Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you noticed how we've changed?

In just a couple of years 50+ er's in our little forum seem to be coming out of the woodwork, investing in more cycling stuff and enhancing their health. Everyday we read about folks doing more and longer rides, more folks commuting etc. Interesting and encouraging.

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is very encouraging jppe. Three months ago before I started riding again at 63, I asked myself can I still do those 100+ mile rides or am I fooling myself? Well, I'm up to 45 miles now and in a few more months, hope to do perhaps double that mileage.

knotty

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is because I live in Florida but the more I ride, it seems the more people over 50 I see on the roads and trails and most of them seem to be in pretty good health.

Lost in Nostalgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since starting riding again, I'm still amazed how many people are riding now. On a good Sunday across the Golden Gate Bridge, it's almost a solid stream of riders going into Marin and back of all ages. When I was racing in the 70's, there was just an occasional rider or two you'd see.

knotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I've changed or not, but I know where there are a couple of hills that have shrunk

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say, I really questioned myself about buying a bike at 65. I'm sure glad I did now and I hope I could ride until I'm a 100.
    George

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say for sure that it's my influence, but I'm noticing lots of my neighbors (the old ones like me) are starting to ride bikes and buy bikes and talk about biking. I love it.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago I rode with a group that rides every Wednesday night. As we were leaving one member noted that at 44 he was the youngest in the group. About a week after that I was having a beer with some friends that had just finished a century. There were five of us, and no one under 50. I find your observations correct. Most of "us" I have met started biking due to health. Most had ridden some in the past and quit to raise a family or tend to business. I think my case is typical, meaning my doctor said I needed to do something, and was quite correct. The wonderful result was that I decided to get into shape through riding. The better "hardware" meaning the bike(s) and all the parts and clothing are necessary to make the required hours of riding more enjoyable. Good observation.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I have to say, I really questioned myself about buying a bike at 65. I'm sure glad I did now and I hope I could ride until I'm a 100.
    - my riding buddy just turned 70 last friday... he was wondering how much longer he would be able to ride... i told him that he's got at least another 30 years of riding to go!

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten years ago you might have caught me being flippant and saying that I was eager to play golf all day after retirement. Now, I'm looking forward to riding instead. My notion of life after 50 changed drastically after I hit 55 and realized I was in better shape then than when I was 35.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    In just a couple of years 50+ er's in our little forum seem to be coming out of the woodwork, investing in more cycling stuff and enhancing their health. Everyday we read about folks doing more and longer rides, more folks commuting etc. Interesting and encouraging.
    I won't be 50 for another 8 years, God willing of course, but I enjoy reading and posting here even if I am a young guy. I enjoy being around folks with a 'can-do' attitude, and there's a lot of 'can-do' around here. And no whining about "fat genes" and the like.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I've not had a bicycle was for the first 3 years I was in the USAF. With all the moves that a young Airman makes in those years and living in the barracks it was difficult at best to have a bicycle. I got married, moved to England and got my wife hooked on Bicycles and doing very lite touring. When the TWINS came, we bought Carriers for the back of the bikes and the kids got introduced to bicycles too.

After the USAF we came home and had the bikes with us. I found out about these new fangled MTB with all the gears, and that was perfect for pulling our Cannondale Bugger Trailer for the Twins.

By 1988, the kids and I were dropping Mom, and she was getting upset with the whole thing. Welcome to the family our Fisher Gemini Tandem. The Great EQUALIZER! This bike saw many trips and was hauled to Washington DC, Chicago Il, Dayton Ohio, and other locations were I was sent for extended stays for work. The wife would pack up the kids and the bikes into the Station Wagon and would come to where I was. Yes, she's a heck of a gal!

I am happy to have had cycling in most of my life. The 5 years I was off the bike I think were some of the worst ones I have had. My weight gain and other issues in my life soon became the deciding factor to get back on my bikes. Being off the bikes has really taken it's toll on my wife the most. Her fitness fell off much more than mine, and it's been much slower to get her back out and riding due to her schedule.

This means that I ride most times by myself. I do have a young Grand Son that loves riding on a 1/2 bike, but he's just starting out and I can't push him too far.

At 51, I am not in top form to be sure, but there are some days where I'll go out and ride for an hour or so and see something I just have to attack and try and do my personal best up some climb. I HATE hills, but some are really a challenge and I know I need to hit it to be better. I am always amazed that I still have the legs under me and wonder why I don't do more!

I have the blessing to work part time at a fabulous Bike Shop. I was asked to come to work there by the owner. He's been a friend for a number of years and when he asked me, I knew it was right for me. I enjoy talking with the customers and helping them to make the right decisions in cycling. While my concentration is MTB's and Family Recreational cycling, it seems to fit in well with the others in the shop. I learn from them and they can learn from me.

My long term goal is to Ride More, and when the time comes to retire form my main Full Time Job, that I'll be in the position to work more at the Bike Shop, and also become more of a cycle commuter.

I see what other have done here, and my hat is off to everyone of you!

Well Done!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon / Kona PhD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm into my early 40's and plan to keep riding for the rest of my life which is something I never gave much thought to when I was in my 20's living more "in the moment". I'm also happy to say that I'm a better rider now, I accomplish more now than I ever did, and my goals are always increasing.

The only cyclists I know from where I work are two guys in their late 50's. We chat about rides, compare notes, etc., and every now and then we'll meet up and take a short ride together. Those guys serve as great role models to me for the direction I want to head in as I grow older, and I guess I can say the same for everyone here as well.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And up to now I thought it was all Bev's fault........

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    And no whining about "fat genes" and the like.
    It's not the "fat genes" I whine about - it's the "Fat Jeans."

Seriously, I believe that if you are going to have folks 50+ exercising, you need to give them great opportunities to do that.

Around here they build the bike paths BEFORE they build the subdivisions, and they are all tied together. And despite the continuous BFN arguments and discussions over bike trails, MOST folks (particularly 50+ newbies) will not consider riding on a highway with cars. At least not at the beginning.

Yesterday, I went with my wife to an aerobics/fitness class for "Silver Sneakers" - a national program supported by three insurance companies (not mine, sadly) who pay the cost for folks on Medicare so they can join this special program at the local rec center.

Lots and lots of folks in that class, doing a full hour of cardio, strengthening, stretching and balance work. Some in their 80's. I would guess.

I went there because my wife did not want to go there alone. But, all in all, I did find it mildly challenging. So, this morning, my wife is joining a group of 6 other ladies, all in their 60's and 70's and + for a bicycle ride on our local trails.

And, I get to ride by myself, which I love.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-18-07 at 06:11 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmooz View Post
    I'm into my early 40's
    Hmm!

Have you received the official 50+ waiver for posting illegally?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon / Kona PhD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hmm!

I'll have to sign one. Some of the best posts are on this forum. Can't wait eight more years before I butt in.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    I'm not sure if I've changed or not, but I know where there are a couple of hills that have shrunk
    Same here, doctor j.

A couple years ago I had to walk many of the hills. Now I can spin up most of them. There have been a couple this year that I needed to stop near the top to rest before tackling the remainder of the hill. Maybe next year I'll be able to climb without stopping
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmooz View Post
    I'll have to sign one. Some of the best posts are on this forum. Can't wait eight more years before I butt in.
    Those were the magic words that give you membership into the 50+ group
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eleven years ago: 300-500 miles a year, Toys R' Us bike, no cycling specific clothing, overweight and a smoker

Today: I'm hoping to hit 4000 miles this year (currently have 2500), carbon fiber bike, too many cycling clothes, normal weight and a non-smoker

Things have really changed
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Troy, Ohio -- At 101-years-old, Clair Duckham, who co-founded the Dayton Cycling Club in 1961, pedaled his low-riding Whiz-Wheel trike from Vandalia to Troy Sunday morning under ideal bicycling weather in celebration of his recent birthday.
    The report.

Also from 2001:
    The Dayton Cycling Club, also founded by "Huffy" Huffman, celebrates its 40th anniversary in 2001. Membership of this touring/riding/racing group is about 700, and includes co-founder Clair Duckham, a 95-year-old avid cyclist who still rides 35 miles round-trip on his modern Campagnolo-equipped Bianchi every Sunday for breakfast.

Neil_B
    Hmm!

Bev told me it's OK.

Neil_B
    It's not the "fat genes" I whine about - it's the "Fat Jeans."
    Sorry, that was a reference to the whining I had to put up with in the Clydesdale forum, and the "upstart Crowe" who protects it. So many excuses, so little time....

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember wondering, back when I was in my early 20's, if I would still be riding when I turned 50.

The good news is that I'm still riding (at 57), still completing double centuries within the time limits and still having fun!

Plus (ref. hill notes above) I'm climbing better than ever. I rode the Mt.Tam double with 14,500 feet of climbing over 200 miles (17 hours, 8 minutes) and headed for bigger (climbing) challenges in 2008!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
    Troy, Ohio -- At 101-years-old, Clair Duckham, who co-founded the Dayton Cycling Club in 1961, pedaled his low-riding Whiz-Wheel trike from Vandalia to Troy Sunday morning under ideal bicycling weather in celebration of his recent birthday.
    The report.

Also from 2001:
    The Dayton Cycling Club, also founded by "Huffy" Huffman, celebrates its 40th anniversary in 2001. Membership of this touring/riding/racing group is about 700, and includes co-founder Clair Duckham, a 95-year-old avid cyclist who still rides 35 miles round-trip on his modern Campagnolo-equipped Bianchi every Sunday for breakfast.
    And he'll probably be back for birthday 102, too I know I'll be doing the ride.

I don't have the exact figures but the majority of members in this cycling club qualify for posting in the 50+ forum
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast