Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Pie Ride - Report Your 50+ Great Tradition Here! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/343950-pie-ride-report-your-50-great-tradition-here.html)

DnvrFox 09-15-07 09:50 AM

Pie Ride - Report Your 50+ Great Tradition Here!

PIE RIDE - REPORT YOUR 50+ GREAT TRADITION HERE!

Minimum of fifteem mile ride with a stop for blueberry pie at a local cafe (or as close as you can get to that) on the 3rd Saturday in September.

Left at 7 am

22 miles, stopped for pie at 13 miles

Scrambled eggs followed by

A Triple Berry Pie (includes blueberry) a la mode at our local Village Inn

Met wife on trail and rode last 6 miles with her.

See Pictures Below.

stapfam 09-15-07 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to work but Got dispensation from the Manager-Me- to close early. All work done and nothing else to do so got home mid afternoon. Felt tired so a gentle ride down for pie and coffee. It is Pie- Raspberries on a thin pie crust and lashings of Whipped cream on top and White chocolate.

Took it so gentle went up a couple of slopes to work it off and Feel fine- Saved energy for a hill tomorrow.

DnvrFox 09-15-07 11:57 AM

Cell Phone Pictures
Warm Pie
http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/2007pie1.jpg

Mileage
http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/2007pie2.jpg

Me after eating pie in Village Inn
http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/2007pie3.jpg

Sandwarrior 09-15-07 12:47 PM

I am still at work unfortunately. Will be here for another 6 hours. Then I have to hustle home get in gear abd head out. The wife didn't get to make that pie for me so I will have to find a place and purchase one before the ride.

Digital Gee 09-15-07 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a great 24 mile ride with Zymans, and we stopped for BLUEBERRY pie and coffee at the Coronado Marie Calendar's restaurant. Here's the proof:

zymans 09-15-07 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5275578)
Had a great 24 mile ride with Zymans, and we stopped for BLUEBERRY pie and coffee at the Coronado Marie Calendar's restaurant. Here's the proof:

I had a great time. It's always fun to ride with DG!

stapfam 09-15-07 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by zymans (Post 5275608)
I had a great time. It's always fun to ride with DG!

Don't want to know about DG- What was the pie like- (You can give the low down on DG later.)

SaiKaiTai 09-15-07 04:03 PM

Well, I was able to barely get in my 15+ miles but the closest I could come to pie was a chocolate glazed buttermilk bar :rolleyes:

howsteepisit 09-15-07 04:16 PM

Pie Ride - 30 miles 1:51. absolutely wonderful day, 70's, no wind, clear skies. Stopped by our office to pick up my wife so she could share in the pie day. Went to local diner, but the only fruit pie they had was apple, so I had to settle for apple. My wife had a beer in celebration of BF over 50 Annual Pie Ride.

All in all, very nice rideand pie!

doctor j 09-15-07 04:27 PM

From the Arkansas contingent... Our little group rode 42 miles in a valley in the Boston Mountains today. This route follows the Middle Fork of the White River for a while, and it is a part of my Fall leaf-peeping route. It's a beautiful ride. There were a couple of decent hills, but Ol' Fuj went right on up them with no problem. Last year, I considered these hills as significant challenges, so I suppose I've made progress. As this is a fairly remote area, where things like light and radio waves have to be piped in, mid-ride pie was not in the realm of reality; however, as soon as I was back amongst civilization, I sought out and procured a tiny Blueberry Pie. Since the Blueberry Pie would burst the calorie budget, I threw caution to the wind and got some spicy fried chicken to precede the pie.

A cold front passed through yesterday and as a result, riding conditions were ideal. Maximum temperature was mid 70's. The ride ended none to soon as we had a thunder shower move through late this afternoon.

Retro Grouch 09-15-07 05:44 PM

Mrs Grouch and I rode 10 miles into St Charles to watch the stage finish of the Tour of Missouri.

The pie was utterly disappointing. First we had trouble finding a cafe that served pie at all. When we finally found one they only had factory produced offerings. Then, I think, the waiter must have brought me turtle cheese cake insted of chocolate/peanut butter pie. On top of that it was over priced. They won't be seeing me again any time soon.

The Tour of Missouri finish, on the other hand was wonderful. They had big screen TV's so we could watch what was happening out on the course. It was neat since I'm quite familiar with the roads they were raceing over so I could imagine exactly where the racers were and the terrain they were experiencing. There was lots of other stuff, vendor booths and the like, to do too. It was neat. I'm really glad that we decided to watch at the finish rather than somewhere out on the course.

The ride home was also 10 miles and included the short climb here the winner made his decisive break. In spite of the not-so-good pie Mrs Grouch and I agreed it was a great afternoon.

Artkansas 09-15-07 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by doctor j (Post 5275829)
From the Arkansas contingent... Our little group rode 42 miles in a valley in the Boston Mountains today.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Arkansas another 50+ Ride for Pie was occuring. I started out at 6am with a short jaunt to the Shipley's Donut store to get a few doughnuts while waiting for the sun to finish rising. The thermometer read an astonishing 60 degrees F. Doughnuts finished, I rode my Bacchetta recumbent into the sunrise. I'm training for the Big Dam Bridge 100 so I did my training ride, a 10 mile loop along Hinson Loop that undulates through some of the nicer parts of west Little Rock. Then I took a nap.

Knowing that I still had more miles to do and pie to eat, I later started into the commercial part of town on my failthful Specialized Hard Rock. My first stop was the Buffalo Grill. All they had pie wise was apple, so I had a slice ala mode. Mmmmm.

That done, I rode across the parking lot to Arkansas Cycling and Fitness. Besides ogling the bikes, I picked up a few necessities; a floor pump, a Camelbak hydrating pack, a Kryptonite Ulock for the Bacchetta and a safety vest. Heavily loaded down, I rode back to my apartment pedaling up the 17 percent grade that is Mara Lynn Rd.

I took another rest and then hopped back on the Hard Rock to do more shopping, finding 3 spray bottles at Dollar Tree and picking up some soap and rice at Kroger. I stopped at the blood pressure machine at Kroger and found that my BP was 115/79. :) Then it was home for dinner.

divingbiker 09-15-07 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a short ride in upper Montgomery County, Maryland with four friends I met at Cycle Across Maryland in July, and two others who were neighbors of the host. I brought a peach-blueberry pie for dessert, but it wasn't very good and most of us were stuffed from dinner anyway. Even bad pie is tasty, though. Here's what's left of it.

Attachment 54718

Tom Bombadil 09-15-07 07:30 PM

It was cold in Red Wing, Minnesota, got down to around 35 early this morning. So I waited until 9:30 to start. It was still just 41 and I had to wear a little more than I normally do. But it was a beautiful sunny day and the Cannon Valley Trail is wonderful. It runs along the Cannon River, past wetlands, bluffs, farms, through woods, and even past some ancient Native American archaeological sites. And it is paved too! I'm not used to riding on asphalt.

I rode 20 miles to the town of Cannon Falls and found a bakery there. Had a 12 oz jug of milk with cherry pie (no blueberry available) for the total cost, including tax, of $1.84. And it was quite good. Got to love those small town bakeries.

It had warmed up to 60 for the ride back to the trail head. It was great. Stopped to admire the view a few times, took a hike to see one of the archaeological digs, chatted with other riders. The 50+'ers were out in droves, in fact, they were in gangs! Saw one gang of 20, two more of 10-12, and several small 4-6 gangs. Scary! They seemed to be having a great time. Probably saw close to 100 50+'ers. And four of them were even riding bikes with drop bars!!

I rode 40 miles in all, and admit that I was a bit tired at the end. It was a great day. Later I had dinner at a restaurant that was having their "Once a Year Famous BBQ Chicken." Must have been 50-60 motorcyclists there, Harleys were everywhere on the street. It was great too.

Hope to post pics after I get home and can upload them.

stapfam 09-16-07 07:58 AM

2nd pie ride today- Yesterdays ride was when I was tired after work so out for a ride this morning. Took in a couple of hills and the first one had a headwind- It also one of the routes up to the hills for the Mountain bikers. Saw one lot- Obviously a "Team" as 9 of them on identical bikes and clothing- crossing the road in front of me- Those trails must be dry as they looked as though they had just got out of the car. Then I saw an MTB in front of me. Spinning like crazy and I was catching him. Got to the top and there they were- a large group of about 20 of them- Still all clean- Rode straight past them and downhill- only to have 8 roadies coming up the hill. Definitely a biking morning- Then down to the coast and up the long drag for 2 miles- Tailwind this time so put a bit of effort in to get up it only to find Bikers galore coming down. I reckon I was going up the hill faster than they were coming down so The wind had got up a bit. Down for Pie and I was tempted- Steak and Ale PIE- but I still had a few miles to go so it was only apple today- With Ice cream.

Only 22 miles done and in a slow time due to the hills so out to the Marshes and get some milage in- First 20 miles were good (That tailwind again) and then it was head inland to get some protection. That was harder- A few more slopes and a Headwind when it was exposed. Put it this way- I did the route the wrong way- That headwind was getting stronger and I was glad to get back and check speed- Diabolical at 13.7 mph. Highest speed was good- 47 down the steep hill and milage- Wish I had read it earlier as I had just done 86 miles. A small diversion and a 100 would have been on but I doubt that I would not have been cutting the grass this afternoon if I had taken much longer on the ride.

Not often I get the time to spend 7 hours on a ride but today was one of them. Next few weekend are tied up so looks like October before another Long ride comes in.

Terrierman 09-16-07 02:22 PM

My terriers and I went hunting. I did see a guy on a bike though, so had pie anyhow. My pie was breakfast pizza pie (eggs, bacon and cheese) from Casey's. Probably walked about 8 or 10 miles all in, so don't feel that I got cheated on getting my exercise in for the day.

cyclinfool 09-16-07 03:22 PM

http://home.nycap.rr.com/dwsexton/distance.jpg
http://home.nycap.rr.com/dwsexton/pie.jpg
Please accept this as my official application into the 50+ Bike Forum Royal Cycling Pie Eaters Society. I have not performed all the actions the rules require, but I hope a get a few style points for the distance, 35.48 miles (One rather large ridge to climb in the middle and a 15 to 20 mph head wind for 1/2 the ride).
I know I am a day late and the pie was not off the home made cafe style. I did get it at a Stewarts which does have a few sit down booths. I leave it up to the august panel of pie eating judges to decide whether I have met enough of the criteria for this application to be accepted.

Neil_B 09-16-07 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5274581)
PIE RIDE - REPORT YOUR 50+ GREAT TRADITION HERE!

Minimum of fifteen mile ride with a stop for blueberry pie at a local cafe (or as close as you can get to that) on the 3rd Saturday in September.

I had two blueberry toaster pastries at the 20 mile mark today. That's all you are going to get. The ride report is going into another 'failure' post.

bobby c 09-16-07 06:25 PM

Went on ride with some other BF’ers – young ones, though. There were 6 of us, 3 men and 3 women. The women did 45 miles, the men did a metric century. Strong winds kept us on our toes. We ran into a local race – this heat was 75 Cat1 & Cat3 races. Very inspiring.

Upon return, we had several pies – the first few were pizza. For dessert we brought blueberry & peach – no pixs though.

cgallagh 09-16-07 06:31 PM

Red Rider and I were not able to get out on the road yesterday. We had to do a bunch of chores before we were forced to attend the annual Harvest Ball at Castello di Amorosa in St Helena http://www.napavalleycastle.com//index.cfm Multi course meal served in Daryl Sattui's private castle. Many different excellent wines and sweets, coffee, port and madiera served. Band and dancing to the wee hours. It was tough but someone had to do it.:rolleyes:

Today we rode 25 miles to Green Valley Cellars for their Harvest Tasting. Once again there were many nice wines and great food all over the place. Once again we forced ourselves to have fun. It was truly tough. Of course today we were swishing and spitting but not the food. We had asparagus quiche (pie), dried figs and apricots, an excellent selection of cheeses, fresh apples, strawberries, veggies, chocolate, cookies, tarts, and of course BBQ sausage, pork, and tri-tip. :D When we got ready to leave, we discovered a visit from the flat fairy.:eek: Got that fixed and boogied home. Totals 50.06 miles, 19.2 mph total average.

Kurt Erlenbach 09-16-07 07:00 PM

Man, you guys make me envious. It's still in the 90s here in sunny Fla, though the mornings are a little cooler than they've been. I did a metric century on Saturday - I can't stop to eat (except a power bar or two) while riding. It's one of the many downsides from having a rearranged colon (i.e., a semi-colon) as a result of cancer. Just reading Tom B's post about drinking milk and eating pie during a ride makes my belly hurt.

wrafl 09-16-07 07:03 PM

Did 35 total miles this morning and had an apple pie at about 23 miles. I make sure an apple pie is always on my trunk bag whenever I get on the bike. I usually bring a banana and an energy bar but have added pie lately. Cherry pie and blueberry pie will be in the bag soon. Yum.

Tom Bombadil 09-16-07 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by kerlenbach@cfl. (Post 5280166)
Just reading Tom B's post about drinking milk and eating pie during a ride makes my belly hurt.

Perhaps I shouldn't tell you that during today's ride, I stopped at a cafe and had a muffaletta sandwich! This time with a root beer.

Kurt Erlenbach 09-16-07 07:11 PM

Is there a puking smiley symbol?

bobby c 09-16-07 07:25 PM

By the way, after yesterday's pie ride, we had a fantastic Ethiopian meal - not exactly pie but it doesn't get much better for me:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...Bikes/food.jpg