I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain Scrubbers

Do these things work well? Anyone using this or something similar care to share your opinion?

Chain Scrubbers
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Do these things work well? Anyone using this or something similar care to share your opinion?

Chain Scrubbers
    That's the one I have and I love it. It does a good job of cleaning the chain and cuts down on the mess of just using a brush. Those brushes can really splatter on you if you're not paying attention
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain Scrubbers
    I used one of those puppies for several years. Then, I found an easier way. Now, I just use a rag and ProLink lube. The first wipedown cleans - the second lubes. Gotta silver chain again. I'll never go back.

... Brad

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have better chain scrubbers in Virginia.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most chain cleaners work- and The main thing is that they are messy to use. All that Dirty Black solvent Going on the carpet does not please the housemaid so be carefull using one.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do a great job of getting black runny mess all over your tires.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bac View Post
    I used one of those puppies for several years. Then, I found an easier way. Now, I just use a rag and ProLink lube. The first wipedown cleans - the second lubes. Gotta silver chain again. I'll never go back.

... Brad
    +1 had the same experience. Chain is silver once again, and very easy to clean without all the fuss of a dedicated scrubber and cleaning solution.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one like that - piece of junk. Used it 3 times, maybe. Waste of money and plastic.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - chain scrubbers are awkward and inconvenient to use...

- i have to echo other posters:

ProLink + rag = FTW!

(for the price of a single chainscrubber you'll have enough ProLink for a couple years)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
    - chain scrubbers are awkward and inconvenient to use...

- i have to echo other posters:

ProLink + rag = FTW!

(for the price of a single chainscrubber you'll have enough ProLink for a couple years)
    Not trying to run you down but the important bit of a chain is the bit you cannot see. The place where all the grit and Grinding paste collects- Inside the chain. A chain cleaner will get most of the gunge out.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrelman View Post
    I had one like that - piece of junk. Used it 3 times, maybe. Waste of money and plastic.
    I've tried several and would agree in general, but the one Park makes is really better than the others.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same chain cleaner and have used it for years. I have a rag/old towel to collect the slop that leaks from the chain. I have never used prolink, so I can't comment on that, but my chain always comes out clean.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we need a poll? About half of the respondents like the chain scrubbers, and the other half seems to prefer a rag and ProLube. Come to think of it, perhaps we don't need a poll after all!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one I bought last year http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%3A%20Cleaners

It works great - I even use it with the bike upside down, took a little practice but I can do it easily now. I just add some biodegradable degreaser and spin it, no spray because there is a sponge that catches it. The chain is like new after a whip down with a rag. I do it about every 500 miles (about every third week). The drive chain runs so smooth and the shifting stays buttery smooth. It won't work very well if you use a wax based lubricant though - too gooey.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one. It works great. I can clean the chains on mine, my wife's and our son's bikes with one filling. We ride a lot on a crushed lime stone trail, and our chains are like new after lots of miles.

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on your beliefs. You can spend hours, if not days, just reading BF posts on the subject, but as usual, the topic is covered pretty thoroughly here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

By the way, I have an older version of the Park chain gang which I have not yet used on my road bike. The chain stays clean with just the regular lubrication. If I rode anything other than asphalt, that might not be the case.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the one I use on all my chains and I do have a few to deal with. I use simple green or orange oil, biodegradable solvent. Works great for a deep clean of all the really dirty hard to get to spots.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suspect that the no chain scrubber crowd is predominately running on asphault. On the dry summer trails around here the chain will be covered with corrosive fine grinding compound after just a few rides. I use the Park chain cleaner as do some above. As we move over to 10 speed chains (which according to the manufacturers should not be removed from the bike as often) on bike cleaning will become more important.

The rag rubdown cleans the chain to a nice shine but unfortunately, the outside of the chain (although pretty) is not the part that is being chewed up by the grit.

For general use, by a small cheap rug about 4 X 2 to put under the bike during general cleaning and oiling to catch the stuff that drips off before it gets to your carpet or floor.

If you wet wash the chain (especially if you use one of the wax lubes) then wait several hours or overnight before reoiling to let the water dry before being trapped inside the lube.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Connex quick link so the chain is easy to remove. You just pivot it 90 degrees and slide it apart. I'm using the 6.05mm one with a Campagnolo ultra narrow 10 speed chain.

Then shake it in plastic half gallon milk bottle with some citrus cleaner. Rinse it a few times and let it dry. A hair dryer heats it up quickly if you are in a hurry.

In between, I wipe off the chain and use prolink.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I suspect that the no chain scrubber crowd is predominately running on asphault.
    You would be mistaken.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Crossroads, 1985 Raleigh Sportif
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Park unit and it really does a good job for me.
    epcolt
    WV Trailrider
    07 Specialized Crossroads Sport
    90's Specialized Allez
    85 Raleigh Sportif Touring

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    Then shake it in plastic half gallon milk bottle with some citrus cleaner. Rinse it a few times and let it dry. A hair dryer heats it up quickly if you are in a hurry.
    I like this method also, but my understanding is the chain manufacturers do not recommend immersion as it washes all that nice sticky lube from inside the chain connections where it is difficult to replace.

Comments ???

I also have a Parks scrubber which I sometime use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the time and desire, remove the chain, soak it in solvent for a few hours, scrub it briefly with an old toothbrush, lube and install. Your chain will be thoroughly clean.

(Single guys can also put the chain in the dishwasher on "pot-cycle" and see how it turns out. Married men may want to critically examine this idea however.)
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Park cleaner and it works well with EcoTech2 degreaser or Simple Green. However, I seem to remember reading somewhere that chain cleaners will not work in California or Missouri.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    I like this method also, but my understanding is the chain manufacturers do not recommend immersion as it washes all that nice sticky lube from inside the chain connections where it is difficult to replace.

Comments ???

I also have a Parks scrubber which I sometime use.
    I've heard that, too. But: the cleaner can get in those tiny gaps with enough volume to wash out the lube. But then the thin prolink lube can't get back in somehow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast