Thread: 500 miles

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 miles

No, I didn't ride a quintuple century.

I passed the 500 mile mark on my bike today. I bought the computer a couple of months after I bought the bike in March of this year, so my actual mileage may be closer to 600. We got a very slow start the first few months and barely rode at all, but now I try to ride 4 times a week if I can, as much as I can no matter how little that might be. Those little rides here and there and the longer rides on the weekends have led to a better ability to climb and to recover fast enough to go on another 20+ mile ride the next day without even a twitch in my muscles later. Last night I returned home around 8:30 after a visit with my parents. I changed into my bike clothes and went out for a 30+ minute ride in the dark. A year ago, that would have seemed crazy to me -- riding at night? In the dark? Isn't it time to get ready for bed??? Now, it's just what I do and it doesn't seem crazy at all.

I know this mileage is very low compared to most of you and probably laughable to many who read this, but this is a personal accomplishment that I could not have imagined a year ago. Today we rode 24 miles, tomorrow we'll aim for 30 miles. We talk about a century next year but our goal for the time being is to just keep riding as often as we can, ride together when we can, support each other's efforts, and have fun.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on completing such a terrific milestone. Keep up the good work and keep on going!
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, you're going to surprise yourself, as you get more and more miles, as time goes on, Congratulations.
    George

Let's ride to the pub!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go!!

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know... I think 500 miles in 6 months is pretty good for your first year back on a bike.
    As many here have told me, do not compare your self to others; compare yourself to you.
    Think of where you were 6 months ago. Think of where you are now. It's a good thing.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500 miles is nuthin' to sneeze at!

Mention to some of your friends that you've done that mileage on a bike (you may have to specify to some that the "bike" has pedals), and they will be amazed.

Congratulations, and well done!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I know this mileage is very low compared to most of you and probably laughable to many who read this, but this is a personal accomplishment that I could not have imagined a year ago. Today we rode 24 miles, tomorrow we'll aim for 30 miles. We talk about a century next year but our goal for the time being is to just keep riding as often as we can, ride together when we can, support each other's efforts, and have fun.
    Congratulatons Yen!

When I first returned to biking I was riding just a little over 500 miles a year. I think you'll see the mileage go up from here as you really get hooked on riding.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Yen. Like SaiKaiTai said, "Think of where you were 6 months ago. Think of where you are now. It's a good thing."

I remember the guy at the LBS told me anyone could ride 12 miles while trying to coax me to ride in a bike ralley. No way. I made 9 miles several days later and nearly died. Now 30 or 40 miles are just a good ride. For some of the people around here, 100 is nothing; however, they had to get that first 500 miles. Soon, you will be posting 2-300 mile months. Then 200 mile weeks. Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, every post above already said it, but let me add my congratulations as well! I can still remember my first five mile ride, and how hard it was, and what a great achievement I'd made when I could do ten. I'm not being sarcastic, it was a GREAT achievement for me.

And now I routinely ride double centuries two or three times a week before work...um, I mean now I routinely ride a lot more. You've already placed yourself in the top 5%ile. It's all good! Celebrate and ride on!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me. I'm right there with you. I think my highest year in the past 15 years was about 50 miles. I was thinking about this the other day and I think I have close to 700 miles in this year. Hopefully will continue to tack some more on over the next 6-8 weeks before the weather here shuts me down - although an upcoming trip to Seattle/Vancouver will slow that down.

You will probably top me before the year ends!

And next year you will blow me away!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really great, Yen. Just think, from um, San Diego to San Francisco. Or Boston to Richmond, Va!
    Nothing to sneeze at.
    And the year's not even done!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nightbiker in the wilds...
    Giant FCR-1W
    Raleigh M-20

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! There is nothing quite so inspiring as someone who takes up a strenuous sport for the first time and makes good progress. Congratulations!

-soma5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've learned is that it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It matters what you do today and tomorrow. My first ride, about 3 1/2 years ago, was 3 miles and I thought I was going to die. Doctor j is right - tell your friends you did 500 miles, and they will be amazed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Yen. You're over the hard part now, if you keep going it's going to get even better.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for the toasts and cheers and encouragement to push on. I can remember reading about getting a base mileage of about 500 miles or more, and that seemed like a big milestone I wanted to reach. That seemed like forever, and now I'm there. And all of you (and I mean ALL of you!) are my inspiration.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for the toasts and cheers and encouragement to push on. I can remember reading about getting a base mileage of about 500 miles or more, and that seemed like a big milestone I wanted to reach. That seemed like forever, and now I'm there. And all of you (and I mean ALL of you!) are my inspiration.
    Well, you should feel good!
    Wait'll you hit 1000 (sooner than you think)
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Yen! That's about 100 miles per month. Nothing to sneeze at for new bike riders +50. Any it's great that you are making a routine out of it. We've been doing mostly weekend riding, but I can tell it's not the best way to build up strength. We working stiffs need to get some lights, get off the couch, and brave the dark of morning and evening.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TruF: That's how we began, just weekends. Actually our original intention with the bikes was just to supplement our walking routine. Heh! After a few months, we began adding rides during the week and now that's become our routine on as many days as we have available. Now I walk (at work) and ride in the evening after work if time allows. After work, if I'm just sitting on the couch watching TV, I'm starting to see that as valuable "bike time" instead. Even if I have just 20 minutes, I'll go out and ride. Sometimes I change into my bike clothes as soon as I get home from work so I'll already be wearing them later when it's time to ride and it eliminates one of the excuses. It sounds like you're already thinking of riding more often and riding in the dark. Just be sure that you and your bikes are very illuminated so you can be seen, that your lights are strong enough to really illuminate the road ahead. Many people don't like a light that just shines a bright spot on the street, and prefer one that lights up the whole area ahead. That's a whole other shopping extravaganza to embark on -- getting the right lights.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Applause!!!

I remember all your questions and curiosity at the start. Soon you'll be heading out of town on week-ends, bikes on top, to ride around the Next Bend. Adventure Happens. Good-oh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding in the dark is a very pleasant experience. You don't need an expensive light system - if you stay on a familiar route without a lot of traffic, and avoid riding much when it is completely dark, you can have a very good ride with a relatively cheap light.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerlenbach@cfl. View Post
    Riding in the dark is a very pleasant experience. You don't need an expensive light system - if you stay on a familiar route without a lot of traffic, and avoid riding much when it is completely dark, you can have a very good ride with a relatively cheap light.
    I can't avoid routes without a lot of traffic unless I don't mind circling the neighborhood for 10 miles. I don't mind that for a few miles now, and for a few nights, but night after night will get very boring. I need enough light to illuminate the darkest conditions I may encounter outside the neighborhood when it is completely dark, which will be impossible to avoid once winter is here.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to your accomplishment.
    IMHO do not settle on your laurels. Set the bar a little higher. My wife (66) has a recumbent stationary bike. She does one hour/day at 15 miles on it. That is about 500 miles/month since she also goes Tandem with me on Sundays. That adds four times 50 miles = 200 on top of that.
    She can do the recumbent in any kind of weather and any time she has available.
    Oh, I forgot, she also does Curves. (And still does not loose weight)