Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I was dropped by my very own bike!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 06:17 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday, I was taking the newly opened MUP around Lake Mirimar. For years, the actual dam has been off limits, but somehow they got permission to open that up, and now you can ride complete laps around the lake. It's quite beautiful, and the road is two lanes wide and there's not much problem with the various types of people using it -- walkers, bladers, cyclists, etc.

So anyway, there I am, tooling along at a pretty good clip for me, when suddenly in my Take A Look sunglass-mounted rear view mirror I notice a cyclist coming up pretty fast behind me. Hey -- that happens all the time.

Only this time was different. As he passed me, a whirling dervish of a commotion, a swish of wind as he sped along his way, leaving me in his dust. I had just enough time to notice what bike he was riding. I was astonished to see it was another WHITE Roubaix, just like mine. I've never seen another on the road before, although I'm sure they're out there.

It can be bad enough to get dropped (if one cares about that, which I really don't), but to be dropped by your own bike is, well, almost an out of body experience!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-17-07, 06:20 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Some of us lead exciting lives, don't we?
Old 09-17-07, 06:30 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Yesterday, I was taking the newly opened MUP around Lake Mirimar. For years, the actual dam has been off limits, but somehow they got permission to open that up, and now you can ride complete laps around the lake. It's quite beautiful, and the road is two lanes wide and there's not much problem with the various types of people using it -- walkers, bladers, cyclists, etc.

So anyway, there I am, tooling along at a pretty good clip for me, when suddenly in my Take A Look sunglass-mounted rear view mirror I notice a cyclist coming up pretty fast behind me. Hey -- that happens all the time.

Only this time was different. As he passed me, a whirling dervish of a commotion, a swish of wind as he sped along his way, leaving me in his dust. I had just enough time to notice what bike he was riding. I was astonished to see it was another WHITE Roubaix, just like mine. I've never seen another on the road before, although I'm sure they're out there.

It can be bad enough to get dropped (if one cares about that, which I really don't), but to be dropped by your own bike is, well, almost an out of body experience!
Did you get a look at the rider?

"Just consider if you will, the life of DG, a man out of place and time, about to be overtaken by himself..............."
Old 09-17-07, 07:03 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Cor, the old boy's hallucinating - either that or he was riding so fast he passed himself

Richard
Old 09-17-07, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee, did you forget to take your pre-ride medication again?? I would have looked closer at the rider on that Roubaix -- maybe you have seen your very own "doppleganger" (a person's exact double). Here is a link if you want to know more:
https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...cle.php?id=201
Old 09-17-07, 07:10 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
It would have been more disturbing if your bike passed you and it really WAS your bike. This would mean someone stole it or, you are in the process of falling of it.
Old 09-17-07, 07:17 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That rider was you, from two years in the future.
Old 09-18-07, 02:56 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
It would have been more disturbing if your bike passed you and it really WAS your bike. This would mean someone stole it or, you are in the process of falling of it.
That's the way I last saw my Bianchi Eros. I was driving, a block away from home in San Diego, and saw a Mexican riding a bike exactly like mine. It was much too large for him. Then I had to make the gut-wrenching split-second decision of whether to pursue him or go the block to home to try to protect my wife's stuff that was also in the same garage. It still hurts to think about it. I did catch another fellow running away with my toolbox though. He dropped it as he ran.

The cops wanted to know why I hadn't apprehended the fellow.

We moved from there a number of months later. About 6 months after we moved out, we heard that one of our neighbor's in the apartment building had seen a neighborhood tough on a bicycle exactly like his wife's bike. He went across the street to confront the tough and got a bullet instead of the bicycle. I'm not sure if his widow got her bike back.

And the cops wanted to know why I hadn't apprehended the fellow.
Old 09-18-07, 03:04 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Cor, the old boy's hallucinating - either that or he was riding so fast he passed himself

Richard
Perhaps they were "Future Echoes" as in the show Red Dwarf.
Old 09-18-07, 04:38 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was astonished to see it was another WHITE Roubaix, just like mine. I've never seen another on the road before, although I'm sure they're out there.
That's the problem with white bikes.... you can't tell them from the ghost bikes.
Old 09-18-07, 04:42 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

It wasn't the bike, DG, it was the engine. :-)

Old 09-18-07, 06:40 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I bet he had clipless to be going that fast.