I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride for the Pie vs. 50+ Weight Loss Challenge

It has been said that the mind cannot hold two contradictory ideas at the same time. This may be a perfect example of that!

It will keep me thinking, at least, during today's ride.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can eat just the fruit and leave the crust.......
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    You can eat just the fruit and leave the crust.......
    No fun in that- Just like an Australian "Don't bother latte coffee"

Decaf coffee and low fat milk
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pooh. Calculate the calories you'll need to neutralize the pie, then ride a bit more. Not so imponderable. We 50Plussers don't make good navel contemplators....mostly because most of us can't find our navel any more!

However, here's one.....given the tiny but useful lift provided by a fart's worth of methane, not to mention the tiny but measurable amount of forward thrust provided by a rear-ward fart...........does this contribution to motion justify the muscular energy expended to produce the fart-event? (Forgive me but sometimes, on long rides, my mind wanders to this conundrum).
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    No fun in that- Just like an Australian "Don't bother latte coffe

Decaf coffee and low fat milk
    I agree, which is why I included the winkie. I mean, what's the point??? I think David Letterman said something like that after his bi-pass surgery when he was told to switch to decaf -- "What's the point???"

I like Marie Callender's strawberry pie.... lots of big fat hi-fiber strawberries on a flaky crust. It probably amounts to at least 2 servings of fruit (and fiber) and the crust is just a slice of bread. So I think of pie as 2-3 fruits, a slice of bread, and spoonful of sugar. If you factor that in to your daily food intake, and make the appropriate substitutes, it should not lead to weight gain.

[Disclaimer: I added the last smiley to indicate that I am not taking the OP's rhetorical question too seriously. ]
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come you are all posting here, and not out doing your pie ride? (Which some of us have already done)
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    How come you are all posting here, and not out doing your pie ride? (Which some of us have already done)
    Just trying to offer advice for the Few that are having a problem in deciding as to whether their weight problem is going to stop them from participating in one of the Great 50+ traditions- And I have done my ride today and got pie and now resting to get another slice of pie tomorrow. Any excuse for pie -eating it of course- is worth it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pie ride is not a problem for people trying to lose weight. Nor is overindulging occasionally on a few other special occasions. The problem is with making the treats for special occasions into a regular part of the weekly routine.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my pie place didn't have blue berry today, something about blue berrys out of season. They are always in season at the frozen food aisle at market. So at midnight, eastern time, my pie will be ready. Tried a crumb top this time. Way I figure it a 1/8th piece of a 9 inch pie is 350 cals. thats 5 miles at 10 mph. I'm thinking of riding half a pie's worth....at least.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The pie ride is not a problem for people trying to lose weight. Nor is overindulging occasionally on a few other special occasions. The problem is with making the treats for special occasions into a regular part of the weekly routine.
    +100
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I combined the two subjects yesterday. I was preparing for my 40 mile pie ride and was putting on my belt (it was 41 degrees so I went with my long, lightweight pants), and was having a hard time getting the buckle into a belt hole. "What's going on here?" I thought. Then I noticed that I had "undergrown" my belt. When I had the belt pulled to its normal fit, it was now past the inner hole.

Now that really made Ride for Pie day special!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post