My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inconsiderate Motorists

I have to apologize for this but I was miffed

[/rant] Last night on an evening ride I was crossing a bridge choked with communter traffic, this is a notorious stretch of road which can tie commuters up for long waits. The road has a nice bike lane, so I am tooling along passing cars on the left doing about 20 while the cars were doing about 5. I am spotted by a jerk in a minivan who sees me coming up and moves over and blocks the bike lane. So I am down to 5mph. Then the car opens a gap to the car in front of him - coming almost to a complete stop - I can only guess to make me dab out of my pedals. Luckily the car behind me has also given me a gap. I accelerate and pass on his left facing the oncoming traffic (not too smart but I had an opening) and off I go. About a mile up the road - after the choke point the same van passes me almost taking me out with his side mirror. From time to time I run across these jerks. Most drivers I find go out of thier way for bikers, some need a lobotomy - maybe they had one already. [/rant]

Ah - I feel better now!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's your ride, don't let any one else control it... You can smile at their silliness, or hurt yourself trying to bother them
    I have the key, to escape reality....Get on your bikes and ride

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inconsiderate motorists exist and there is not a great deal you can do to change them. Had one on my ride yesterday and he just pulled a bit too far over for me to pass him in traffic. Squeezed past him and a bit further along the road he passed me again in the traffic and pulled over more. He is now a driver that can't see out of his mirror that is pointing up in the Air. He didn't pass me again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same problem here, in heavy,peak traffic left turning traffic (we ride/drive on the left side of the road), start to form an extra lane ,taking up the marked cycle lane ,once one moron starts it off all the rest follow like sheep ,even saw a cop car in the illegal impromtue turning lane last week on my commute home last week ! wtf does that say ?
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of frustrated drivers. Best to stay out of conflict. If someone is being a plick blow it off as a very unhappy person.
    On the other hand there are some very inconsiderate cyclists like a group that was riding in a peleton 4 wide on a 2 lane road causing some drivers some consternation needlessly. Courtesy is so easy.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanster04 View Post
    Lots of frustrated drivers. Best to stay out of conflict. If someone is being a plick blow it off as a very unhappy person.
    On the other hand there are some very inconsiderate cyclists like a group that was riding in a peleton 4 wide on a 2 lane road causing some drivers some consternation needlessly. Courtesy is so easy.
    My typical MO is to leave them alone no matter what they do, in this case I did not flick the driver off or even give him an evil look - I simply passed where there was space, on his left where he should have been rather than in the bike lane were he was.

I watched a cyclist go through the back window of a car because he flipped the driver off - the cyclist was charged with the accident. It's burned in my mind - I try to leave cars alone and remember to smile and wave at the considerate ones. Road rage knows no bounds and we didn't bring the right weapons for that fight.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reminded of a cartoon I saw in a motorcycle mag donkey's years ago. It shows our hero, kicking a side mirror off a car with the comment "If you're not using it, you won't be missing it."

Idiot drivers - they're not as bad as idiot cyclists, just more common.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    My typical MO is to leave them alone no matter what they do, in this case I did not flick the driver off or even give him an evil look - I simply passed where there was space, on his left where he should have been rather than in the bike lane were he was.

I watched a cyclist go through the back window of a car because he flipped the driver off - the cyclist was charged with the accident. It's burned in my mind - I try to leave cars alone and remember to smile and wave at the considerate ones. Road rage knows no bounds and we didn't bring the right weapons for that fight.
    If you're looking for "the right weapon for that fight", you might consider this. Fits in a jersey pocket, and the hammerless design makes for a snag-free draw. At just 12 oz unloaded, it might be the ultimate weight weenie carry ***.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No apology needed. Glad your mini-rant helped.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAsFat View Post
    If you're looking for "the right weapon for that fight", you might consider this.

Let's get a new bumper sticker made for the forum members, or maybe something we can pin to the backs of our jerseys, that says

I'm changing lanes. Cover me!

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unfortunate there are so many morons driving these days. Granted, some on bikes, more in cars. This is why I'm spending less and less time on the road. As soon as my mtb gets here, even less.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull up behind him, take out your cell phone and make sure he sees that you are taking a picture of his license plate. usually once they see that they calm down a bit
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAsFat View Post
    If you're looking for "the right weapon for that fight", you might consider this. Fits in a jersey pocket, and the hammerless design makes for a snag-free draw. At just 12 oz unloaded, it might be the ultimate weight weenie carry ***.
    I don't mean to disagree but things like this go a long way to helping the jerk motorists justify the attitude that they have about cyclists.

Unless someone really means to kill (and I'd bet big money that when push comes to shove it will not happen) then this is a waste of time and a bad precident. There is a very fine line that separates the rightous from the very same idiots we are always complaining about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some are inconsiderate, or just not paying attention. It's the outright hostile ones you have to be careful of. There are more of them out there than most people think. bk