User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ride 20 miles in an hour....

.... and I ride 20 miles in 2 hours (newbie on a heavy hybrid), can't I just multiply my mileage X 2 and say I rode 40 miles? I mean, isn't it time in the saddle that counts?

By that calculation today I rode my age.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might aswell do it all downhill as that is easier aswell.

No
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, no..... I actually pedaled almost the entire 25+ miles, up and down. We can't ride far without encountering some sort of incline or hill, and I prefer to pedal downhill when I can.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ride 20 miles in an hour, then I must have found a 20 mile stretch that was all down hill.

We've had threads here in the past where we've reported on how many hours we ride, instead of miles. And I've written in threads on saddles and handlebars that I need more comfort on a 40 mile ride than many others, since I'm in the saddle for so much longer on a 40 mile ride.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    If I ride 20 miles in an hour, then I must have found a 20 mile stretch that was all down hill.

We've had threads here in the past where we've reported on how many hours we ride, instead of miles. And I've written in threads on saddles and handlebars that I need more comfort on a 40 mile ride than many others, since I'm in the saddle for so much longer on a 40 mile ride.
    I've been thinking about this a lot, and it seems to me that hours ridden is more important than miles, since we are at different fitness levels and ride different types/weight of bikes. For an elite roadie, 20 miles may be like a walk around the neighborhood. To me, it takes twice as long and at least twice as much effort. So, in terms of time, effort, and perseverence, I win.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah- But the thing to do if you want to ride your age-Is to convert to Kilometres and not tell us about it. Now if you are doing 10mph on a 20 mile ride on a heavy hybrid. then you have to train a bit more. And find that downhill course. Best by far is to find a road that follows a river and start upstream on the river.

And as to that hours in the saddle- Longest I have done was 100 miles in 13 hours- Less than 8 MPH but I did have an excuse. First time we did the Offroad South Downs Way on the Tandem
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    it seems to me that hours ridden is more important than miles
    Fine. Then ride your age in hours.

FWIW, you'll get no sympathy from me for riding a Giant Cypress. I've done rides of 55, 69 and 74 miles on my Cypress DX--twice in cargo shorts, once in jeans.

Pics here and here.

Oh yeah, in one of them I was wearing a knee brace too.
    Last edited by tsl; 09-08-07 at 03:16 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post

FWIW, you'll get no sympathy from me for riding a Giant Cypress. I've done rides of 55, 69 and 74 miles on my Cypress DX--twice in cargo shorts, once in jeans.

Pics here and here.
    Sympathy? I was trying to make my point by comparing bikes. We hope to double this by the end of this year, getting there one ride at a time. Yesterday was almost 22 miles, today was almost 26, tomorrow ???, and this is after my recent layoff to give my hips a rest (to no avail) and, for me, that's just sayin' a lot.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about this a lot, and it seems to me that hours ridden is more important than miles, since we are at different fitness levels and ride different types/weight of bikes. For an elite roadie, 20 miles may be like a walk around the neighborhood. To me, it takes twice as long and at least twice as much effort. So, in terms of time, effort, and perseverence, I win.
    To mangle a cliché, whatever floats your bike. I happen to prefer
    calories/hour and hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average heart rate over the number of hours would be the most meaningful way of quantifying a recreational ride, I think. Noting the number of miles you cover is largely cosmetic...your cardiovascular system doesn't respond to that number.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now..............I spend a great deal of time building the bike that I will ride my age with..............I could probably "build" my age in hours...

Then.........Tom spends a great many hours sampling bikes.......................................

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are other factors in miles gone in a day. Such as:
    How hard have you ridden in the past?
    How strong a wind are you riding in?
    How much air pressure are in your tires?
    What kind of tires do you have?
    How much does your bike + extras weigh?
    How much do you weigh?
    Temperature
    What kind of shape you are in?
    What kind of elevation are you climbing?
    What is the condition of the road surface?
    Traffic, stoplights & stop signs

It is hard enough to compare how I did on the same route 2 different days. Let alone compare 2 different people. But miles is our unit of expression.

Some day there will be a fancy power meter where all this will be taken into account. Hopefully for less than a days pay.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone, say, rides a century in 5 hours, and someone else rides a century in 6.5 hours, did the fast rider do less work 'cause he was on the bike less time? Hmmm.....LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smiles per ride. 67 smiles per ride = ride my age!

Or, if you like, smiles per hour. 67 smiles per hour, and you get a speeding ticket.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can ride my age in minutes........seems to get harder every year, though.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 2006 Tour de France they ran a 181km time trial and the top riders averaged about 31 mph.

It would take about 3 hr 13 min to ride a century at 31 mph.

So if you ride for 3 hr 13 min, then you've been spinning your cranks just as long as a pro rider would to ride a century.

Another option is to use Venus years. They are extremely close to using the metric system. A Venus year is 0.615 Earth years. Or 1 Earth year = 1.625 (1 5/8ths) Venus years.

So if you ride 32 miles, that matches an age of 52 Venus years. And we all know that women are from Venus.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... and I ride 20 miles in 2 hours (newbie on a heavy hybrid), can't I just multiply my mileage X 2 and say I rode 40 miles? I mean, isn't it time in the saddle that counts?

Hey now...If you're only 20...what are you doing posting in here with us geezers?
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are absolutely correct. Aerobic exercise is based more on time and heart rate than on miles.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, by all this cadence would be a factor. You'd get more aerobic workout spinning at 90 rpm, going say 12 mph, than you would spinning 60 rpm going 17 mph over the same distance.

meandering nomad
    My Bikes
    eleven bikes no car
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right, then I want extra credit for using the '54 raleigh sports to ride my age. If I keep going I'll own my age in bicycles.
    Safety Nanny Checklist
    1.Two headlights major brand 100+ Lumens plus helmet light2.Two tail-lights at minimum but really you need more3.Mirrors on helmet, handlebar and back of glove.4. Reflective vest and tape on every surface5.Disc and caliper brakes just in case6.Horn, bell and train whistle7.Chicken Little’s Phone# 8.Wear a helmet at all times (you might fall out of bed)Because it's scary out there!

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sympathy? I was trying to make my point by comparing bikes.
    No, you were requesting forbearance due to your perception of owning an inadequate bike--something along the lines of my bike makes it too hard . By offering this excuse, you're asking us to say, Oh, poor thing, suffering with an inadequate bike, and to act upon our sympathy and grant your excuse, Oh sure. Ride around the block once or twice and we'll pretend you did it four times. Or seven. Whatever..

Sorry. That defeats the purpose of the measuring in miles. It's a measurement that exists outside of equipment purchases. It therefore provides equal measurement for all. (Please remember that for some of us, a bicycle is a device used for transportation. The definitive measurement between two places is distance. No matter which of my bikes I ride, it's still the same distance to work and back.)

I don't buy your "bike comparison excuse" because I've exceeded by fully 50% the challenge of riding my age in miles on the same bike as yours.

You can too.

It takes perseverance and hard work, just like any other goal you may aspire to.

Shortcuts, or moving the goalposts will not provide you with the same personal satisfaction and sense of achievement as doing it for real.

Now if you want to use a completely different measurement system, riding 10,000 heartbeats or something, that's fine. Just don't come around saying your bike makes it worth 20,000.

As someone famous once said, "It's not about the bike."
    Last edited by tsl; 09-08-07 at 09:38 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Then.........Tom spends a great many hours sampling bikes.......................................
    I'm cutting back on that now. Have only test-ridden two bikes in the past two months. No present plans to ride anything. I've satisfied my curiosity and now have pretty much all of the information I need. If something interesting presents itself, like the chance to ride a Gunnar a few weeks ago, then I'll take it.

I did put 200+ miles in on test rides over the past year. Had a lot of fun.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't buy your "bike comparison excuse" because I've exceeded by fully 50% the challenge of riding my age in miles on the same bike as yours.

You can too.

It takes perseverance and hard work, just like any other goal you may aspire to.

Shortcuts, or moving the goalposts will not provide you with the same personal satisfaction and sense of achievement as doing it for real.
    If it's all about distance - you are correct.

We have picked miles it seems (although our EU bretheran would suggest Km is acceptable).
    If the OP chooses - for example - chinese miles they may be on target (2.88 chinese miles to the us survey mile). I actually think our UK friends should choose the Irish or Scottish mile (Irish - 0.78Irish miles/Survey Mile, 0.887 Scottish miles/Survey Mile)

What really boggles my mind is why this group has not standardized on the Texas Pie as the unit of measure - there are 5703 Texas Pies/Survey mile.

BTW yesterday I rode my age in Kilo Bamboo
    And that was according to my GPS - although it does not take advatage of the GPS correctional signal so I might be off a bamboo or two.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bailey's trike with him in it weighs just over 100 lbs and has the resistance of another wheel. Can I ride 25 miles and say it was 100?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tsl, I know this. I rode the same, exact ride on my Pilot after doing it on my 7500. Av speed was way up, time way down and I felt much less fatigued. Something was different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast