Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Diverticulosos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diverticulosis

A recurring pain on my left side eventually led to a diagnosis of Diverticulosis.

Do any of you have any experience with this disease?
    If so, how did you change your lifestyle?
    Has it affected you ability to ride?

Thanks
    Last edited by Anthony8858; 09-13-07 at 05:40 AM.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago after a colonoscopy/sigmoid colon area.

Only thing that I have done is increase my fiber intake
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mom has similar isses. I think she avoided small seeds and nuts as part of her regimen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was diganosed with it in 1996 and hospitalized in 1999 with a severe infection. Roughage, Metamucil and Citicil are your friends. Avoid hard dieting.

I really haven't had much trouble since 1999.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there and done that. Pain lower left abdomen. Doc thought diverticulosis. Put me on antibiotics. Pain cleared up in a dew days. As noted above, increased intake of fiber. A subsequent colonoscopy showed no permanent diverticula in the colon so no long term worries at this point for me. No impact on riding. If you do have "pouches" formed in your colon, then other precautions may need to be taken from what I understand. Best to consult with your doc.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me tell you that it is something to watch carefully. I had several bouts of diverticulitis that went away after a few painful hours. That was over a couple year period. Then I had my final bout and it just about was my final day on earth. My colon ruptured, I had emergency surgery, had a colostomy, then had another surgery 3 months later to reverse the colostomy. That was 18 months ago. I am doing great now, just need to have a colonoscopy every couple of years. No more diverticuli, no restrictions on eating. Riding more than ever now. Just be very careful, if your colon ruptures you can be dead on a matter of hours.

Gerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can be pretty debilitating. I didn't follow doctor's suggestion of more fiber and had a second attack a few months later. That was six years ago. Since then I really push the fiber and have had no problems, as confirmed by colonoscopy.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 'severe diverticulosis', which blossoms into diverticulitis unexpectedly. I quit on Metamucil and 'fake-Metumucil' and went on the more expensive Citrocel (no gas). Added a 2nd dosage in the evening as well as the one with breakfast I'd done for years. So far so good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had this condition for three years now. My Doctor says " nobody gets off the planet without developing this condition, it's like reading glasses." I found out I had it, because it put me in the hospital for a week with IV antibiotics when one of them ruptured. You know you are having an attack when you feel like you just did 500 sit-ups, but didn't do any. Just stop eating for a day or two and go to clear liquids and Jello. If you spike a Temp, get joint pains, and get chills -- time for the doctors.

FWIW I have noticed I can't have Powerbars for more than a week at a time without the pain coming back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If so, how did you change your lifestyle?"

I still eat whatever the heck I feel like eating.

"Has it affected you ability to ride?"

I still average 120 mi per week. But avoid PowerBars when I do centuries.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read about adding fiber and reducing seeds. Adding kefir to your diet may also help. It's fermented milk that's like an uber yougurt (28 bacteria cultures & 3 yeast versus 2 bacteria cultures). It's an acquired taste but works well as a fruit/protein smoothie. I'll send you some kefir grains if you want to try fermenting some kefir.
    My father had an ulcerated lower intestine and almost bled to death. The surgeons removed most of it. I'm all for whatever can keep me from that fate. He was a meat, potatoes and white bread man.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fiber one cereal is a very good source of fiber. You can eat it with all kinds of food such as soup or any thing that you might want to eat with crackers. If you decide to go with the increased fiber you may want to ease into it because it can cause the system to gas up and liquify so riding away from a bathroom might be risky.

Keep a close eye on your condition it can get bad quickly like others have said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the pain consistantly for at least a month. The doctor says there's no sign of infection.
    Can diverticulosis (not diverticulitis) cause this pain to last this long?

I'm kinda scared right now.
    Last edited by Anthony8858; 09-14-07 at 05:32 AM.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following does not constitute medical advice. Always consult your doctor.

I have a healthy respect for diverticulosis/diverticulitis/painful diverticular disease. A CT scan can underestimate the severity of the disease. If you've not had left-sided pain before and it is now dragging on for a month, perhaps a reassessment is in order.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expected the doc to see diverticulosis in my descending colon since I sometimes have a sharp, left-sided pain there, but I got a clean report. My husband was diagnosed with it several years ago during a sigmoidoscopy and has very view issues now, if any. He eats a high-fiber cereal every morning with flax seed and bran on top of that, and plenty of water. He struggles with IBS but that too is a lot better with some changes in his diet. Fortunately, he's willing to tweak his diet on his own initiative without much nagging from me.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    The following does not constitute medical advice. Always consult your doctor.

I have a healthy respect for diverticulosis/diverticulitis/painful diverticular disease. A CT scan can underestimate the severity of the disease. If you've not had left-sided pain before and it is now dragging on for a month, perhaps a reassessment is in order.
    Yes, the pain has been there for a month. It's not a throb, it just reminds me that it's there if I press on the "spot".
    I had a full abdominal CT scan with contrast dye, and the CT scan showed diverticulosis. I aslo believ that the CT scan is inconclusive, and I did request that my doctor look into more tests. I had a colonoscopy scheduled for yesterday, but my daughter is getting married TOMORROW, and I was worried about possible complications from the test. I chose to wait until after the wedding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Diverticulitis, my doctor just said that fiber is your friend and that if anything causes problems don't eat it again. He also said that some literature says some food products are problems and the next article says just the opposite.

The bottom line is that at out age an ounce of prevention is worth many pounds of cure. I wouldn't let anything medical bother me for a month.

FWIW, my colonoscopies(sp) have had few after effects other than a need to consume some syrup covered pancakes, along with anything else I can get into my mouth, in the first hour after I get home from the procedure.

No offense meant, but putting one off is not the best of ideas.

Here is a thread I started by asking if anybody had ever done one awake. The stories should make you want to reschedule pretty quickly...........

Colonoscopy.........Way OT

There were over one hundred responses and over thirteen hundred views. The point is not that I have anything meaningful to say, but it is important to get this done.

Good luck.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everything here coincides with my understanding.

Since I had my first colonoscopy at 40 (56 now), I've known that I had diverticula (small "pouches" in the large intestine). I've had very little problem with it, and for me, avoiding peanuts has been the strategy that works best. I've had a few minor flareups for which I've taken some antibiotics, but that's it.

The incidence of this for people in the US is about 50% by age 65 (much lower in other countries, so probably diet has a lot to do with it). My doctor's opinion was that if it's not a problem, then it's fine. If you have more than 3 major incidents, a colon resection is a possibility - they basically just remove that portion of the colon. If this is done electively, then I think they can do it in one surgery. However, if you are undergoing emergency surgery becaued of a perforated diverticula, then it's likely you will need a temporary colostomy which is later reversed (as one poster noted).

If you're having recurrent problems, you might ask your doc about that possibility.

Fiber is key. The common prescription is to avoid nuts and seeds, although I've read that this is really not proven -- it's that nuts and seeds collect in diverticula, they don't necessarily cause them to rupture. In my slight experiences, eating peanuts on an empty stomach (working late and it's all there was) seemed to do me in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the wedding was beautiful. My daughter looked great, and she and her new husband had the party of their life.

As far as WHY I postponed......

My neighbor had one done a few days ago. She had a polyp snipped, and the doctor accidentally snipped an artery or perforated something or another. She was found by husbanddunconscience on the floor in a pool of blood. Sje lost almost 50% of her blood. She's since had to get a re-section and she's recovering.

Sorry guys, I know this stuff is scary, but I had to share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Diverticuli abscess.My doctor post a surgery in mid January.Can I ride my bike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's that time in lyour life when fiber becomes a regular part of your dilet and obsessing about getting off a dump is a daily fixation. Welcome to the wane. bk