is 12 minutes from my house. It would have been faster to have driven there and back and have him change the tube than it was for me to do it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG - I can't speak for white bikes, but on my black bike I couldn't have gone 100 yards without the tire shredding, the tube blowing up, and 4 cyclists passing back, asking if I needed help and discovering I'm riding unprotected

Rims cost too much to ride without pressure in the tire, especially the rear. You can't avoid the bumps and potholes which bend rims, so I would also vote for getting off and walking. Once you've crawled home on flat tires, you will never leave home without the pump and spare tube . . . and on longer rides, I carry 2 tubes.

But like I said, it probably is different with white bikes, which as we all know, rule!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS -- I'm headed your way next week to watch a nephew become a full-fledged Marine at Camp Pendleton. The wife and I are taking bikes and hope to get a couple of fun rides in . . . any suggestions?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As previously noted there is the danger of doing damage to your wheel and tire. The Conti Gator Skins aren't that difficult to get off. The Kelvar beads I can do by hand the wire beads with two tire levers. The real danger you faced was that of being the biggest Fred of all time. Did anyone see you; that is, anyone of importance?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG

Hopefully no damage done but first of all check out the tyre. See if any Scuffs are on the sidewall. Then check the rim for damage where the rim may have run on the Tarmac. You may be lucky but No scuffs on either then fit a new tube- Or the repaired one if you are lucky and pump up to 60psi. If the tyre has any bulges or you can see the canvas on the sidewall- Then its new Tyre time. No bulges at 60- then up it to your normal pressure and leave for an hour- If there is any damage then the 100 psi will show it up.

Time to go retro -I think you can still get solid tyres in your size.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to be cycling you have to learn how to change a flat. It may take more than 5min, 10-15 at most, but walking home more than a mile or destroying a $200+ rim is just silly. If you get a slow leak and have a pump you can always do a pump and roll until you get home but with no pump and no tube your stuck. In that case your best result was your fallback of calling a cab, it would be cheaper than the rim most likely
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo, Freddie....were you ever a Boy Scout?

If you're going to be a "cyclist", you'll need to get a proper repair kit and learn how to use it. It's not rocket science.

And if you've FUBAR'ed your rims, perhaps that will be an expensive lesson to "Be Prepared". I find the expensive lessons are the ones that teach me the most (my first marriage being a good example of this).
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I say anywhere that I don't know how to change a flat? I don't think so.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I say anywhere that I don't know how to change a flat? I don't think so.
    Lacking the proper equipment, it doesn't make much difference whether or not you know how to fix a flat...either way, you're still incapable of dealing with a common cycling occurrence.

FWIW, most cyclists of my acquaintance deal with this by installing a small "seat bag" on their bikes. In these bags, they carry some small tools, a tube, a CO2 inflator, perhaps a patch kit, and some "phone home" money if all else fails.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't have been a problem if the tires had been whitewalls.....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    If you are going to be cycling you have to learn how to change a flat. It may take more than 5min, 10-15 at most,
    Sir, I must take exception to this statement!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast