Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-07, 05:08 PM   #1
Terrierman

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
The day after...

The day after general anesthesia is probably not the best day to have one of your guys drop you off 30 hilly miles from home to ride there into a 20 mile per hour headwind. I felt fine last night and all day today in training (classroom setting) and was really looking forward to getting on the bike and forgetting about everything for a couple of hours. But man did I feel weak and with a much higher than normal heart rate for the first ten miles or so, and then finally settled in. Oh well, I made it home and that is what counts I guess. Still can't talk though, which I'm sure most consider a blessing.
Old 09-18-07, 06:23 PM   #2
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You probably did more to flush the anesthetics out of your system than sitting at home would have done. Good onya

Richard
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 07:53 PM   #3
doctor j

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
The day after general anesthesia is probably not the best day to have one of your guys drop you off 30 hilly miles from home to ride there into a 20 mile per hour headwind.
I would tend to agree with the initial assessment, and I can feel your pain with the wind. We've had the same stuff here. The good thing is that you got out and rode it out.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 08:03 PM   #4
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
I just hope you're OK.
General anesthesia never sounds like much fun
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 08:18 PM   #5
Terrierman

Bikes:
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I'm fine. The anesthesia was for the colonoscopy, with good results. I guess it beats cussing the doc and nurse, bellering like an old bull, trying to fight them off and scaring living hell out of everyone waiting to be next, which is what they tell me I did the last time with the other more usual stuff. But yeah, you're right about anesthesia, one of the last thoughts you have is "I sure hope I wake up..."
Old 09-18-07, 09:06 PM   #6
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mine's coming up in a couple weeks. I intentionally scheduled it after all the rigorous rides. I would totally agree that it takes a while to completely recover.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 05:31 AM   #7
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
While waiting for my wife's surgery earlier this year I spent about 5 hours in the same waiting room that handles patients in for colonoscopies.

It is amazing how all those (pick one or two) grumpy, angry, upset, unhappy and bemused people go in and then come out with a vague happy smile on their faces while the designated driver guides them by the elbow....
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 07:33 AM   #8
lotek
Forum Admin

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
And don't forget that along with the anesthesia you're probably a bit dehydrated,
haven't put much in your system in the way of energy sources. I know I was dragging
all day yesterday (and I didn't even ride) but feel much better today.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 07:33 PM   #9
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The longest ride I've done to date was 80 miles done while waiting for novacaine to wear off. I rode out to Malibu and down the PCH and back.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 08:24 PM   #10
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji
My first post! I love it! A forum to talk about bikes and colonoscopies!
Just had mine Monday, but I seem to have had a different experience than most folks. They promised "twilight anesthesia"/sedation, and I might not remember anything, but I was chatting with the doc the whole time and watching the TV screen. 2 days earlier, I fell over on the bike while clipped in, waiting for a car in a Mexican standoff, so I had a big bandage on my scraped knee. The doc asks what happened, while he's doing his thing, so I'm chatting away about falling over, and he asks how many miles I do, how fast I go, how long a 25 mile ride takes, and I say, "well, it depends how fast I go.." and he chuckles, "touche!" Meanwhile, the TV is actually kind of fascinating, as I've never seen my insides before. I ask if I can get a copy of the video, and he says they only keep a few selected still photos, but I can have copies of those. I felt fine afterwards, but a 3rd party might have thought I'd had a drink or 2. No, I haven't started riding again, partly because bathing is such a pain as I wait for the knee rash to scab up. I'll refrain from posting my, uh, pix on the first post.
Litespeedlouie is offline   Reply With Quote