Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Record keeping

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Record keeping

Old 09-18-07, 06:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Record keeping

I'm new to the forum, been lurking for a while. I just started riding after several years or relative inactivity. the question I have is how do you keep record of your rides? I used to have a Palm program, but I don't think it works on my Palm Treo.

thanks
J
Old 09-18-07, 06:31 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've got an Exel spreadsheet, that started simple and which now has every bit of useless information my bike computer can give me, plus all sorts of totals - how far this year, how far on each bike, how far for the tag-along, how far the dog's gone in his trailer, how far I've gone on my Brooks.

I'm quite sure some people find riding logs a useful aid to their cycling, but I reckon they're just fun

Richard
Old 09-18-07, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mycyclinglog.com
mapmyride.com
Old 09-18-07, 06:40 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikejournal.com

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-18-07, 07:14 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You're supposed to keep records of your riding?
Old 09-18-07, 07:18 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
You're supposed to keep records of your riding?
A good nerd keeps records of everything

For what it's worth, my son thinks I'm mad

Richard
Old 09-18-07, 07:18 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Garmin and download the info to SportTracks.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-18-07, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm surprised at all these "low tech" replies. I use the single-helix, bound orthogonally organized knowledge system from Mead, a/k/a a 4 x 6 spiral notebook. I keep basic numbers such as trip distance, average, maximum speed, and total miles. Also keep notes on the routes, bike repairs/adjustments, names & part numbers for accessories & parts etc. Thus far, the system has never crashed, and the battery life is phenomenal.
Old 09-18-07, 07:59 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
I'm surprised at all these "low tech" replies. I use the single-helix, bound orthogonally organized knowledge system from Mead, a/k/a a 4 x 6 spiral notebook. I keep basic numbers such as trip distance, average, maximum speed, and total miles. Also keep notes on the routes, bike repairs/adjustments, names & part numbers for accessories & parts etc. Thus far, the system has never crashed, and the battery life is phenomenal.
Obviously you can read your own handwriting - some of aren't so blessed

Richard
Old 09-18-07, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
That's close to my system, doc. I use a Officemate 520 #2 lead to log distance, route ridden, and bike ridden. I'm a simple man.
Old 09-18-07, 09:15 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only try to record my training rides, the club rides and the recovery rides I am not too concerned about. I use a Forerunner 201, it logs everything and the training log maintains all the entries. I had written some programs that would compare speed & time between two rides on the same route but stopped using it, TMI. I look back every now and then and see how much improvement I have made from year to year.

My riding & skiing buddy records every mile logged on the bike and every foot of verticle skiied. Wants to make sure he gets enough in during a season. I am looking for quality, if I am having fun that's all that really matters. If I were training for the olympics then that would be different. I think I am training for when I'm 90...
Old 09-18-07, 09:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jandnvh
how do you keep record of your rides?
I don't.
Old 09-19-07, 05:13 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikejournal.com and my own spreadsheet
Old 09-19-07, 06:21 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Filemaker Pro database I put together that tracks mileage, average speed, max speed, time cycled, the route, and riders.
Old 09-19-07, 06:24 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, but what happens when you spill coffee on this unit

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-19-07, 06:32 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm surprised at all these "low tech" replies. I use the single-helix, bound orthogonally organized knowledge system from Mead, a/k/a a 4 x 6 spiral notebook.
And I bet you have downtube friction shifters with a 2x5 drivetrain!
Old 09-19-07, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8255 Post(s)
Liked 8,966 Times in 4,449 Posts
I don't keep records, don't use a cycle computer anymore, don't use a HRM. Like cyclinfool says, the most important thing is having fun. Since I work full time, I can never get enough saddle time. I think I'll ride about 6000 miles this year. Wish I could do 3 times that.
Old 09-19-07, 08:41 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1. For biking, I use two manual palm-pilots (aka 3"x5" spiral pocket notebooks):
I keep one in my bike bag. Every now and then an idea will pop in my head that I want to remember, or I see road-names that I want to remember for a later ride, so I transmit the input into my manual palm-pilot.
I keep the other at the house. After each ride, I jot the following: Total collective miles (about 440 miles since August) ... daily miles ... monthly miles ... average speed of the total collective miles (13.2 MPH). If I were to create an excel spreadsheet, for now this is all I would want to track.
Old 09-19-07, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I use microsoft Word. The first part is quantitative like start time, total time, ride time, average speed, total mileage. But the most interesting thing is the commentary on the ride itself. This is where I describe my ride experience. You most likely have heard "listen to your body". Well this is where you reflect on the ride and express it. Later on, you can go back on this and figure out how and why you might have bonked, etc. I also discuss my new purchases, flat tires, helping other riders with flats, etc. during a ride, close calls with death on the road, etc.

I separate the bike log into calendar years. The important thing on the commentary is to do it right after the ride, say after showering when everything is still fresh in your mind.
Old 09-19-07, 09:48 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I have a Garmin and download the info to SportTracks.
+1 plus I use Bikejournal just for mileage. Really no effort, once a week do a download and more information that I possibly need is stored.

Beverly have you upgraded ST to the beta 2.0 yet? Well worth it, everything transfers smoothly, the new interface is very nice and I have only found a couple of small glitches. Some plugins are starting to become available to correct for elevation and to export course to .crs format.

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-19-07, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. At them moment I am also using MS Word, but was hoping there is a Treo compatible program out there. Most of what's available were written at the turn of the century.
Old 09-19-07, 10:17 AM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd

Beverly have you upgraded ST to the beta 2.0 yet? Well worth it, everything transfers smoothly, the new interface is very nice and I have only found a couple of small glitches. Some plugins are starting to become available to correct for elevation and to export course to .crs format.
I haven't downloaded it yet. I really need to get online and update my Garmin but I keep putting it off I hate messing with upgrades!

-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-19-07, 10:32 AM
MANANA.

Bikes: '06 Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i use bimactive.com

i manually input my ride data which can be a bit of a PITA mapping longer routes. there are options to import data from some gps models and a program that works with your cellphone that requires a a monthly subscription.
Old 09-19-07, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cumulative odometer on my bike computer.
That's about all I keep track of.
Old 09-19-07, 11:06 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I haven't downloaded it yet. I really need to get online and update my Garmin but I keep putting it off I hate messing with upgrades!
Here's a screen shot

2013 Noah RS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.