Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Missing Link!!!! Must read for do it yourselfers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 03:22 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I put a new 10 sp DuraAce chain on my Madone last week and knew I didn't to a great job with inserting the chain pin. My experience is that I only average doing those right about 50% of the time. It's the one thing that should be simple but apparently I never, ever hold my tongue right when doing it.

My problems with the drive train in a metric this past weekend was chonicled in an earlier post. After continuing to investigate the issue I found the connecting pin I installed would slightly ease out of the link-but the links would still stay together but I'd get a "slipping" feel and noise.

I went back to the LBS today to pick up a couple more pins as I was going to use some extra 10sp links to replace the last link I'd botched and install new pins. My LBS showed me the "KMC Missing Link" and spoke very highly of it. They support some top level racing teams and have used it quite a bit since it came out and haven't had any issues with it. Even with their experience they've had similar experiences with the chain pins and use the missing link on new installs. The Missing Link can be used on any 10sp chain as well.

Since I've used the SRAM version (which is much more difficult to remove) on my 9 sp chain I was immediately sold and bought one. They're not the cheapest thing but it sure beats throwing away a $45 chain.

He also recommended buying a couple extra and sticking them the bike bag in case you have chain issues during a ride and need a quick fix. Probably a really good thing to have on multi day rides and tours.

Those folks really made my day, but refused when I offered to hug their necks!!!!

Old 09-11-07, 03:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Never had much success with this type of link but that may all be in the mind. I never buy the connecting pins- or If I buy a new chain- I never use the pin supplied. I always reuse the pin from where I cut the chain.

And hate to say it- but the only chain I ever broke- Or both of them as I always buy in pairs- Was a Durace chain. When I broke the first one- I thought it was just where I had rejoined it but On inspection- it was the sideplate and I had 5 more sideplates just about to go. This was on the Tandem but the "Spare" one- I put on the MTB and it broke on a wet snowy ride when it ran dry. Started squeaking up a hill and broke at the top. Durace was just not strong enough for the pressure put on it on the Tandem and MTB. Now I am on the road- It may be better but I think I will go down to Ultegra when I change the chain and suffer the "Extra" weight.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 09-11-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Wippermann connectors for years and never had a problem.
Old 09-11-07, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
I've used SRAM, similarly with no problems. Never a 10 spd. version, though lots of 7, 8 and 9's. All chains have sure gotten pricey though !.

Steve B.
Old 09-11-07, 07:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've been using SRAM chains and links for years. The new MTB I bought last year came with a 9 speed Shimano chain. The first time I removed the chain to clean it, I used a SRAM Powerlink to reattach it. Never a problem. When I replaced the chain I tried a KMC 9 speed chain which came with a "missing link". So far, so good. I have been usung KMC 7 speed chains on all my other bikes for the past year without incident. One of the great bargains in bike parts, imho.

As well as these links work, it amazes me that anyone would go through the hassle of inserting chain pins as Shimano requires.
Old 09-11-07, 07:33 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I have always used SRAM chains and links.

The new 10 speed chains appear to be a problem but I'm not going there for a while.

The Park link removal pliers make the removal a breeze.
Old 09-11-07, 08:23 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the newest SRAMs no longer have the easily removable link, a friend just bought one & it works differently. Weird.

I just bought a couple of SuperLink IIIs so I can take my new DuraAce chain apart as necessary.
Old 09-11-07, 08:51 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I have an XTR on my LX mountain bike and a Dura-Ace on my road bike. I only had trouble once with a pin, and I was stranded in the middle of town at 7AM in the morning. Its amazing how many people you know will honk and wave but fail to stop...as if pushing a bicyle while dressed up like a clown at 7 AM is normal. I still carry extra links and pins in the seat pack. A small prescription bottle is just the thing for those tiny parts. I have now purchased 9 speed SRAM links which will be used the next time I take a chain off. My SRAM links in 7/8 speed have worked perfectly.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 09-11-07 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 08:56 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you have a good chain connection. This is not a place for sloppy work.

I made a sloppy install of a pin and wound up over the handlebars with a mild concussion and no memory of the event. It was like - "How did I come to be lying here in the road and by the way, what month is it?" It all came back pretty quick, but could have easily been worse.
Old 09-11-07, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the SRAM gold link and think it's the tits. Good idea to carry a couple of spares.
Old 09-11-07, 11:53 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I broke a 10 spd Dura Ace chain at the connector. A friend had put it on for me. The LBS said you have to use the Shimano tool (he waved the wood handled version at me) and surmised that my friend had used a Park tool. Too technical for me. I'll probably go back to Ultegra for the next chain.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-12-07, 05:30 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the same when purchasing a new Ultegra 10spd chain. I also used the SRAM on my 9spd. The problem with the 10spd though is most of these quick links are one time use. The KMC may be the only one that you can reuse. The Shimano pins are a hassle you have to set them just right, break off the end. If you mess up you have to remove the entire link since once the pin is pushed through the link cannot be reused. A quick link is much easier and certainly gave me more confidence. For the $3.00 I paid it was worth it.

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-12-07, 04:00 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I'd recommend checking reusable links to make sure they look OK for the first couple rides.
I once had one on a NEW chain that didn't look quite right, but not really wrong "enough" either. (inexperience)
I ended up turning the FDER into a pretzel when the link finally did separate a few months later.