Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Here in NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My second century

    Yesterday dawned dark and dreary w/the weather oracle predicting rain, rain and more rain. But in the human breast, hope springs eternal (thank you Alexander Pope) and off I drove w/my cycling partner to Findlay for the Hancock Horizontal Hundred.

    Despite the fact we had no map and only our wits to guide us (extremely risky behavior) we arrived at the start to mount our trusty steel steeds.

    To inspire us on the dreary way were our bikejournal buddies, Dave and Jane, and Larry. Imagine how difficult it was to refrain from congratulating ourselves on our vigor and determination. More timid souls likely would not be riding in the adverse conditions. But here we were, stalwart, determined, indefatigable, and very, very soggy. Only the most discerning of imbeciles would consider riding a bicycle 100 miles in the pouring rain, commuting 4 hours by car and paying 21 dollars for the privilege.

    Despite the conditions, or maybe because of them, I closed the day w/a personal best time for the 100 mile distance. Due in no small part to unambiguous sandbagging by yours truly, coupled w/copious drafting off Dave and Jane on their tandem, I stopped the clock at 5:52 at 100 miles for an average speed of 17mph.

    This is an improvement of over one full hour over my previous century time.

    Whether or not this feat is a testament to my new bike, my strong, capable and longsuffering cycling buddies, my sandbagging and drafting, or a combination thereof, I do not know. I only know, it will be a very, very long time, if ever, before I am able to shave a full hour off my PR for a century ride.

    Colleen
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maupin, OR
    My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take those PR's anyway you can get them, good job!!

  3. #3
    Happy Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Posts
    749
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17mph

    THAT'S GREAT FOR A CENTURY!!!!!!!!!

    I can't remember a faster time being on this forum.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Great job! I doubt I could be as dedicated, about anything.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Kurt Erlenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Space Coast, Florida
    Posts
    2,423
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colleen-

    I just noticed you're in Lagrange - I grew up in New London, even closer to nowhere than Lagrange. Lots of rain in Findley, heh? Seems that's been the story of this summer. Tremendous time, nonetheless. You shouldbe proud.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NW AR & Central LA
    Posts
    2,617
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fortunate to average 17 mph on my 20-mile after work rides.

    That's totally outstanding!!!!

    Congratulations!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Terrierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SWMO
    Posts
    3,138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh it's a testament to Serotta Bikes and the miracles that come to those who ride them...

    Either that or WOW momof4greatkids, you make me jealous as hell of your riding ability....

    Congratulations! That is an impressive number. VERY impressive.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

  8. #8
    My other car is a bike TruF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Posts
    1,304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Mom!! What an accomplishment.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Here in NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Ahhhh it's a testament to Serotta Bikes and the miracles that come to those who ride them...

    Either that or WOW momof4greatkids, you make me jealous as hell of your riding ability....

    Congratulations! That is an impressive number. VERY impressive.
    thank you thank you thank you! What a nice compliment.

    I love my new bike....it really shines on the longer distances, and what a difference the fitting makes.

    When I rode my last century on my hybrid I felt *horrible* for the last 40 miles....my upper body just ached and it was tough to hold my tongue and not whine. I just kept my head down and my eye on the wheel ahead and toughed it out.

    But this time, I felt really good, just the expected discomfort, some numbness in the butt, etc. I actually felt pretty good finishing and was even able to take my turn at the some pulls on the front into the headwind for the last 20 miles.

    Yes, conserving energy by drafting off my friends on the tandem helped a lot too
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    S.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I think it is the second century that is the hardest. After the first, you know what you're in for on the second. Congrats on a great ride.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Congratulations! A great ride.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  12. #12
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go. You're a seasoned vet now!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  13. #13
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Posts
    5,260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulation, mom, the TDF will be coming up, keep training, you'll do good.
    George

  14. #14
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    Despite the conditions, or maybe because of them, I closed the day w/a personal best time for the 100 mile distance. Due in no small part to unambiguous sandbagging by yours truly, coupled w/copious drafting off Dave and Jane on their tandem, I stopped the clock at 5:52 at 100 miles for an average speed of 17mph.
    It was nice to meet you on the ride. Well it was at first, as you passed me...once I spotted that tandem I was just jealous - I wanted a tandem to wheelsuck, dambit! The wind over the final 25 just plain sucked, and even though Cheri took a turn up front to give me a break now and then, she's too small to break much wind.

    Great job on your personal best...hope to see you out there next year....with better weather!
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  15. #15
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    Yesterday dawned dark and dreary w/the weather oracle predicting rain, rain and more rain. But in the human breast, hope springs eternal (thank you Alexander Pope) and off I drove w/my cycling partner to Findlay for the Hancock Horizontal Hundred.

    Despite the fact we had no map and only our wits to guide us (extremely risky behavior) we arrived at the start to mount our trusty steel steeds.

    To inspire us on the dreary way were our bikejournal buddies, Dave and Jane, and Larry. Imagine how difficult it was to refrain from congratulating ourselves on our vigor and determination. More timid souls likely would not be riding in the adverse conditions. But here we were, stalwart, determined, indefatigable, and very, very soggy. Only the most discerning of imbeciles would consider riding a bicycle 100 miles in the pouring rain, commuting 4 hours by car and paying 21 dollars for the privilege.

    Despite the conditions, or maybe because of them, I closed the day w/a personal best time for the 100 mile distance. Due in no small part to unambiguous sandbagging by yours truly, coupled w/copious drafting off Dave and Jane on their tandem, I stopped the clock at 5:52 at 100 miles for an average speed of 17mph.

    This is an improvement of over one full hour over my previous century time.

    Whether or not this feat is a testament to my new bike, my strong, capable and longsuffering cycling buddies, my sandbagging and drafting, or a combination thereof, I do not know. I only know, it will be a very, very long time, if ever, before I am able to shave a full hour off my PR for a century ride.

    Colleen
    Wonderful, Colleen. You must have had a "watchful sprite", to continue the Pope references, over you during the ride. Well done!

  16. #16
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,279
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Here in NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    It was nice to meet you on the ride. Well it was at first, as you passed me...once I spotted that tandem I was just jealous - I wanted a tandem to wheelsuck, dambit! The wind over the final 25 just plain sucked, and even though Cheri took a turn up front to give me a break now and then, she's too small to break much wind.

    Great job on your personal best...hope to see you out there next year....with better weather!
    Chip, you must have a small fortune there in your bike stable in the Brooks saddles alone! Gotta love those Brooks saddles. I'm gonna get me one as soon as my pocketbook recovers from my recent bike purchase.

    I had the best riding partners a person could want on Sunday. I wish you had tagged onto our little train! That headwind at the end was tough.

    Yet, we live to ride another day!
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

  18. #18
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    Chip, you must have a small fortune there in your bike stable in the Brooks saddles alone! Gotta love those Brooks saddles. I'm gonna get me one as soon as my pocketbook recovers from my recent bike purchase.

    I had the best riding partners a person could want on Sunday. I wish you had tagged onto our little train! That headwind at the end was tough.

    Yet, we live to ride another day!
    Well I kinda wanted to latch on...but after doing all the pulling for 80-some miles - the last 12 in that darned wind, I didn't have the juice and went OTB quick. You crushed the souls of a lot of them other folks who did manage to catch on - Cheri and I passed them again up the road.

    You might look at a Terry Butterfly saddle like Cheri has...she loves it better than her old Brooks.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  19. #19
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    Well I kinda wanted to latch on...but after doing all the pulling for 80-some miles - the last 12 in that darned wind, I didn't have the juice and went OTB quick. You crushed the souls of a lot of them other folks who did manage to catch on - Cheri and I passed them again up the road.

    You might look at a Terry Butterfly saddle like Cheri has...she loves it better than her old Brooks.
    Chip- As a Tandem rider- I can tell you that they are great soul crushers. Just feel glad that you didn't break the tow on Mom as I think you would have heard a few choice words.

    Mom-

    I am hoping that was a flat ride with a lot of downhill as That speed on that distance is faster than my average on 20 mile rides- just Like doctorj.

    Pie ride on Saturday so what have you got planned to better that ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  20. #20
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Colleen!

    Drafting notwithstanding, as far as I'm concerned you completed a triple century (100 miles + pouring rain + stalwart determination to do something that most people wouldn't even consider).
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  21. #21
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Chip- As a Tandem rider- I can tell you that they are great soul crushers. Just feel glad that you didn't break the tow on Mom as I think you would have heard a few choice words.
    When she passed us, Mom and a few others were towing the tandem!
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  22. #22
    King of the molehills bcoppola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Detroit 'burbs, east side.
    My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Posts
    1,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oy...17mph average in the rain! I had planned on a second century at the Peach of a Ride Sunday past but the rain kept me in. Yes, I am a wimp, a fair-weather cyclist. And now you've rubbed it in!

    Wheelsucking a tandem is always a good idea if you can keep up!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Here in NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Posts
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Congratulations Colleen!

    Drafting notwithstanding, as far as I'm concerned you completed a triple century (100 miles + pouring rain + stalwart determination to do something that most people wouldn't even consider).

    so, Jen, that really counts like 300 miles for me, right?!?!

    (disclaimer for the ironically impaired: the above post is a meant in jest)
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

  24. #24
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids View Post
    so, Jen, that really counts like 300 miles for me, right?!?!

    (disclaimer for the ironically impaired: the above post is a meant in jest)


    At least 300 !!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  25. #25
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    9,968
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's hope the tandem had a rear fender . . . otherwise you'd be getting a faceful of roadspray!
    Have ridden HHH twice (years ago: 1975 and 1995) and also the Slow Spokes of Macomb Peach of a Ride in the Romeo area.
    Bering tandem riders, we don't mind a few wheelsuckers now and then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •