User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1200 and Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Southern Winter Wear

I live in east central Florida and and every winter there are about 3 weeks when the temp makes my summer shorts and short jersey uncomfortable. Seems that regular cold climate bike cloths would cause me to have a melt down. Any ideas on what is appropriate for temp range of 32- 50 degrees. Maybe I'm just cold blooded as these temps don't seem extreme. I guess it could be the 15-18 mph wind along with the temp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve-

I'm about 20 miles north of you in the county seat. I have one pair of long cycling tights and one long-sleeved jersey. I also have a few long-sleeved tee shirts (Ron Jons has good ones) and a light wind jacket. Those clothes are almost always enough for Florida winters. I need a head covering of some sort for those days when the wind is tough on the ears.

Will you be at the Intercoastal Century next month?

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arm warmers, leg warmers and a lightweight shell jacket should do it. You might consider a base layer (wicking t-shirt) as well. Everything in the list except the wicking t-shirt are easily removable as the temperature rises. If the temperature is closer to 32, you'll want full-fingered gloves and maybe a headband for your ears.

However, the problem around here (central Texas) is not the temperature, per se. It's the fact that you don't have any chance to grow accustomed to the lower temperatures. We can have 80 degrees in the morning and a 50-degree drop in the afternoon when the cold front blows in.

-soma5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down here in the south I find that fleece lined leg warmers and arm warmers, along with one jacket with zip off sleeves, will do me for most of the winter. I do have two set of booties, one group covers the whole foot and the other just the toes. I own only one pair of bib tights and two long sleve jerseys.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temps above freezing and it is shorts for me. Obviously a wicking base layer as you will still sweat but an outer windproof layer should suffice aswell. Don't know if you have it over there but there is a material called Roubaix. Developed for the Paris-Roubaix ride that is normally not in the best of weathers. Bit of rain and a bit cool. This Roubaix material is just waterproof for the odd shower- Is warm and is Windproof. What is more important is that it breaths.

Now if it is just a bit cooler- Then I have KNickers. Long shorts that cover the knees. I also use a Pertex top that will fold away quite small- just in case I do need a little more warmth as it is completely windproof but still breaths again.

Hands and feet. Seal Skinz waterproof socks as they are warm and windproof (But still breath) and I use a pair of "Civilian" gloves that are warm. Mine are a "Fashion" pair made by Kickers (Hey- I have actually got some designer clothing) but they were in a sale and are windproof. They offer no padding for cycling so are worn over the Cycling Gloves.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan