Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Last Monster Ride of the Season!!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-16-07, 08:04 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Bridge to Bridge 2007 is in the books. This year's ride was done in memory of Scott Bush who died of a heart attack on last year's ride at about 90 miles into the ride. His wife gave a wonderful talk before the event started this morning and they also allowed all his riding buddies to start in the very front. Makes you appreciate just being here.

Weather was absolutely perfect. Temps were cool-probably 50's at the start and no higher than the 60's all day. Just a hint of breeze as well. Climbing in 60 degree temps is just about perfect.

My total time was 6hr 22 mins with about 5 mins in a stop. The first place finisher (a good cycling friend of mine) finished in 4 hr 40+ mins.......but he's only 20+ years younger!!

This is two rides in one. The first 50 miles is pretty flat and with just about all the 9500 ft of climbing in the second half of the ride. We made the base of the long 13 mile climb (which is at 50 miles) at 2 hrs-so we averaged 25 mph for the first two hours. It took me another 4hrs and 22 mins to get to the finish so the last 50 miles I guess I averaged about 12 mph. As usual there were lots of spectators at the finish at the top of Grandfather which really helps you get one last push for the 16% hill that finishes in front of everyone. I wasn't up at the top long today and fortunately didn't see anyone topple over......but many were walking and pushing their bikes.

I hit 51.5 mph at one point today-my fastest speed of the year. I knew it was a fast stretch but I didn't know it was that quick.

My daughter sagged for my brother and me-she is a student at Appalachian and must not have partied too hard as she was there on time and followed my directions perfectly. My brother and I leap frogged some on this ride which was a first-his 12 years younger legs are usually several minutes ahead of me. He didn't unclip all day and stopped once to see my daughter and get a couple bottles of fluids.

I have the centuries every Saturday in December but those only have around 3000-4000 ft of climbing and we do those at a conversational pace. So, another year of Monster rides is in the books......Hooray!!

I only used 3 1/2 half bottles of fluids but took handup cups as I was riding by Sag stops. I ate 3 1/2 bananas and one pack of Lance crackers-Grampsters and my favorites.

After the ride we celebrated with steaks and fixins. I also managed to push down two pies......a Hershey's chocolate and a cherry pie. Tomorrow night is margarita night at my house and you all are invited!!!

Old 09-16-07, 08:10 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Oh-I guess this will count as my birthday ride since I was just earlier this week.
Old 09-16-07, 09:12 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I envy you. I've been training for the Big Dam Bridge 100, and I'm still taking 4 hrs and 45 minutes to do my 50 miles test run.

That's too slow and they will cut me at the 50 mile mark if I can't chop 45 minutes off that. I hope that the course is flatter than my test course, but they are just across the river from each other, and have about the same elevation spread of about 400 feet between highest and lowest points and they are both mostly in the foothills of the Ouachitas. So I'm not sure what will happen.
Old 09-17-07, 07:06 AM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I envy you. I've been training for the Big Dam Bridge 100, and I'm still taking 4 hrs and 45 minutes to do my 50 miles test run.

That's too slow and they will cut me at the 50 mile mark if I can't chop 45 minutes off that. I hope that the course is flatter than my test course, but they are just across the river from each other, and have about the same elevation spread of about 400 feet between highest and lowest points and they are both mostly in the foothills of the Ouachitas. So I'm not sure what will happen.
If it helps any, you will be faster ride day due to riding with groups, adrenalin, etc. 45 mins is a lot to reduce but very doable.......but even if you unable to get it this year you'll get there.....and in later years you'll look back and see how far you've come. The main thing is to just keep riding, and enjoy the riding and the other stuff will take care of itself.
Old 09-17-07, 10:05 AM
Bike Curious....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, though I doubt you'll be slowing down!