Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my age at the Civil War Half-Century

Did a nice ride in the hills of northern Maryland up into Gettysburg this morning. I think I really should have ridden 51 miles, since my birthday's less than a month away, but for now I'm still 50 so it counts.

I have decided that the fun stops after 40 miles, especially when it gets hot and I'm riding into a headwind.

But now I'm having a Mike's hard lemonade and thinking about mowing the lawn...

nothing to see here Turkey Feathers's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Kona MTB, Cdale CAAD9 road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I'm just a youngster (35), but I can certainly respect your ride distance. I did the 64 mile variation, would like to have done the full 100, but your right, it was hot at the end.
    Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be...
    '06 Kona Cinder Cone > * - '07 Cannondale CAAD9 >*

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How was it? I really wanted to come up and do the Century but I had a commitment until pretty late Friday afternoon and just didn't have enough time to drive up.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Finish the lemonade and rethink the thinking about mowing the lawn- Bad idea after a ride like that- The wife might expect the lawn to be cut after every ride.

Well done and just sit there and Think about mowing the lawn. Have a beer with the next lemonade and the lawn can wait till tomorrow- Oh the recovery ride tomorrow so it will have to be cut monday.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Finish the lemonade and rethink the thinking about mowing the lawn- Bad idea after a ride like that- The wife might expect the lawn to be cut after every ride.

Well done and just sit there and Think about mowing the lawn. Have a beer with the next lemonade and the lawn can wait till tomorrow- Oh the recovery ride tomorrow so it will have to be cut monday.
    Well, except I AM the wife, the there's no husband. So if I don't mow it, it doesn't get done. I mowed just the front, since that's all people see. (And hard lemonade is beer, only tastier. yum...)

Jppe, the ride was great, but it got a bit warm about 11, and humid. It's very well supported, good food at the rest stops, and friendly people who all passed by me, some several times.

Janice

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What- You can ride a bike on a Half Century- You can think about mowing the lawn and you drink Beer- Time to get a friend to help you out- I hear DG is still looking for a Ride partner but I don't know if he's a gardener.

Definitley think about the recovery ride thought. Just a gentle 5 to 10 miles at a steady pace to get the legs working. Thats if you are still not cutting the grass and the "Lemonade" didn't get to you too much.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What- You can ride a bike on a Half Century- You can think about mowing the lawn and you drink Beer- Time to get a friend to help you out- I hear DG is still looking for a Ride partner but I don't know if he's a gardener.

Definitley think about the recovery ride thought. Just a gentle 5 to 10 miles at a steady pace to get the legs working. Thats if you are still not cutting the grass and the "Lemonade" didn't get to you too much.
    To be clear, I'm looking for a ride partner with a pump and some tubes. Now back to the original thread.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No biking for me today...I'm off for an all-day kayaking lesson at REI. Gotta learn how to use that new boat I bought last weekend.

And for the record, I've got 4 spare tubes and three mini pumps at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Did a nice ride in the hills of northern Maryland up into Gettysburg this morning. I think I really should have ridden 51 miles, since my birthday's less than a month away, but for now I'm still 50 so it counts.

I have decided that the fun stops after 40 miles, especially when it gets hot and I'm riding into a headwind.

Congrats on what sounds like a great ride!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice ride, despite the heat & headwind. The rides that are at least somewhat challenging are the most rewarding, aren't they?

When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta get together sometime, I did the century, my wife did the metric. I have a separate post w/ some pictures but it was a well organized and beautiful ride. There's a nice organized ride this coming Saturday, check it out:

DC area metric century/picnic

There will be two groups, a slower 45 miler and a faster 63 miler. We'd love to see you!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. I'm looking forward to doing that one day. Pictures?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us prefer to call this ride "the Century of Northern Aggression"
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pixs in a separate thread I posted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    Gotta get together sometime, I did the century, my wife did the metric. I have a separate post w/ some pictures but it was a well organized and beautiful ride. There's a nice organized ride this coming Saturday, check it out:

DC area metric century/picnic

There will be two groups, a slower 45 miler and a faster 63 miler. We'd love to see you!
    I saw that ride over on the women's forum. But a bunch of women I met at Cycle Across Maryland are getting together for a ride and dinner that day, so I can't make it.

Great pictures! (I think I took the very same picture in Gettysburg.)