Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My second century

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My second century

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My second century

Yesterday dawned dark and dreary w/the weather oracle predicting rain, rain and more rain. But in the human breast, hope springs eternal (thank you Alexander Pope) and off I drove w/my cycling partner to Findlay for the Hancock Horizontal Hundred.

Despite the fact we had no map and only our wits to guide us (extremely risky behavior) we arrived at the start to mount our trusty steel steeds.

To inspire us on the dreary way were our bikejournal buddies, Dave and Jane, and Larry. Imagine how difficult it was to refrain from congratulating ourselves on our vigor and determination. More timid souls likely would not be riding in the adverse conditions. But here we were, stalwart, determined, indefatigable, and very, very soggy. Only the most discerning of imbeciles would consider riding a bicycle 100 miles in the pouring rain, commuting 4 hours by car and paying 21 dollars for the privilege.

Despite the conditions, or maybe because of them, I closed the day w/a personal best time for the 100 mile distance. Due in no small part to unambiguous sandbagging by yours truly, coupled w/copious drafting off Dave and Jane on their tandem, I stopped the clock at 5:52 at 100 miles for an average speed of 17mph.

This is an improvement of over one full hour over my previous century time.

Whether or not this feat is a testament to my new bike, my strong, capable and longsuffering cycling buddies, my sandbagging and drafting, or a combination thereof, I do not know. I only know, it will be a very, very long time, if ever, before I am able to shave a full hour off my PR for a century ride.

Colleen
Old 09-10-07, 04:01 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take those PR's anyway you can get them, good job!!
Old 09-10-07, 04:52 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17mph

THAT'S GREAT FOR A CENTURY!!!!!!!!!

I can't remember a faster time being on this forum.
Old 09-10-07, 05:09 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow! Great job! I doubt I could be as dedicated, about anything.
Old 09-10-07, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Colleen-

I just noticed you're in Lagrange - I grew up in New London, even closer to nowhere than Lagrange. Lots of rain in Findley, heh? Seems that's been the story of this summer. Tremendous time, nonetheless. You shouldbe proud.
Old 09-10-07, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm fortunate to average 17 mph on my 20-mile after work rides.

That's totally outstanding!!!!

Congratulations!
Old 09-10-07, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhhh it's a testament to Serotta Bikes and the miracles that come to those who ride them...

Either that or WOW momof4greatkids, you make me jealous as hell of your riding ability....

Congratulations! That is an impressive number. VERY impressive.
Old 09-10-07, 07:16 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations, Mom!! What an accomplishment.
Old 09-11-07, 06:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Ahhhh it's a testament to Serotta Bikes and the miracles that come to those who ride them...

Either that or WOW momof4greatkids, you make me jealous as hell of your riding ability....

Congratulations! That is an impressive number. VERY impressive.
thank you thank you thank you! What a nice compliment.

I love my new bike....it really shines on the longer distances, and what a difference the fitting makes.

When I rode my last century on my hybrid I felt *horrible* for the last 40 miles....my upper body just ached and it was tough to hold my tongue and not whine. I just kept my head down and my eye on the wheel ahead and toughed it out.

But this time, I felt really good, just the expected discomfort, some numbness in the butt, etc. I actually felt pretty good finishing and was even able to take my turn at the some pulls on the front into the headwind for the last 20 miles.

Yes, conserving energy by drafting off my friends on the tandem helped a lot too
Old 09-11-07, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I think it is the second century that is the hardest. After the first, you know what you're in for on the second. Congrats on a great ride.
Old 09-11-07, 07:03 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congratulations! A great ride.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-11-07, 07:45 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Way to go. You're a seasoned vet now!
Old 09-11-07, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Congratulation, mom, the TDF will be coming up, keep training, you'll do good.
Old 09-11-07, 08:02 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
Despite the conditions, or maybe because of them, I closed the day w/a personal best time for the 100 mile distance. Due in no small part to unambiguous sandbagging by yours truly, coupled w/copious drafting off Dave and Jane on their tandem, I stopped the clock at 5:52 at 100 miles for an average speed of 17mph.
It was nice to meet you on the ride. Well it was at first, as you passed me...once I spotted that tandem I was just jealous - I wanted a tandem to wheelsuck, dambit! The wind over the final 25 just plain sucked, and even though Cheri took a turn up front to give me a break now and then, she's too small to break much wind.

Great job on your personal best...hope to see you out there next year....with better weather!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-11-07, 08:10 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yesterday dawned dark and dreary w/the weather oracle predicting rain, rain and more rain. But in the human breast, hope springs eternal (thank you Alexander Pope) and off I drove w/my cycling partner to Findlay for the Hancock Horizontal Hundred.

Despite the fact we had no map and only our wits to guide us (extremely risky behavior) we arrived at the start to mount our trusty steel steeds.

To inspire us on the dreary way were our bikejournal buddies, Dave and Jane, and Larry. Imagine how difficult it was to refrain from congratulating ourselves on our vigor and determination. More timid souls likely would not be riding in the adverse conditions. But here we were, stalwart, determined, indefatigable, and very, very soggy. Only the most discerning of imbeciles would consider riding a bicycle 100 miles in the pouring rain, commuting 4 hours by car and paying 21 dollars for the privilege.

This is an improvement of over one full hour over my previous century time.

Whether or not this feat is a testament to my new bike, my strong, capable and longsuffering cycling buddies, my sandbagging and drafting, or a combination thereof, I do not know. I only know, it will be a very, very long time, if ever, before I am able to shave a full hour off my PR for a century ride.

Colleen
Wonderful, Colleen. You must have had a "watchful sprite", to continue the Pope references, over you during the ride. Well done!

Old 09-11-07, 08:25 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Congrats.
Old 09-11-07, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
It was nice to meet you on the ride. Well it was at first, as you passed me...once I spotted that tandem I was just jealous - I wanted a tandem to wheelsuck, dambit! The wind over the final 25 just plain sucked, and even though Cheri took a turn up front to give me a break now and then, she's too small to break much wind.

Great job on your personal best...hope to see you out there next year....with better weather!
Chip, you must have a small fortune there in your bike stable in the Brooks saddles alone! Gotta love those Brooks saddles. I'm gonna get me one as soon as my pocketbook recovers from my recent bike purchase.

I had the best riding partners a person could want on Sunday. I wish you had tagged onto our little train! That headwind at the end was tough.

Yet, we live to ride another day!
Old 09-11-07, 12:23 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Chip, you must have a small fortune there in your bike stable in the Brooks saddles alone! Gotta love those Brooks saddles. I'm gonna get me one as soon as my pocketbook recovers from my recent bike purchase.

I had the best riding partners a person could want on Sunday. I wish you had tagged onto our little train! That headwind at the end was tough.

Yet, we live to ride another day!
Well I kinda wanted to latch on...but after doing all the pulling for 80-some miles - the last 12 in that darned wind, I didn't have the juice and went OTB quick. You crushed the souls of a lot of them other folks who did manage to catch on - Cheri and I passed them again up the road.

You might look at a Terry Butterfly saddle like Cheri has...she loves it better than her old Brooks.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-11-07, 12:38 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Well I kinda wanted to latch on...but after doing all the pulling for 80-some miles - the last 12 in that darned wind, I didn't have the juice and went OTB quick. You crushed the souls of a lot of them other folks who did manage to catch on - Cheri and I passed them again up the road.

You might look at a Terry Butterfly saddle like Cheri has...she loves it better than her old Brooks.
Chip- As a Tandem rider- I can tell you that they are great soul crushers. Just feel glad that you didn't break the tow on Mom as I think you would have heard a few choice words.

Mom-

I am hoping that was a flat ride with a lot of downhill as That speed on that distance is faster than my average on 20 mile rides- just Like doctorj.

Pie ride on Saturday so what have you got planned to better that ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-11-07, 12:39 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations Colleen!

Drafting notwithstanding, as far as I'm concerned you completed a triple century (100 miles + pouring rain + stalwart determination to do something that most people wouldn't even consider).
Old 09-11-07, 12:42 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Chip- As a Tandem rider- I can tell you that they are great soul crushers. Just feel glad that you didn't break the tow on Mom as I think you would have heard a few choice words.
When she passed us, Mom and a few others were towing the tandem!
Old 09-11-07, 12:45 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oy...17mph average in the rain! I had planned on a second century at the Peach of a Ride Sunday past but the rain kept me in. Yes, I am a wimp, a fair-weather cyclist. And now you've rubbed it in!

Wheelsucking a tandem is always a good idea if you can keep up!
Old 09-11-07, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Congratulations Colleen!

Drafting notwithstanding, as far as I'm concerned you completed a triple century (100 miles + pouring rain + stalwart determination to do something that most people wouldn't even consider).

so, Jen, that really counts like 300 miles for me, right?!?!

(disclaimer for the ironically impaired: the above post is a meant in jest)
Old 09-11-07, 08:16 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so, Jen, that really counts like 300 miles for me, right?!?!

(disclaimer for the ironically impaired: the above post is a meant in jest)

At least 300 !!
Old 09-11-07, 09:47 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Let's hope the tandem had a rear fender . . . otherwise you'd be getting a faceful of roadspray!
Have ridden HHH twice (years ago: 1975 and 1995) and also the Slow Spokes of Macomb Peach of a Ride in the Romeo area.
Bering tandem riders, we don't mind a few wheelsuckers now and then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.