Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclists attacked by dogs

Grampster and I were on these roads just a couple months ago. I've never seen these dogs out but can just imagine what the fellow went through. Good to hear he's not letting it deter him from getting back out.

www.wsoctv.com/news/14060813/detail.html

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its the 2nd time the dogs have attacked someone?

Bring Laywers, guns and money, this is the equivalent of an intentional assault by the owner and should be treated as such by the law.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprising thing is the comment that the OWNER will decide if the dogs will be put down. Over here a dog roaming loose is enough for the owner to be Prosecuted and if it so much as Barks at other people- then it can be classed as dangerous.

The owner of the two dogs seized was ticketed for not having his dogs tied up. It's the second time they've attacked someone, Animal Control said. After their quarantine, it will be left up to the owner to decide if they'll be put down or not.

Glad to see the Biker was not seriously injured but I think I would be worried about riding in that area till the Dogs are dealt with- Permanently.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disgusting. Somebody needs to hear from an attorney.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chain guns, rapid fire defensive guns for fairly close in defense on large ships like aircraft carriers, are actually named after small short ranged *******s developed in France in the 1800's to protect bicyclists and horsemen from dogs! 'Dog' in french is Chien! Sounds like they need some of these!
    Dogs like that might last an hour up here in ND, before their brains were available to test for rabies! If the owner sued the shooter, I'd love to see the results from the typical level headed ND jury!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya need one of those old Hop-A-Long Cassidy bikes with the holsters
    on it !!

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Increasing numbers of states have strict liability laws making the owner or landowner where the dog habitually hangs out liable for all damage. This works.

Example:

44-8-408. Dogs not allowed at large — Exception. —

It is unlawful for any person to allow a dog belonging to or under the control of such person, or that may be habitually found on premises occupied by the person, or immediately under the control of such person, to go upon the premises of another, or upon a highway or upon a public road or street . . .

The state follows the doctrine of negligence per se. A dog owner may be held strictly liable for a violation of Tenn. Code Ann. 44-8-408 without any finding of negligence.

Which explains the line in the letter from the dog owner's insurance company:

"We have determined that our insured is legally responsible for this loss. We will continue to work with you to evaluate your claim and to reach a settlement with you under this coverage."

That accompanied a check maxing out the medical part of their coverage. Another check covered property damage in full. No fight, nothing. The law works. Of course, one has to approach things appropriately!

And I notice their dogs aren't at large any more.

Now the other ones . . . Think I'll start mailing a letter to everyone with a loose dog. I can usually tell which mailbox dogs belong to!

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Grampster and I were on these roads just a couple months ago. I've never seen these dogs out but can just imagine what the fellow went through. Good to hear he's not letting it deter him from getting back out.

www.wsoctv.com/news/14060813/detail.html
    That's where I ride! It's also why I carry spray.

My Bikes
    2000 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC (100%stock)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't outrun loose dogs you shouldn't be on a bike. J/K
    I took a new route today and got chased 2x in less than a mile. It's ridiculous.
    The first was kind of funny. It was like 15 chihuahua-mix dogs coming after me. I initially slowed thinking they would back off at the last minute but they came out onto the road and I didn't want them to become pancakes so I bolted. 2nd time was two mean-as-hades-demondogs who wanted some human calf muscle to chew on
    Rural areas are great places to ride but man! That's a "rush" I could do without.

Close your fences hillbillies!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    That's where I ride! It's also why I carry spray.
    I ride out that way a good bit myself and have not seen any dogs on the loose.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the second reason I carry Mace!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some crazy laws in Alabama about dogs. You need to know what the laws are where you ride but you can always defend yourself. I saw a news report a few days ago that one city council member had killed someones dog because the dog killed some livestock. The council member denies the charges but if convicted could serve up to a year. I would like to see a law that said that once a dogs toenails touch the asphalt that it could be killed with no questions asked. I like dogs and don't mind being barked at but when I start getting chased I feel like this is a dangerous situation due to cars trying to dodge dogs and who knows where the dog is going to end up if it gets hit by a car. I have seen deer hit by cars and the deer turns into a flying missle with very little guidance.

My Bikes
    '04 Litespeed Classic 9sp Dura-ace, '03 Specialized Sequoia(for the gravel trails around DuPage Cty), '75 Fuji Finest (deep navy w/mixed components), '94 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started riding a road bike in the country outside of Des Moines and Iowa City in the 70's I found out the first time I became the aggressor and went after the dogs on my bike they actually ran away. I was shocked, amused and really happy to find when dogs would chase after me, if I just turned my bike around and went after them, they would turn and run. It's been years(decades) since then, now in Illinois and ride Wisconsin roads at times, that this is so rare that I haven't had to do so since the 70's.
    You know, I think I'll quit my job and ride my bike full time...you gotta have goals

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mace, Never leave home for a road ride without it.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have Halt ... Will Travel.

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I ride out that way a good bit myself and have not seen any dogs on the loose.
    There are several loose dogs that run around on St. John's Church Road not far from the church. And a week or so ago I saw a loose goat near the High School. (It was no threat as far as I could tell. )

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live, a dog has to bite someone to be delcared vicious. It's funny that I can get an injunction to stop a person from threatening or harrassing me; however, I can't do anything about the big yellow dog that tries to bite me on one of my usual riding routes until the dog actually bites me. Being as I now ride a bent, I'm thinking about figuring out how to mount a shot ***--after all, it is dove season.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I was riding in a rural area, I saw a sign on a fence warning of a "bad dog". As I drew even with the driveway gate a large, dark colored dog cleared it with ease. I started pumping as hard as I could and never looked back. At first he was close enough to hear his toe nails clicking on the pavement behind me. When I finally felt safe enough to look back, he was gone. I had to return by the same route a few hours later and went by at full speed but didn't see anything. That was 35+ years ago and I can still see him in my memory coming over that fence. Adrenalin is really useful at times like that.
    Pray toward Heaven but row toward shore.

My Bikes
    1997 Cannondale Cad 3, 1972 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1969 Zeus, 1987 7/11 Team Bike, Schwinn Fixie. 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Centurion IronMan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live not to far from where this happened. In this county if there are three complaints about a dog the owner must go to court to prove the dog is safe or not a problem. The person complaining has the power not the owner.This is for something as simple as barking. If I was attacked I would ride the road again and take my "Hush Puppy". It is a Ruger .22 with a built in silencer. It was used by Special Forces for killing sentry dogs and the people who the dogs were protecting in Vietnam. Last week while driving in Charlotte I saw a biker get chased by two dogs. I pulled over and called the police and they were there in a few minutes. They called animal control and they took the dogs away. There is a very strict leash law here.
    Ed

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    There are some crazy laws in Alabama about dogs. You need to know what the laws are where you ride but you can always defend yourself. .
    Here's a link to leash laws by state. Ohio leaves it up to the local municipality. The city I live in has some very strict leash laws. The local park districts also have leash laws and they enforce them

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovusdogleashlaws.htm
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to ride rural areas in Colorado in the 70's and had to outrun a lot of dogs. It was just a given then, if you were in a rural area you would find dogs on farms who were agressive. Many of these dogs were on farms because they were too agressive to live in the city.
    I had a good friend who rode across Canada with his new bride on his honeymoon. With all the extra gear they had to pack along, they weren't in any shape to be outrunning dogs all the time. His weapon was a zefal frame pump. He believed that was the highest recommendation for a zefal pump - he had hit dozens of dogs with it and it still worked!

Ted

My Bikes
    Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "fight or flee" response applies here and most of the time I will confront the dog if there is no option for safely out riding the pup. There are times due to the route, your riding up a hill, cars are close by or just finishing up a 4 hour ride that you can't beat him in a sprint or just plain get out of his way. One trick that has never failed me (so far) is to get off the bike pick up a rock or pine cone and through it over his head. He'll go after it and forget about you. If no large rock handy grab a handfull of gravel from the side of the road and throw it right at him. It will confuse him and off you go. Always remember to keep the bike between you and him at all times. For you city/suburb riders with no ammo around the road carry a half of a power bar and toss it at the dogs feet. It will take him a while to chew it. I live in a county with no leash laws and have to deal with dogs at least a few times a month.

My Bikes
    CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT, Rodriguez , Bike Friday, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't the dogs fault, go after the owner. That is my sentiment and opinion, however reality says that no one wants to look like lunchmeat and you do not debate with dogs or children. Mace, bear spray, deer spray (really stinks and both the owner and the dog get to share that!) all work pretty well if they are available quickly. I think the firearm option is not very good. Most people don't practice and you would be shooting from a bike at a moving target. It would always be loaded (unloaded guns are useless and very dangerous -"the man thought the *** was unloaded" "accidental discharges kill more people and cause more pregnancies..."). It sounds macho, but is a pretty dumb idea on a number of levels. The bike pump is always with you. i like the option of hauling ass and then contacting the owner later. It is just a poorly trained, improperly cared for dog.

My Bikes
    1976 Pugeot road bike with potatochipped wheels, '98 Huffy MTB with bad wheel, '2000 Mongoose hybrid with bad shifters & my newest ont, '73 Nishiki road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the mid 70s, I was often chased by a dog as I rode up a hill, and it really bothered me with traffic zipping by on one side and a dog barking/snapping on the other. Usually I just outran dogs, but that hill was just too long and steep to do that. After about a week, I realized I had my bike lock & chain hanging around my neck. The next morning, I slipped it off as I approached, and held it in my right hand. Here came the dog. When it was too close for comfort, I swung the chain and it smacked the dog right across the snout. It didn't say a thing, just ran back home. The next day, I got ready again as I approached. Here came the dog, barking for all it was worth, but it never got any closer than about 50 feet!! I loved it.

When running I always had good success by turning around and going after the dogs that came after me. In the early 80s I had a friend who had been bitten twice within a couple years, and when he ran a certain route, he wanted me to go with him because of the dogs. One day I heard the clicking of toenails on the pavement and looked behind just in time to whirl and face a huge dog, teeth bared, not barking, bent on tasting our flesh. I clenched my fists, and pulled back to smash its nose, but when it saw me stop, it put on the brakes and about that time, the owner hollered at it and it ran home. Poor Dave about had a heart attack, and I was so pumped with adrenalin, I felt like sprinting the last 2 miles home.
    Persistence & determination outweigh talent & genius

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awanabug,

You and I have the same attitude. I just ignore even the meanest dog until it is close enough to confront. I turn and ask the b%%%%tard to come a little closer so I can rip it's f####ing head off. They invariably seem to understand me and stop in their tracks.

I always figure if it comes to blows, I can throw my bike on top of it, smash it down good till I can grab it's throat, pick it up and carry it kicking and choking to a fence where I will impale it on a t-post like a gutted catfish.

Seems to work for me.

Tyson
    Cushing, oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast