Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Rode my age

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my age

again... that makes twice this week I've done 56 miles. I've put 187 miles on the bike this week in 4 days of riding which is pretty good for me.

I'm finally getting the saddle dialed in and the comfort is coming along nicely. I need to make up my mind about which clipless pedals to go with, but just keep reading threads about that for now while I meditate on it.

I've lost about 5 lbs and about 10 points on the blood pressure (which wasn't high anyway). The trend is good. I'd like to lose another 12 lbs or so. Hope I haven't reached that level off point yet.

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work! I love my clipless pedals, especially because of the nice, stiff-soled shoes that are used with them. If you're trying to ride more than a couple of hrs w/o stopping, cycling shoes can be a big help.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What clipless are you riding NAF?

I think I prefer a walk around type shoe... which means MTB shoes and SPD or CB, I think. I'm considering the Mallet or Quattro in the CB line. Since I've never ridden clipless before, I have no experience by which to judge what will work best for me. Shucks, I'm still figuring out what shoes work with what clipless.

In my present state of ignorance, I prefer shoes like this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/735336

I'm interested in hearing others experience with clipless and what works for them and why. The multiple threads here have been interesting for me to read as I try to do a virtual clipless trial before jumping in (with both feet).

My riding tends to be 2 to 3 hours or so with some short stops thrown in.

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turn 61 this week! No better than I have been doing in this hot weather there is no way that I will be able to ride my age.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    What clipless are you riding NAF?

I think I prefer a walk around type shoe... which means MTB shoes and SPD or CB, I think. I'm considering the Mallet or Quattro in the CB line. Since I've never ridden clipless before, I have no experience by which to judge what will work best for me. Shucks, I'm still figuring out what shoes work with what clipless.

In my present state of ignorance, I prefer shoes like this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/735336

I'm interested in hearing others experience with clipless and what works for them and why. The multiple threads here have been interesting for me to read as I try to do a virtual clipless trial before jumping in (with both feet).

My riding tends to be 2 to 3 hours or so with some short stops thrown in.
    I like that shoe. I presently ride its last years version the 038. This shoe can be walked in because the sole has a nice rocker to it, has a smooth surface tread and the cleat is recessed. It is better thatn the m020 (probably now the 022 or 23) in that the velcro strap keeps the laces from getting into your chain/chainwheel. This shoe is adequate for anyone using SPD pedals in a non hardcore (mud and carrying the bike) application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    I turn 61 this week! No better than I have been doing in this hot weather there is no way that I will be able to ride my age.
    No problem, I rode your age today for you!
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that perspective, maddmaxx. I'm tempted by the CB Quattro clipless pedals, but have read somewhere that newbies to clipless should avoid Quattro.

Having ridden platforms for so long, I feel more comfy with a platform like the Quattro or Mallet pedals. But that may be an unnecessary comfort zone.

The Quattros seem to be somewhat of a compromise between road and MTB clipless designs. At least, CB calls them road pedals. And if they fit a shoe I can walk around in like the MT-40, that's attractive to me at this point.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No riding for me today. Only needed 13 miles to hit 200 for the week, but the water heater decided to break this morning. We just finished the job up a short while ago.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    Riding in hot weather is no fun....wait for the cooler months
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a couple days layoff, I rode a 50 miler today.

It's interesting... mileage seems to be more mental than physical. I can remember not long ago when I thought 25 miles was a long ride. That's just a warmup now. Next goal is a metric century.

Maybe one day, a century. Except for the time required, I could see doing this. But a double century ... hmm... now that strikes me as outta my league. And so the mental game continues...

My Bikes
    Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our club, you are expected to lead a 60 mile ride when you turn 60.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was the day. Did my metric and some change (64.3 miles). I felt better at the end than I did at the mid-point.... which I thought was sorta strange.

Two weeks with the new bike and I rolled past the 400 mile mark on it today. I fear the hybrid is feeling left out. But not to worry. I have some CB Candy SL pedals coming that I plan to try out on the hybrid. I figure I'll do my clipless learning (0 mph crashes) on the old bike.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My metric ride was the oddest experience. I've only done three 40+ rides in my life (all this summer). The 41 miler was kinda draining, not too bad but I was tired at the end. The 43 miler was in high humidity 90 degree heat and I was utterly exhausted. Could barely get the bike to the car.

But the metric (64 miler) was relatively easy. Took a long time, of course, but I remember looking at my computer at the 56 mile mark and thinking, "Hey, I'm not even tired!" I felt better, with more energy, at the 55 mile mark than I had at the 5 mile mark. If I hadn't stopped to treat my wife to dinner, I feel I could have easily gone into the 70s. For whatever reason, it was a magical day.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have used the M20 for a couple of years now and they are OK in mud. Not that I should really know as I Don't walk that often- The M40 , due to the velcro strap keeping the laces out of Chains is a safer bet though.

I think Mad Max uses them as well but On the Pedals- The Shimano M520's are cheap reliable and good. However- if on the road, The A520 has proved to be more comfortable for me over longer distances.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is interesting Tom. If I had more time, I feel I could have taken it further too. And I seriously considering quitting at the halfway point. The route took me back to the house at the midway point... so it would have been easy to stop short. I find a short rest refreshes me pretty quickly (fortunately!).

I know I won't be able to keep this level of riding activity up for long... due to work schedules and of course fall and winter weather. But I'm enjoying it for now.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam,

The M520:
    http://tinyurl.com/32jx7v

The A520:
    http://tinyurl.com/2sb3lt

The A520 looks like it's single sided. Are they equivalent in terms of ease of clipping in/out? I'm not sure the Shimano site is up-to-date.

The CB Candy pedals that are coming were an Ebay mistake in bidding. If I put the Candy on the hybrid, I'll either have to get another set of CB (maybe Quattro pedals) for the road bike, or get a separate pair of shoes if I put spd pedals on it.

Still sorting out the clipless debate in my mind. The only thing I know I want are recessed cleats so I can walk with minimal difficulty.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like the Candy pedals, I would stick with one of the Crank Bros. models. I love the eggbeaters on my MTB and I use Smarty pedals for casual road riding (Looks for the long rides). I don't think the psuedo platforms make a lot of difference except making it possible to ride the bike a short ways with regular shoes if you need to.
    What was it about the Quattros that you heard saying they were bad for beginners?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BluesDawg,

The pseudo-platforms appear to give me a comfort zone which I probably don't need. I read a review of the Quattros somewhere that indicated the Quattro was not a good first clipless pedal. I don't recall the reason now.

I may go ahead and put the Candy pedals on the hybrid and maybe try some SPDs on the road bike. That way I can get a feel for a couple of different styles of clipless. I'll have to pick up another pair of shoes, but it may be worth it.

Those A520s are somewhat attractive to me... with that pseudo-platform. Does the platform provide any support at all? But I don't think I want to be fumbling with turning a pedal right side up to clip in from a start. Maybe it's not that big a deal.