Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 50+ Aches??

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 50+ Aches??

I can always tell when a significant weather system is heading our way by my wrist. I broke my wrist playing basketball in college (I did get my English exam postponed a couple weeks but went ahead and took an EE exam) and fortunately I don't have any issues with it.......except when the weather is changing dramatically. However when it does hurt, it aches so badly I can hardly squeeze anything for a day or two-and then it's perfectly fine.

I used to get a similar pain at the base of my neck as well but fortunately outgrew that one (Rieters disease). I just hope the wrist is usable for 6-7 hours tomorrow. It could be much more challenging to ride one handed......

Any others have similar issues?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife often seems to get a headache right before bed time.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I can always tell when a significant weather system is heading our way by my wrist. I broke my wrist playing basketball in college (I did get my English exam postponed a couple weeks but went ahead and took an EE exam) and fortunately I don't have any issues with it.......except when the weather is changing dramatically. However when it does hurt, it aches so badly I can hardly squeeze anything for a day or two-and then it's perfectly fine.

I used to get a similar pain at the base of my neck as well but fortunately outgrew that one (Rieters disease). I just hope the wrist is usable for 6-7 hours tomorrow. It could be much more challenging to ride one handed......

Any others have similar issues?
    I get joint pain during stretches of wet and/or cold weather. Not so much anymore, thanks to the weight loss.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah. It's the problem of no being 20. I'm geting ready for the MS150 ad need some long weekend rides to supplement my short commute. Today the kees, right ankle an stif neck are going to have me keep it at 30 or so. Maybe Sunday I can get in 50 -70. If my elbow stops hurting.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I just hope the wrist is usable for 6-7 hours tomorrow. It could be much more challenging to ride one handed......
    Especially while holding the pie in that hand.....

Yep. We canceled today's ride because my hips hurt more this morning. I won't let pain alone stop me, but I don't want to aggravate anything and make it worse as I work to get in shape. (Maybe I'm doing too much all at once after too much sitting for too long?) Ankles sometimes get stiff and pop.... large toe joint hurts with every step (I have osteoarthritis there, that's confirmed)..... neck range-of-motion is bad. Custom orthotic shoe inserts have alleviated a lot of the hip and back pain I used to have. I wear them primarily for the toe, but I highly recommend them for anyone.

But it's a beautiful day with a beautiful blue sky and I shall enjoy it nonetheless! We have to keep moving as best we can.... the worst thing we can do is stop moving because our joints hurt. That will just lead to a host of other issues and slower recovery from joint-replacement surgery.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything hurts from the hip joints on up. One of my water bottles has a small pump attached that lets me regulate my intravenous Ibuprofen. I'm thankful that there is little or no discomfort from there on down - even after a century. Maybe a little knee stiffness. I've learned what my body needs by way of set-up. By trial and error, my bikes have evolved into poor man's Rivendell's. Mr. Peterson recommends a really good setup IMO.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this significant weather system you speak of?

We outlawed weather fronts long ago I will have you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old injuries mostly from skiing and overuse come back to haunt me. To much running, too many moguls when younger......if only I'd known then-- I probably wouldn't have done a thing differently. In my 20's & 30's I couldn't conceive of being 60 or wanting/expecting to still be leading an active life.

When I tell my lithe, strong son he should eat a more balanced diet, he says "yeah, sure, dad". The perpetual cycle of folly from youth to age!
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some of the same issues with my joints when the weather gets damp and barometric pressure drops. When its really bad, my back aches (old USAF injury) and I have a real tough time getting moving. I suppose it helps alot that the wife and I love to read, and when the days are wet/rainy, we stay curled up in our nice warm waterbed.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any 50+ Aches??

Nope!

No 67+ Aches, either!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-15-07 at 12:26 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By 50Plus are there many of us that don't have "heart-aches" accumulated over a life?
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it supposed to be "what doesn't hurt?" at this point in life. If I wake up in the morning and nothing hurts I'm calling the doctor cause either something is majorly wrong, or I'm dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's one thing I've learned it's that you get away with nothing.
    All the tweaks I did in my 20s and 30s -many long-forgotten- are coming home to roost.
    It kinda sucks but whatcha gonna do?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No aches like those mentioned, but, I definitely find the aches of recovery take longer to go away. I feel I am in the best overall condition in 20+ years. Some of that may be due to the fact that I am now riding faster than I ever have. I averaged 17.0 for 42 miles on Thursday, 18.5 for 20 Friday, and 14.1 for 65 today. I am planning about 30 for tomorrow.

My Bikes
    mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am closer to 62 than 61. I was not able to ride during the first eleven days of September, and started back on this past Wednesday. Today I started out on my older, heavier ten-speed bike. It was a little like Forrest Gump. Once I started I just kept going and polished off 40 miles. My usual ride is more like 14 miles. I kept my pulse around 70 to 80 percent of maximum. Nothing aches. I actually feel invigorated, even though I did not start riding seriously again until about 15 months ago. Life is good. Any rides tomorrow will have to wait until the afternoon. I am a pastor and wil be busy conducting worship services all morning. But, I feel good enough that my normal ride could be a real possibility.
    Who am I?
    Where did I come from?
    Why am I here?
    Where am I going?

"Big old guy"
    My Bikes
    Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are kidding right?

I was a Freestyle wrestler for many years, along with many other sports (mostly contact) in the off season. Some days my eyebrows hurt!!!
    The Older I Get, The Better I Was.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strated working at age 16 in a hospital (concrete under tile floors) at age 19 I went to started my apprenticeship ( factory concrete floors) I am now 54 (still standing on concrete floors) add to this the many bicycle crashes I took in my youth, the times I have fallen skiing and doing all manner of physical things around the house and I hurt everywhere. Except after I have ridden for about 5 minutes all my pain goes away. Oh sure I get and occasional numbness in the hands ( thank you air powered grinders and drills) due to carpal tunnel but thats about it. Now when I get off the bike and sit for a while the old back and knees get stiff for a few steps then after that I'm pretty good.So yeah there are a few pains but I don't think I would change much except my first marriage. Now that hurt more than anything.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I always wake up with a stiff back, whereas I used to wake up with a stiff................. oh, never mind.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to think of it, if my hips are this stiff during warm weather, what are they going to feel like in winter?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No aches or pains at 64 until I crashed 4 weeks ago. Ache in lots of places and slight virtigo from the concussion (looking at my helmut I would certainly still be in intensive care had I not worn it). Crashed in a corner going 40 and knocked myself out. First ride to the emergency room since I was 15. Thankful no broken bones but pulled muscles (in places I didn't know there were any) and lots of road rash. Rode 40mi today and am about 90% back. Ibuprofen is a wonder drug. Hope to be back at 100% within another month. Doing a lot of stretching to work the kinks out. Hope there are no long term weather induced effects.
    Cause: sidewall separation at the metal wire rim bead leading to a blowout. I was told it looked spectacular...as if I wanted to really know.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    My wife often seems to get a headache right before bed time.
    Reminds me of a TV sketch from years ago.

Cure for this is to offer her a couple of aspirin on a plate as you go to bed- Make a good deal of it and when she asks what they are-Tell her it is aspirin for her headache- When she says she hasn't got a headache- Its your lucky night
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanster04 View Post
    Cause: sidewall separation at the metal wire rim bead leading to a blowout. I was told it looked spectacular...as if I wanted to really know.

I had one of those a couple years ago on a wire bead just after I'd come down a hill doing around 50 mph. I've never ridden those type or model tires again. I've gone strictly to the kevlar bead foldables....... It wasn't a Continental tire by chance was it??

My Bikes
    mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
    You are kidding right?
    I assume you are referring to my post about riding 40 miles at 61 plus years with no aches or pains. I am not kidding. It surprised me, too. These 40 miles are quite flat, but have left me worn out for a few days in the past. This is also the first time I have used an HRM during that ride and may have overdone it before. And, I had more help than grief from the wind this time.

In regard to aches and pains, I never played contact sports. I did have a couple of nasty bicycle crashes in college. My twin brothers (two years younger than I) have both had hip replacements, but I have no problems. I think they got my father's genes while I got my mother's. You just have to choose your parents well. ;-)
    Who am I?
    Where did I come from?
    Why am I here?
    Where am I going?

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any 50+ aches?

A 25 year old one that just won't leave the house.
    (Really I love her but I just can't wait for her to finish college)
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that really bugs me are cramps I get at night in my instep, usually after hard rides of 40 miles or more. Not sure that has anything to do with being 59, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast