Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Digital Gee be required to ride a century?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- after 5000 miles his butt deserves it

32 66.67%
  • No - He's still far to wimpy

16 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll Should DIgital Gee Ride a Century

In light of the recent revelation the Digital Gee has now surpassed 5000 miles, should he be required to complete a true century ride?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already ridden fifty centuries!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have 5000 miles in, you ought to have a sufficient base to work up to a century. You should work up to a 70-80 mile ride a week or two before the event, and take it easy the week of the event. Take a break every 25-30 miles. Keep fed and hydrated, and a century isn't too bad.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    I've already ridden fifty centuries!
    Pipe down, DG! We're discussing important plans for your development, and we don't need any advice from you. Go over there and sit quietly. There's a good fellow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he does, he should run it by his doctor first. bk

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I cant in good faith vote to require anyone to do anything. That comes too close to politics for our new mild mannered moderatorless forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only if he wants to.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm voting no, because I would hate to see the universe ripped apart.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should do it now, before the white paint on his bike fades and becomes useless as a placeb... er, I mean speed enhancer.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeeGee, I think you should get a remote-controlled model sailboat, buy a sea captain's hat, and spend your time plying the high seas of your local goldfish pond. In the meantime, send me your bike. It'll free up some room in your house.

PS. Any time you need any other good advice, don't hesitate to holler.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say no, I'm part of the anti-century club, but I don't think he is too wimpy so I did not vote
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think DG should plan a century ride and invite the 50+ crowd. January would be a great time to leave Ohio
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the thing about centuries - there really is no magic to them. If someone puts in the base miles, they can do a century. period.

So D-Gee you know you can do it if you want so why bother?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so the group will have more information to work with:

I've done several (not many, but several) metrics and 50+ rides. I can make this distance and it does wipe me out. I do recall when reaching about 50 miles that the thought of ANOTHER fifty miles is overwhelming. After a metric, it's hard enough to imagine going 70. But I think my next long ride will aim for 80, be happy if I pass 70, and be satisfied if I come away with nothing more than a metric.

Or maybe I just need a new bike?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he should ride 99 miles and then stop. Just to prove that he could do it if he wanted, but it really isn't that important to him.

I once did the equivalent in a high school typing class. I didn't get along with the teacher for various reasons, most notably that I didn't put much of a priority on the class but was forced to take it. If you typed so many words per minute and were under a certain number of typos, then you qualified to get a lapel pin. But to get it you had to raise your hands right after the 5 minute typing exercises, so that she could verify your achievement. I barely missed it a few times, and then one day I easily exceeded it. But I didn't raise my hand, I simply turned it in with everyone else.

She came up to me the next day, with this look of concern on her face, and said, 'I checked your paper last night and you qualified for your typing pin. But you didn't raise your hand yesterday for me to check it. Didn't you know you had to tell me then?' Yes, I knew. 'But now you won't get your pin!' That's okay because I don't want one. She stood there for a second, not knowing how to react, while my buddies sitting next to me were biting their lips and dying from not laughing.

I qualified two more times before the class ended, but just turned in my paper. She never said another word about it.

I doubt I ever, ever get that close to riding a century. But I would love to ride 99 and stop, even if it meant walking my bike that last mile to my car. Well maybe I would ride 9/10ths of that mile. No reason to have to walk so far.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now DG. Before you decide-Yay or Nay- Just think of the weight loss that can be gained from a decent length of ride. 100 miles will not wear out anything vital But I reckon you could lose 1/4 oz off the chain and probably 1/2oz of off the tyres. That weight loss combined with the loosening up of the bearings should spur you on to go where a DG has never gone before.

If you do decide yes- it is far better if you can do it on an organised ride. Even better if you can do it with a riding partner. I have a century planned for October so Get the airfair and bring Ruby over and you can stay in the Bike shed for as long as you like. Oh And bring your long johns with you as it might be below 60 in the daytime.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most remarkable, its an even vote. Would it help if I posited that DG would suffer greatly on his century attempt? OR more likely, he would finish the 100 hungry for more? HE has the bike, he has the experience...IS there anybody down there who could take him out for the ride?

"Toes"

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the whole question is: Does he want to? If so, he should. If he is not doing it due to fear, then we make him. But if he doesn't want to, then no.

Too sensible by far, right?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I think he should ride 99 miles and then stop. Just to prove that he could do it if he wanted, but it really isn't that important to him.

I once did the equivalent in a high school typing class. I didn't get along with the teacher for various reasons, most notably that I didn't put much of a priority on the class but was forced to take it. If you typed so many words per minute and were under a certain number of typos, then you qualified to get a lapel pin. But to get it you had to raise your hands right after the 5 minute typing exercises, so that she could verify your achievement. I barely missed it a few times, and then one day I easily exceeded it. But I didn't raise my hand, I simply turned it in with everyone else.

She came up to me the next day, with this look of concern on her face, and said, 'I checked your paper last night and you qualified for your typing pin. But you didn't raise your hand yesterday for me to check it. Didn't you know you had to tell me then?' Yes, I knew. 'But now you won't get your pin!' That's okay because I don't want one. She stood there for a second, not knowing how to react, while my buddies sitting next to me were biting their lips and dying from not laughing.

I qualified two more times before the class ended, but just turned in my paper. She never said another word about it.

I doubt I ever, ever get that close to riding a century. But I would love to ride 99 and stop, even if it meant walking my bike that last mile to my car. Well maybe I would ride 9/10ths of that mile. No reason to have to walk so far.
    Ah, nothing like a little street theater to get a point across.

Tom, you are a man after my own heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I think DG should plan a century ride and invite the 50+ crowd. January would be a great time to leave Ohio
    Save me a seat on the bus...in the rear, by the coolers.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think DG should ride a century leading his posse on his white bike.

I'm riding the Seagull century Columbus day weekend and could referee. We could wear the 50+ jerseys - remember them?
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I think the whole question is: Does he want to? If so, he should. If he is not doing it due to fear, then we make him. But if he doesn't want to, then no.

Yes too sensible. This thread was not started with the consent of DG. We will force him to our greater wisdom and will. Back in the day, (and that day was the early-mid 70's) we used to say that "brev camp" stamped on our racer components meant get tough or die. Well, it time for DG to BREV CAMP

"Toes"

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post

Since when does this forum do sensible???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the double century option?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also voted no, but don't think he's too wimpy. I believe that first century should be an enjoyable ride. As he indicated, his endurance level is not there yet. Just to push on in butt pain and with noodle legs is no fun. Now if you want to put up some prize money to make the ride worth while, I'm good for a buck.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast