Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Start of the 50+ Forum

A quote on another thread got me doing a search for the original thread starting the 50+ Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Actually, I was one of the nay-sayers who initially didn't see any reason for a 50+ forum. I WAS WRONG!

I think that what I overlooked was the maturity level. It's nice to have a forum in which the majority of posters are secure enough within themselves that they can post honestly and confidently about their weaknesses as well as their successes.

It's nice to have a forum where I can admit that I was wrong and know that any retribution I recieve is going to be offered in the spirit of good-natured fun.
    Here is some of the original discussion regarding starting the 50+ forum, including Retro Grouch's thoughts. Most of these folks are still around. I have edited to just a few comments. The thread is quite lengthy.

Who Is 50 And Over? Forum?

SteveE
    I'm in the 50-54 category and don't see any need for a special 50+ forum. The length of time it takes to recover from an injury is about the only thing that seems to have changed for me.

Tightwad

With the Baby Boomers now passing the 50 year mark many will
    be retiring and "re-discovering" cycling as a great past time
    sport. A sport that will require a different focus than the
    20 somthing to 40 somethings require.

slvoid

Why not? Because you're always young at heart.

Retro Grouch

I'm going on 62 and I definitively vote no.

I think there are already way too many sterotypes regarding older riders. Go to any bike shop looking for a new bike and watch them trot out all of the "grandmother" comfort bikes. I think that if we keep age out of it, we'll have a better chance of being treated as individuals rather than as a part of some age group.

late

I'm 54, and I did not vote. I doubt we need our own forum.
    Btw, I am a big fan of supplemets like calcium, vitamins and antioxidants. But the drugs you mention are just too risky, you juggle hand grenades and eventually one will go off.

Maelstrom

Hasn't this been discussed before? I seriously don't think it is needed quite yet, that might change a few months down the road.

Ditto...also are we gonna create a segregation for every single person different. I have fingers missing and no second digits on my left hand, I don't feel the need for a handicapped sub-forum. Besides...I will be over 50 someday...the information is useful to all.

pinerider

I dunno, since I turned 50 in March, I want to hang around more with younger people.
    A 50's forum would be a great opportunity for us to post every time we whup some young 35 year old punks whilst climbing hills. Then the rest of the posts would be about what drugs we're taking this week (aspirin and glucosamine sulphate)
    Then we could throw in the odd mid life crisis post to keep everybody else interested!!!

Seriously, though I think there are too many sub-forums now, I don't have time to read them all (is that a 50's statement???)

RonH

It is exactly this kind of thinking and perhaps stereotype that leads me to believe the we DO need a 50+ forum - to counter this type of thinking.
    I'm 59 and get lots of great information from the forum members, regardless of age.
    But I get some of my best information from
    http://www.exrx.net/Store/HKImages/CyclingPast50.jpg

RonH

Sometimes it's depressing knowing that no matter how much I train I'll never be as good as I was when I was 35...
    I'm much healthier, stronger, and lighter than I was at 35.
    At 35 I weighed about 230 pounds and never exercised.

Tightwad

Tell that to my Lemond BA.

It is exactly this kind of thinking and perhaps stereotype that leads me to believe the we DO need a 50+ forum - to counter this type of thinking.

Not hurt yet at 64 yo (almost 65), riding along at 4,000 miles per year on my "racer."

First I'd like to congratulate you for taking such good care
    of yourself and being lucky enough to avoid health issues or
    injury.

However, you must admit that on a percentage basis the
    majority of Boomers will not be as wise as you nor as lucky.
    It is to those Boomers that the "Boomerbike" will be addressed.
    To think otherwise seeks to deprive these less lucky folks of
    the opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of calmer cycling.

I do agree that a 50+ forum would serve a place to discuss
    issues that are the providence of the Boomer group and of
    no interest to any of younger folk's.......yet.

DnvrFox

We have identified 46 of us who are 50+, including 9 who are 60-64.

I will be 65 soon, so I almost fit the next category. 65-69.

A couple of thoughts on some place (forum, thread, whatever) dedicated to folks 50+

1. Folks who are 50+ and who are considering starting a fitness program are at times quite unsure about themselves, what they can do, what goals might be appropriate, training techniques, etc. When they discover a forum such as BicycleForum in their search for answers, it may be comforting to see that they are not alone - that there are others engaged in similar pursuits.

I see a number of introductory posts like "At 52, I am old, but want to start getting exercise. etc., etc." Some folks think they are way over the hill at 50, likely because they feel that way. A senior place allows them to discover what other folks their age and older are doing in the way of fitness.

2. Some of the younger folks on the forum believe that someone 50+ is "elderly" and pretty much also over the hill. Likely this is the example that they have at home in their own family. I think it is eye=opening to some of them to see that folks 50+ go on centuries, tours, can ride Litespeeds and Airborne and bent's (not just "comfort" bikes) and bike 1000's of miles each year. Some weight lift, run and do other things. It is nice to have a place where they can see the combined "force" of 50+ riders at least in this forum, and may also give the younger folks the impetus to get their own family non-exercising members involved in some fitness activities.

3. Much of the perception of what folks 50+ can and should do fitness-wise, in the fitness world, in the press, in MD's eyes, is generally very light modified exercises - that kind of thing. The things that folks 50+ do as expressed in this forum just blows that concept away.

But anyway, these are my thoughts.

DnvrFox
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-18-07 at 07:55 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What forum was this posted in?

I.e., where were you hanging out before the 50+ forum was created?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    What forum was this posted in?

I.e., where were you hanging out before the 50+ forum was created?
    At that time, the General Forum was the first forum listed on the main page, and was used much more than it is now. It was moved to last place to encourage the use of the other forums. There were only about 10 forums all together. So, it was in the general forum.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started the thread

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

"Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists"

to let newer folks see the accomplishments of other 50+ bicyclists. I never expected it to even be read, and now it has over 43,500 views.

Some folks thought I started it as sort of an initiation rite - not correct. That never ever occured to me.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-18-07 at 09:00 PM.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This forum has become a social club centred around our love of cycling. When I joined Bike Forums I spent most time on the Touring forum, but soon it became mostly 50+. We have come to be friends, though we have never met. I am glad that the administrator somewhat tolerates us getting off topic because the social aspect is very important here.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I meant to end my posting with arrrgh.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
    Sorry, I meant to end my posting with arrrgh.
    Aye, me hearty!
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said this before and I am more than happy to say it again, This thread has been a wealth of info and support for me! Thanks to all who made this happen and have kept it active!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it too late to vote against it???

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find myself amazed I fit in better here than other forums. It's weird. I'm 50, but I'm not, ya know, old, like people who are 50.
    There must be some mistake.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been here since Dnvr originally proposed the 50+ forum and really didn't think much of the idea. However, it's now one of my favorite forums.

One of the first "hot" topics was when somebody suggested the forum be called something like the One Foot in the Grave forum or some such because there was a lot of ailment type posts in the early days.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Is it too late to vote against it???
    You mean for us to vote you out?