Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come see photos of my first organized ride!

I had so much fun, I'm still on a high about it. I will be doing this as much as I can. The mileage wasn't anything to brag about, but my top mileage had only been 40 up to this point, and we had one member whose top ride was 15 miles. So it was a respectable beginner ride...but nothing to write home (or to the 50+ forum?) about. For almost everyone who came it was a bunch of first experiences, and I'm glad we all left wanting to do it again.

And yes, I yodeled and weaved as a nod to you guys.... wish you were there, but you would have dropped us in the first mile.

Anyway, way more photos than were really needed, but we were sharing them with each other....

Mille Lacs Ride Report (Photos)

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool. Good pictures.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures.

It's good to see you enjoyed your first organized ride. When do you plan your next one? They can become habit forming
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! Sounds like you had a blast. Great pic for your avatar.

So that is where you were when I was riding in Red Wing on the 2nd Annual 50+ Ride for Pie Day.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing, and I am glad a good time was had by all. I tend to participate in disorganized rides.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great ride by a great group of people- Well done to all of you.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for viewing!!!

I seriously would never have considered it if not for reading posts over here and deciding it looked like it was more fun than pain.

People that bike are pretty cool....

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    It's good to see you enjoyed your first organized ride. When do you plan your next one? They can become habit forming
    I don't know! I really have to build my miles up to do a longer ride. There was this great moment in the ride... in fact, the one in my avatar, where we were alone, in the woods, on a quiet road, and I felt like we were all adventurers. That we could take a left at the next road and end up some unknown place 300 miles away and it would be wonderful.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a very fun time was had by everyone, way to go!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! How nice!
    And apparently a sunrise over water is every bit as beautiful as a sunset over water.
    Sweet. I'm very jealous
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It almost makes me want to move up north again, thanks for the pics.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for the pics.
    We should all post photos of our rides more often, I think.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos. Looks like a swell time was had!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Young lady! Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to ride no hands! Shame on you for setting such a bad example for all those kids who were with you!

Cool ride.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good mileage, good friends, good weather (or so it appears in the pix), good photos, and a good representative from Northwest Arkansas. Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Congrats on first organized ride. They are fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to you and your group.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just great! Congratulations.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we could do a 50+ ride around the lake, too, but I think only Tom Bombadil is up here, and he's a long way away from me, too.... (Madison, right?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I think only Tom Bombadil is up here, and he's a long way away from me, too.... (Madison, right?)
    Oddly enough, something about "lucky stars" popped into my head.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Well, we could do a 50+ ride around the lake, too, but I think only Tom Bombadil is up here, and he's a long way away from me, too.... (Madison, right?)
    Well, this past weekend (i.e. two days ago), I was in Red Wing, Minnesota and I rode the Cannon Valley Trail up to Cannon Falls and had cherry pie there. Well, I was in Cannon Falls on Saturday the 15th, but was in Red Wing from the 13th to the 16th.

According to MSN Maps, Cannon Falls is only 33 miles from St. Paul.

But you weren't in St. Paul, were you?
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 09-18-07 at 10:50 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Great pictures! Sure looks like fun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you missed my post in the Ride for Pie thread, I really enjoyed my trip to Minnesota. The Cannon Valley Trail was great, and I had a good time in the Red Wing area. Both Thursday and Friday I had dinner in little cafes with live music. Took a nice hike on Friday up on the bluff.

On the way up I stopped at the Lark Toy Company in Kellogg and purchased a wind-up tin robot that now stands on my conference table. Stopped in Wabasha too, one of my favorite little towns and purchased a pair of cycling gloves that have better padding on the thumbs, in hopes that it will moderate the pain from my tendonitis. I didn't know that Wabasha even had a bike shop.

The circle around Lake Pepin, from Wabasha to Red Wing, across the bridge to Wisconsin, down through Stockholm & Nelson and back to Wabasha is one of the prettiest drives around. I'd been trying to get back to that area for the past three years, and things always popped up to stop me. Would love to spend a week up there. But probably won't be back for a while, maybe another 2-3 years. Have other places to visit now. Like perhaps Lanesboro, MN next Spring. And the Olympic Peninsula in Washington coming up in October.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we're going to do a Lanesboro Clydes ride in the Spring! If you put on a few pounds over winter, maybe you'll want to join us? Actually, join us anyway.... those guys will drop me like a hot potato. I'm like you... I like to just cruise along and stop at pretty spots.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid I don't have to put on any pounds to join the Clydesdales. I am working at getting kicked out of that group.

On my 40 mile ride last Saturday, I made 8 stops. That's a bit on the low side for me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    On my 40 mile ride last Saturday, I made 8 stops. That's a bit on the low side for me.
    Yeah, well, I don't even bother to count* all the stops I make. So I'll keep you posted when the ride happens! Then you can decide to either make a point of coming that day or make a point of NOT coming that day...your choice!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post the dates when you have them and I'll see if it fits my schedule. I'm hoping to make a trip to Utah in March, but I doubt you would be scheduling a ride that early. I posted my dates for coming to Red Wing three times, but didn't hear back from anyone in that area. But I didn't really expect to, as I wasn't trying to organize anything.