Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He threw down the gauntlet, not me.

I'm cruising along at about 16-17 mph on a stretch of road that's pretty straight and the sun is keeping me pleasantly warm. Suddenly out of a long driveway shoots a 20 or 30 something guy (I can't tell anymore) on a full carbon Wiler Centro Record with full Campy Record gear. And he's wearing the full Discovery kit. The guys not going as fast as I am, and is completely unaware of my presence, because he's too busy adjusting his IPod ear buds. I'm in a good mood so, I slow down, pull up along side him and say, "How you doing?" He looks over at me, sneers and goes, "pfft!" He drops down onto his highest gear and starts to crank it out, as if he's going to leave this geezer who's not worthy of a civil response in the dust.

OK, I know when I've been dismissed and/or insulted. So, I pop the chain up to the 50 on the front and drop it to the 13 in the rear. Now I'm on his wheel, and he know's I'm there. We're about two miles into this and I've been at about 100 rpms pretty steady for alot of this time. He can't drop me. I call ahead, "Hey, I can pull for a bit." He just starts jamming even harder. I'm hitting up to 112 rpms. I don't believe I can hold this much longer. But it goes on for almost another mile, and while my lungs are holding their own, my legs are starting to feel like I've been climbing a 12% hill for the last hour. I really don't know how much longer I can hold this. Straight ahead is an intersection with the traffic light, which is red. I'm thinking, "Oh crap. Now I've got to deal with this guy, and I'm real tired." He looks like he's not going to stop, but at the last minute jambs on his brakes. I've already almost come to a complete stop. Now he turns and looks over his shoulder at me, and gasping for breath starts to say, "You old wheel suckers think...." I never hear the rest of what he wants to say, because suddenly he's tossing his lunch on the side of the road. I ask if he's OK, and he shoots me the finger. The light is turning green, and I push off and clip in. As I pull away, he's doing the dry heaves for all he's worth.

I didn't see him again for the rest of my ride. I sure hope he's OK. As I was hanging up the bike at home I was thinking that maybe I wasn't being very nice.
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 09-17-07 at 06:04 PM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. What a story. Pfft indeed.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, I just had to laugh
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old wheel sucker? What was his beef, you offered to pull didn't you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drafting is a beautiful thing. Ego leaves a bit to be desired.

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really alien way of dealing with the world to me, from either end! I suppose that's why I never raced.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the greatest story I've heard in a long time, great job.
    George

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story! And thank you for representing our little band of not-so-world-class velo athletes so gracefully. If you did derive some personal satisfaction to see him losing his lunch on the side of the road, it doesn't show. Me, I probably would have said something less kind like, "Next time maybe you could suck my wheel..."
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story!

BTW, when you woke up, was there a wet spot on the sheets?
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    27*112*60*3.14159*50/(12*5280*13)=34.6mph
    I would have puked too if I were him.
    I think I would have looked over at the wreched fool and said - that was one hell of a pull, thanks.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Great story!

BTW, when you woke up, was there a wet spot on the sheets?
    Wet spot? No, way. Everything was soaked.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

"Big old guy"
    My Bikes
    Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would have paid cash money to see that!

Had sort of similar thing happen this summer while riding in a tour.

At the end of one day’s ride (it was fairly early in the day) as I was exiting the shower one of the young hammers ( you know the type full kit, shaved legs, carbon fibre shorts) said “what do you ride”. I told him the name of the bike I ride, he said “ no I mean, is it like a recumbent?” I said “no just a touring bike” he shook his head and stepped into the shower. Now to put this in context I really don’t look like a cyclist, an old football lineman maybe but not a guy who had just finished 70 miles.

I guess some of the youngsters do not realize that you never judge another biker by how they look. Years ago I was passed by a really “old guy” (he was perhaps my age now) who had just had a hip replaced!
    The Older I Get, The Better I Was.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see him again for the rest of my ride. I sure hope he's OK. As I was hanging up the bike at home I was thinking that maybe I wasn't being very nice.

I think you were plenty nice three times. You made a friendly greeting when you pulled up beside him, you offered to pull for a while and you didn't laugh while he was heaving away because he was trying to drop an oldie.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon / Kona PhD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My oh my, that's a funny story. It would have been very fitting if he didn't have the opportunity to get his iPod set to where he wanted it and had to listen to oldies tunes while the chase was on.

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Suddenly out of a long driveway shoots a 20 or 30 something guy "

I think I would find that driveway again, same day, same time, and wait for his exit to see if he had learned anything!!!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    As I was hanging up the bike at home I was thinking that maybe I wasn't being very nice.
    I think you were plenty nice. I think he let his mouth and his ego overload his capabilities. Sounds to me like he got what he deserved. Well done!

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's funny. I love it when people like that get what they deserve.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Har. Good on you. I loved your story.

-soma5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy sounds like he has serious issues. You showed great restraint.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfast View Post
    "Suddenly out of a long driveway shoots a 20 or 30 something guy "

I think I would find that driveway again, same day, same time, and wait for his exit to see if he had learned anything!!!
    I think I may wait a few weeks... He may be carrying mace this time! Kind of like mosquito repellent for "old tire suckers".

Lessons were learned... I'm glad you were there to do the schooling! If this were a movie, you would have been played by the always civil Sean Connery.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I'm cruising along at about 16-17 mph on a stretch of road that's pretty straight and the sun is keeping me pleasantly warm. Suddenly out of a long driveway shoots a 20 or 30 something guy (I can't tell anymore) on a full carbon Wiler Centro Record with full Campy Record gear. And he's wearing the full Discovery kit. The guys not going as fast as I am, and is completely unaware of my presence, because he's too busy adjusting his IPod ear buds. I'm in a good mood so, I slow down, pull up along side him and say, "How you doing?" He looks over at me, sneers and goes, "pfft!" He drops down onto his highest gear and starts to crank it out, as if he's going to leave this geezer who's not worthy of a civil response in the dust.

OK, I know when I've been dismissed and/or insulted. So, I pop the chain up to the 50 on the front and drop it to the 13 in the rear. Now I'm on his wheel, and he know's I'm there. We're about two miles into this and I've been at about 100 rpms pretty steady for alot of this time. He can't drop me. I call ahead, "Hey, I can pull for a bit." He just starts jamming even harder. I'm hitting up to 112 rpms. I don't believe I can hold this much longer. But it goes on for almost another mile, and while my lungs are holding their own, my legs are starting to feel like I've been climbing a 12% hill for the last hour. I really don't know how much longer I can hold this. Straight ahead is an intersection with the traffic light, which is red. I'm thinking, "Oh crap. Now I've got to deal with this guy, and I'm real tired." He looks like he's not going to stop, but at the last minute jambs on his brakes. I've already almost come to a complete stop. Now he turns and looks over his shoulder at me, and gasping for breath starts to say, "You old wheel suckers think...." I never hear the rest of what he wants to say, because suddenly he's tossing his lunch on the side of the road. I ask if he's OK, and he shoots me the finger. The light is turning green, and I push off and clip in. As I pull away, he's doing the dry heaves for all he's worth.

Where did this happen? I may have seen this fellow before.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    **insert witty comment I was going to make but got distracted and can't remember what it was**

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Priceless!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    Priceless!
    +1

I love hearing these stories
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast