Thread: Green River WY

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green River WY

Any of my good friends have any experience cycling in the Green River WY area? I have a possible job op down there and am curious. Thanks for any and all info, lest I have to try and get employment in the San Diego area and have to track down the Digital Gee to ride with. ( I think that would be a pleasure though.)
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean in Green River itself? Pretty small place but nicer than Rock Springs, the closest other town. Only active road bike club in the area is in Evanston WY which is 90 miles west. Here is a link to their site. http://www.evanstoncycling.org/ContactInformation.html They promote the annual (and successful) High Unitas Classic stage race (USCF) and should be able to give the info on traffic loads etc. Here is what I know:

There are only two paved roads leading out of the town. I-80, which has heavy, heavy truck traffic, and not suitable IMO for cycling. Also, State Hwy 530, which is the main route south to Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, heads south out of town. That road gets a lot of traffic on the weekends from (mostly) fisherman going to Flaming Gorge reservoir. About 7 miles west of town State Hwy 372 heads north. Everything for a looooooooooonnnggggggggg way is wide open country (as is nearly all of southern Wyoming). After you get out of town, there isn't a tree along a road for probably 40-50 miles.

Green River is hot in the summer (90's), cold in the winter (frequently minus 0 degrees) and also pretty windy (like all of southern Wyoming). And bone dry with just over 8 inches of precip a year. Here is a link to NWS climate data http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?wygree

Not shown there is average wind speed. It is about 12 mph (about the same as Laramie) which I will tell you is pretty windy. The station in MT with a similar average wind speed is Billings.

I do know someone who has lived there for a long time and might be willing to give you an independent assessment of the non-cycling aspects of the town.
    Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 09-18-07 at 05:11 PM.