Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Called a Silly Old Coot here on BF (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/342402-called-silly-old-coot-here-bf.html)

Fibber 09-10-07 06:48 PM

Called a Silly Old Coot here on BF

A funny thing happened this past weekend on the way to the forum (old joke - showing my age). I tried to help someone in the General Cycling page confused by bike gearing and & the amount of gear overlap. I offered a fairly detailed explaination, sighting numeric values of an example gearset. For my trouble, I got called "a silly old coot" by some snotnosed kid because he didn't like the gearset I chose for the example. That was after his insults towards those that might be interested in riding a 10 speed bike.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=340793

Well, at first I was insulted, but then had a good laugh. Yep, I'm over fifty with grey beard and thinning hair, but I'm in pretty good shape, active, and consider myself still young. This was the first time in my life that I have been actually called out as OLD (other than by my kids....). So now it is official - I'm OLD and proud of it.

Guys like that should come over to the Fifty Plus and the Classic & Vintage page to really meet knowledgeable old geeks, some of whom actually like old iron! Followed, perhaps, by a good butt kicking. Gotta teach these kids some respect!

momof4greatkids 09-10-07 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fibber (Post 5245252)
A For my trouble, I got called "a silly old coot" by some snotnosed kid because he didn't like the gearset I chose for the example. That was after his insults towards those that might be interested in riding a 10 speed bike.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=340793

Well, at first I was insulted, but then had a good laugh. Yep, I'm over fifty with grey beard and thinning hair, but I'm in pretty good shape, active, and consider myself still young. This was the first time in my life that I have been actually called out as OLD (other than by my kids....). So now it is official - I'm OLD and proud of it.

!

hahah.....as my mom always used to say, getting old is better than the alternative. None of us are getting any younger

I knew I'd reached a milestone in adulthood when I first uttered the words, "kids today......"

Terrierman 09-10-07 06:53 PM

Want me to take an extra dose of centrum silver, my glucosamine and chondroitin, blood pressure meds, and a couple of ibuprofen and come on over there and help you kick somebody's ass?

skinny 09-10-07 06:56 PM

I just can't stand those snot nose kids.;) What is a coot anyway?

robtown 09-10-07 07:43 PM

My MTB has a 7 cog cassette and the 700c wheelset I took off a Marin Hybrid has a 7 cog cassette (very nice too). Does that make me a "coot"? Not to mention the 7 speed shimano freewheel I have in reserve for the Dawes (very smooth).

Fibber 09-10-07 08:14 PM

Wikipedia: Coot - Main definition is a species of medium sized water bird.

Secondary definitions include a particular class of 4WD all terrain vehicles, or a derogatory term for an old man. I don't think he was calling me a bird or an ATV, so it must be the old man thing. Imagine that!

dbg 09-10-07 08:21 PM

So are you saying you're not a coot?

dbg 09-10-07 08:43 PM

So I dug into that guy's other posts, .. what a total a**hole. You should see some of the other things he says to people. Mostly content free insult posts. I feel sorry for his family.

mud 09-10-07 09:30 PM

I think I'll have some prunes and go to bed.
Mud

Old School 09-10-07 09:37 PM

At least at our age we have the self-control to not respond to an airhead's insulting post. But if you do need a few snappy comebacks, try these...

"I know you are but what am I?":rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me!":p
"I'm rubber and you're glue. Everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you!" :D

FlyingAnchor 09-10-07 10:36 PM

Do we need a fifty plus posse to show up and take this whipper-snapper down? :) I remember the first time I was called an "old geezer" by a smart mouthed ten year old.

Steven

Red Rider 09-10-07 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Terrierman (Post 5245294)
Want me to take an extra dose of centrum silver, my glucosamine and chondroitin, blood pressure meds, and a couple of ibuprofen and come on over there and help you kick somebody's ass?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That would be funnier if it weren't so true. :(

stonecrd 09-11-07 05:32 AM

Well, Fibber IMO he did just make a simple comment about mtb gearing and you criticized him for his post. So he replied with a flaming post. Why did your criticize his comment, why not just point out that many mtb do have 7 spd or that this was not really the point of your post. Most of the time Newton applies in verbal communication, for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

ang1sgt 09-11-07 05:44 AM

You could always use the phrase " I've got Bicycles older than you!" That might work! I know I have a few old ones around!

There are some areas in these forums that I've found out that I just stay out of.

Chris

DnvrFox 09-11-07 06:04 AM

"You are a silly old coot"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

He could respond

"You are"

You could say

"Am not"

That would resolve the issue!:D

BSLeVan 09-11-07 06:08 AM

My paternal grandfather gave me the best response I've ever heard to being called "an old fool". He was called this by a grocery store clerk when I was about 12 years old. He responded by saying: "I'm sorry, but I believe you're mistaken. Fools don't live to be my age, but I guess you'll never know that first hand."

momof4greatkids 09-11-07 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 5247706)
My paternal grandfather gave me the best response I've ever heard to being called "an old fool". He was called this by a grocery store clerk when I was about 12 years old. He responded by saying: "I'm sorry, but I believe you're mistaken. Fools don't live to be my age, but I guess you'll never know that first hand."

Burn! Great comeback, gonna file that. Trouble is, I won't be able to find it when i need it :D

wobblyoldgeezer 09-11-07 06:51 AM

I tried to help someone in the General Cycling page confused by bike gearing and & the amount of gear overlap. I offered a fairly detailed explaination, sighting numeric values of an example gearset. For my trouble, I got called "a silly old coot" [/QUOTE]

Yup - no good deed ever goes unpunished! Glad you can smile about it!

Fibber 09-11-07 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by stonecrd (Post 5247603)
Well, Fibber IMO he did just make a simple comment about mtb gearing and you criticized him for his post. So he replied with a flaming post. Why did your criticize his comment, why not just point out that many mtb do have 7 spd or that this was not really the point of your post. Most of the time Newton applies in verbal communication, for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I cannot argue with you on that. All you say is true. It was not the first time that I had seen him stab someone for a legitimate post or question. Note his comment to the thread starter. But it was the first time he took a shot at me, and I (in a moment of weakness) stooped low enough to shoot back. My bad.... I tried to do along the lines of what you suggest on the second round, but I don't think he was much interested in a discussion. Note that I chose to cut it off rather than fuel the fire.

People like this contribute little to nothing. They come here to get their rocks off torturing others. It is kind of sad, really.

freeranger 09-11-07 08:41 AM

I'll venture over into the bicycle mechanics area or road cycling on occasion, and it never seems to amaze me at some of the very basic mechanical questions which are asked. Sometimes I wonder if they are asked just so someone has something to post. Not mocking those who don't have the experience with the workings of derailleurs, greasing hubs, etc, but seems the 50+ forum is much more civil and helpful with questions than other forums. So if we're "old coots", then I'm glad to be part of the club! I'm sure your willingness to help would have been met with appreciation here.

pdq 5oh 09-11-07 09:22 AM

He is a complete ass. There's never anything of substance to go along with his comments. I called him on it a while back. His reaction was the same. He apparently spends all his time with a thesaurus and dictionary. :rolleyes:

stonecrd 09-11-07 09:46 AM

There is plenty of this on BF. The P&R forum lately is just a wasteland of name calling. There seems to be a lot of people who just want to push their personal agenda or troll rather than have a discussions. It turns me off, I use to find P&R somewhat interesting in an amusing way, now I don't go there much. It is the nature of the interweb I am afraid.

The BM forum like here is generally pretty devoid of this and helpful, so I hope it is not degrading.

howsteepisit 09-11-07 10:17 AM

Geeze, what does that make me, with my steel fame, brooks saddle, downtube shifters, 9 speed mountain bike gearing? As my dad used to say, make me comfortable. But, In some eyes I guess I am a silly old coot!

edit I forgot to add I also have a large Caradice saddle bag in which I carry all kinds of stuff on my longer rides, like tubes, patches, a pump, water and a few sadwhiches. Racer chic is lost on me

stapfam 09-11-07 12:50 PM

Met one like that on a ride earlier in the Summer- Offroad and I shouldn't be out ruining all the other riders Rides by going slow up the hills. We met the group he was with later on in the day down at the cafe- and apparantly they were planning a long offroad ride in the summer and were just out Trying out the last leg of the ride. Now there can only be one long ride in this area-The South Downs Way. They were planning to do it over 3 days as they had a couple of Older riders with them.

I did not say a word- but just pulled out my Water bottle that I had that day- A momento of my 97 ride and all it says on it is SDW- 100 miles- 10,000ft of climbing-In one day. They went quiet then- Their older riders were in their 30's. I did apoligise as I have only done it 3 times since then- But I did cheat and did it on the tandem in 03,04and failed at 65 miles in 06

In cycling only one thing matters- and that is the riding- Not the mouth saying what it can do.

bcoppola 09-11-07 12:54 PM

It's citing, not "sighting". You silly old coot. :)

Flames aside it looks like a pretty good thread on gearing - have to read it more closely.