Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Night of the Proms.

Last couple of hours and I have been watching the "Last Night of the Proms". Well known in the UK and to a slightly lesser extent in Europe.

It is a concert Of Great British Classical music and the format follows vitually the same year after year after year ad infinitum. It is still fantastic and I am not a Classical Music Lover. I enjoy it but all the Music in the last night concert is well known by everyone in The UK.

Apparantly it was on the Internet but I did not realise that until the end So I could not tell any of the Classical buffs it was on.

It got me thinking about The riding that I do. I like to vary it a bit but I have a few Classic routes that I enjoy going on. I will never get bored with going Down to Eastbourne and although the Hill may vary- I always try to get the sweat rolling by taking in one of the steep hills in the area- I always get a cup of coffee and will lengthen a ride to get out to a decent Cafe to get a Good cup. I also like to get in a bit of time away from the traffic so always find that quiet stretch of backroad in which I can hammer on for a few miles- or just take it steady to recover from that last hill.

Only thing is-I do not want to listen to the same music everything time out- and I do not want to keep riding the same routes all the time. So out came the map tonight and I have sussed out a couple of routes that look interesting. Only problem is that I wonder how steep those hills are going to be when I get to them. They look pretty flat on the map.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6984989.stm

Edit-And Talking about England- The soccer team won its World Cup qualifier against Israel thes evening and The England Rugby team beat some other country in the first round of the Rugby world cup in Paris. News to cheer some is that France- One of the best 6 teams in the world- Were beaten by Argentina in the opening game 17-12.
    Last edited by stapfam; 09-08-07 at 04:00 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stap, I have a CD from a previous Last Night of the Proms, and I actually listen to it and enjoy it.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a quaint English tradition I've always wanted to attend, but cycling activities or events always got in the way. Don't they do this in London at the ROH Covent Garden? I understand they take out all the seats and people congregate on the floor. There is a teddy bear decorating competition, and the final event of the evening is always a rousing chorus of Rule Britannia! sung by a well-known tenor and accompanied by everyone in the hall.

They do this annually in Vancouver, at the Orpheum Theatre. I recall that one year Bryn Terfel, the Welsh tenor, did the honors in Rule Britannia. Wished I could have gone. I love listening to great voices. I was quite saddened by the news of Pavarotti's death. A great, ringing tenor voice, and excellent at conveying the Italian repertoire.

- L.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is held in the Albert Hall and the Centre of the Hall is cleared of all seating. Rule Britania used to be sung by a Soprano (Wait for the comments but NOT Those sopranos) but for the last few years No Solo Singer for this. Due to the popularity of the event- For the last 10 years there have been Various outdoor events at the same time. HYde park in London and one each in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

As a Show of Patriotic Fervour- There is none better over here and I went out into the Garden whilst it was on and There was no need to stay in the House- You could hear the music from my neighbours. Just a pity they were trying to sing along at the same time.

And England beat India at Cricket to win the 7 match series.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan