Thread: If your retired

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your retired

Now that your retired, what else do you do to fill your time besides bicycle?
    We are in the middle of repainting our house inside and out and doing overall improvements which haven't been done in -- shame to say--- 18 years. We still have our regular routine of walking the dogs for an hour in the morning and again at night every day of the week. Monday, Wed., Friday are gym days and then Tuesday and Thursday we treat ourself to a bike ride. Weekends are up for grabs, we may work or we may ride.

My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not retired yet, but on disability for 2 years now due to 2 spinal surgeries which did not really work.

I too, have been doing house work, like redoing downstairs bathroom complete. painting upstairs bath and master bedroom, sealing driveway, re grouting kitchen floor, etc.
    Take the dogs, which are 2 miniature schanuzers (Jaeger & Panzer) for morning and evening walks.
    Ride 18-20 miles everyday which kills me in pain but O well.

So basically, you are not alone. Good Luck

My Bikes
    Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my retired friends keep vey busy, maybee even more than before retirement. Doing things they didn"t have time or energy for when working.
    I have often wondered what percent of over 50 forum users are retired, and at what age they retired and their experience with retirement. Kind of looking for an idea of when to retire, and what to expect. Don't want to outlive my money, but don"t want to leave a bunch either.{want it to be a sad day for everybody when I go.**
    May be a good poll to so someday.
    I'm not totally useless....I can be used as a BAD example.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last day of paid work was last December 24th. I too have a house that has been somewhat neglected, so I have enough projects to last many years. My favourite project this summer was to build a balcony off our 3rd floor bedroom.

I have done more cycling than any year since 1980. We spent January in Miami Beach and that gave me a head start on the mileage log.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retired?! I've still got one in college with three years left. Retired? Yeah, like when I'm 75.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 59 and pulled the plug from work 2 1/2 years ago. I wake up every morning wondering what I will do all day and when I go to bed I haven't done half of it. :-) In addition to biking I have several other hobbies, do a fair amount of volunteer stuff, travel, and read. I'm busy enough that I look forward to a few hours to sit on the couch and read.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could retire right now. But I have 4 kids to get through college and the youngest is in 5th grade. I started a countdown clock but it still has nearly 9 years left on it. By then my hobbies might include "cane walking" and "sitting upright in the park."

David Green

"Your Honor, How can you call him a flight risk?" --O.J.'s attorney

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you retire you must learn a VERY important skill, the ability to turn a 2 hour job into a 2 week job!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 57, retired at 45. Took a few years off, mostly biking, fishing, and hiking at the cottage, but, as my wife wanted to get back into something interesting (she went back to work FT), I started consulting at 50...a few hours/week at first, now about 20 or so.

So I just spent the last 2 weeks salmon fishing, a couple of weeks painting the cottage, took a few trees down at the city house, and am planning on biking from Toronto to Newfoundland next year.

And biking...I still manage about 16,000km/yr

Plan is as soon as my wife retires for good (and means it this time), we're moving to Spain, but keeping our houses here and will split our time between them

nice to be older

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to retire next March at age 61. I think I'll be pretty busy for a while since I keep postponing various projects on the basis that "I'll do it after I retire." That is getting to be one heck of a honey-do list, if you know what I mean.

My Bikes
    Actionbent Suspended Road Runner, Optima Baron, Rans Tailwind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age 68 and still working part time (tue, wed, thurs). Fill the time with biking, of course, and fishing, racing a kart, building and flying RC sailplanes. And.....the usual grass mowing, tree trimming, etc!
    The trick is to not let the PT become FT. Employers like to do that! The part time allows me to enjoy the toys that enable me to make a fool of myself on the weekends.

...............jim

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still work full-time (and then some). My vision for retirement is similar to what others have expressed: part-time consulting, extensive home repairs/improvements, bicycling, and more time with family. I am also strongly considering running for City Council at some point.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Basso, Tommaso, Ibex, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I still work full-time (and then some). My vision for retirement is similar to what others have expressed: part-time consulting, extensive home repairs/improvements, bicycling, and more time with family. I am also strongly considering running for City Council at some point.
    Cool! I have a 1990 Schwinn KOM S9 with full XT and a girvin flex stem. I love that bike. Made in Japan.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BLIZZ posted an interesting observation on this thread, "I have often wondered what percent of over 50 forum users are retired........May be a good poll to so someday."

I would wholeheartedly agree w/ his thought that this would be an interesting thread; however, I'm just a hick from Texas and have absolutely no idea how to produce a poll on a computer.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I am currently heavily and time-consumingly involved in an effort to get a legislative bill produced and passed to end the 10-20 year wait list for services for adults with developmental disabilities in Colorado. This involves moderating two listservs, interaction with legislators, meetings, emails and documents.

2. I have been involved, for the past year in exposing a fair amount of waste and inappropriate salaries in our state's developmental disability service delivery system - for example, one guy gets $336,000 per year in salary plus benefits, more than 3 times what the governor makes. I have developed web pages and email lists to 100's of folks in the pursuit of this endeavor. I testified on this matter before a special legislative committee.

3. I am the coordinator of our men's a capella singing group. We are presenting to nursing homes, coffee houses, churches, senior centers and the like, We have gotten quite good.

http://www.xyzingers.info

4. I have been leading bicycle rides and walks for our senior group at church.

5. I am currently studying once more for my Personal Trainer Certificate from ACE. I almost completed this a couple of years ago, but got interrupted by personal stuff. I want to provide 1:1 personal training for 50+'rs.

6. I developed, and designed the analysis for, supervised the writing by a graduate student and had produced an extensive survey of parent's viewpoints about disability services in Colorado.

http://members.aol.com/padcoweb/PADCOSURVEYFINALALL.pdf

I hate home repairs and the like - I don't mow our lawn, and pay someone else to do that. I love organizing things, writing things, analyzing and the like.

We also have done a bit of traveling through some of the areas in the US of A that we had not previously seen.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-19-07 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my retired what?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I occasionally contact ex-staff who have retired. All of them say they are busier than expected and still can't get to all of the things they want to do. They all seemed very happy.

For myself, I'm still at least 7 years away.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been "retired" for several years. I play in two bands (perform about three times per week on average) and I am teaching part-time at The University of Texas. And this year I took up cycling...

-soma5

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly thought (how foolish of me) that I would be bored. Before I retired (less then a month ago), I use to work from home, but had to go into the "real" office twice a week just to let them know I was still alive and kicking. When there was no work to do at "work", I would keep my phone by my side and watch some TV. Couldn't go outside, phone didn't work out there very well and got bored silly staring at a computer screen, knowing there was nothing to do. It's not like I cheated my boss out of time, I worked my little tail off when we had our busy season, never taking breaks and a lot of time working straight through my lunch hours, so it all evened out.
    My husband retired a few weeks before I did, so he got busy on some projects around the house. When he said he was going to paint the inside of the house, I told him it would take a couple of weeks. I didn't realize that I would be in charge of stripping wall paper out of 4 rooms and painting all the trim in the house. It has taken more like two weeks to do a room, (a few hours a day working on it). We still plan on going to Hawaii in the near future, but have to wait for my husband to really decide to drop what we are doing now and actually go. I can see that we will NEVER be bored. We still don't even go to bed or eat at a decent hour yet, like I thought we would. Well it's time for me to go walk the dogs.
    Does anyone that has retired just sit around and do nothing???

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after cycling, playing hockey, going to the gym, running, playing music, repairing and renovating the house and cottage, I need more time. Enjoying every minute.
    Hockey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    Does anyone that has retired just sit around and do nothing???
    You have a rather selective crowd of which you are asking that question. Folks here are busy, active folks by definition. Folks who are not busy, and are just sitting around, are doing just that and wouldn't dare go near a bicycle forum (or a bicycle). This is a very biased sample!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been retired nearly 5 years. It took a year for it to sink in. I had a job I loved but retired is 100 times better. Go where I want when I want. My golf game has improved with the extra play. I took up riding and love that as well. Three years ago I lost my wife of 40 years so that changed my attitude a whole lot. Basically I just play all day at something. Staying home is tough on me so I am out most of the time. Trying to figure out my next move ... which is mighty tough when you have no one to bounce ideas off.

My Bikes
    Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retire? Got an under 5 yr old and an 11 yr old. No early retirement in my future! We lived like dinks and traveled the world when we were young. Chose to do things a bit out of order.

My Bikes
    All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 53 with a 13 year old and I teach at the school he attends. What could get better than than?

This next summer break I am doing the cross country tour and I am trying to talk my son in coming with me, he hasn't said no.

I am retired Navy but the teaching gig is just to good to give it up, at least for now.

Steven

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could retire, but sending 2 kids through college took care of that. Now it looks like I have to work 7 more years (I'm 59). I can't wait. I'm not sure I'd bicycle more than I do now, since I'm averaging about 140 miles a week, but there's a ton of other stuff I can't wait to do. If I won the lottery, I'd retire in a nanosecond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast