Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sometimes it just pays to laugh....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-08-07, 04:26 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

The best part of today's organized ride was the freshly grilled hamburgers and homemade pasta salad at the finish!!

I did a metric century that had a pretty good turnout. We probably had 40+ in the front group and everyone was very well behaved and while it was fast, noone was really pushing the pace too hard. I was really looking forward to staying in the group, having a lot of help for the day and getting a good workout.

Things changed just 21 miles into the ride. I dropped a chain at the base of short hill and couldn't get it back on without stopping. I fumbled with it while I was stopped and completely lost the group. Phooey!! A little later the chain on the rear cassette started skipping every time I tried to ride hard up a hill-so I really had to nurse it up a hill.

It was so aggravating I stopped again at 40 miles as our local LBS was running his truck on the route and got him to take a look at it. He found the thumbwheel/cable housing had come completely out of the rear derailluer and got me going again.

Just a few miles later I dropped the chain again at the base of a hill and had to pull over and get it back on........again.

It was about the 4th time folks I'd passed repassed me.........Some of my buddies suggested I just needed to get a real bike as we were passing each other.......a lot of help they were!!

I was still able to ride pretty hard and averaged over 20 mph for the 62 miles-but it was really frustrating and downright comical passing people, them passing me while I was stopped a little later and then repassing them.

When I got home I put the bike on the stand and fixed the front derailluer so I shouldn't be having any chain drop issues for a while. I improved the skipping a little but it is still there. I'll take off the cassette and look it over to see if the cogs look okay. Not sure what else it could be unless the cassette just needs replacing due to wear. It didn't look like any links were sticking but that could also be an issue.

Days like today really make you appreciate a well tuned bike!!
Old 09-09-07, 12:26 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Difficult to diagnose without seeing, but I dare say some will. Two obvious and one is derailler setting and the other is wear. Several years ago I stripped the Tandem- This thing eats parts for breakfast and you still have the rest of the day to break things on. I checked it over and things looked fine. Onltychanged the granny ring and put on a new chain but in the following rides had to change Both other rings due to wear- The rear cassette and the chain again.

Once you think you have found the problem and corrected it- Get out on a Hard Ride to check it out before another serious ride comes along. And hope it Gets cured quick aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-09-07, 06:16 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I had another 10sp cassette that is pretty new so I tried it just for kicks. It did the same thing so I've ruled out the cassette. Now I'm thinking it's a chain link. I've adjusted the derailleur to where I don't think it's that.......unless the derailleur is bent. I really think it's a link in the chain. Will continue to work on it.
Old 09-09-07, 07:44 AM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I had another 10sp cassette that is pretty new so I tried it just for kicks. It did the same thing so I've ruled out the cassette. Now I'm thinking it's a chain link. I've adjusted the derailleur to where I don't think it's that.......unless the derailleur is bent. I really think it's a link in the chain. Will continue to work on it.
Derailleur hanger could be bent. Regarding the chain coming off the front, a Deda Dog Fang is good insurance against that.