Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Does It Happen?

How does this addiction get into our heads? What is it that makes us do what we do...that is ride and ride. I can't believe what has happened to me in the last year. I used to jog a to get the heart rate up a little but my 50 year old knees started to protest and I gave it up. My brother in-law suggested I get a bike...hmmm, that sounds like a good idea, so off to Wally World I go and pick up a Mountain Bike. Not the most expensive in their stable, but not the bottom shelf either. After about 200 miles this bike is falling apart and I know I'm hooked on riding so I head on down to my LBS and start looking at MB's. I pull a Trek 4300 off the rack and I think I like it...fits good and runs sooo much nicer than that Wally World bike. I buy it and I'm off to the races so to speak.

Suddenly I find myself riding 5-6 days a week and keeping track of my daily ride at bikejournal.com, must go faster and farther...so then I start turning my Trek into a hybrid, I cut 2" off each end of the handlebars and move the controls as far in as possible, next, the knobby tires have to go, so I get some road slicks. Then I get some pedals with baskets on them. I even take my bike on vacation with us because I can't bear the thought of not riding for a week! Now I'm starting to get some serious miles under my belt...but then it happened, I started to ride with a fellow from church...the guy with the $4,000 Specialized CF bike. I'm sure he's trying to kill me...but I stay with it and can sorta keep up, but alas, I do believe my equipment is somewhat limited.

So it's off to my LBS again and this time I'm looking at road bikes. The guy in the store just grins when he sees me looking at them because he's seen the "transformation" of my MB to hybrid and now he knows what is getting ready to happen. Now I'm starting to drop some serious cash down, at least in my house, for a bicycle! I'm thinking this is nuts! But I do it anyway...I think it's kinda like the guy that goes into the Harley dealer and, well you know what happens. The next thing I know I'm walking a new bike out the door and home.

Now it's 6-7 days a week of riding and my avg speed has climbed to about 15mph of hilly riding. Then last week-end I made the final leap...clipless. Ohhhh, what's come over me! $130 for pedals!! It's a sickness I tell you. When will it end? Am I doomed to the sound of whirling cassettes for the rest of my life? I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to, after all a round of golf takes more time and costs much more than riding. Fishing requires a boat and then there's the cost of fuel these days. But I guess the best part is that about 4 years ago my BP was 140/90 and I was 50lbs heavier. I could still stand to lose about 10lbs but my BP is down to 102/68 with a resting heart rate of 62.

Yeah, I think I'll keep pedaling.
    Last edited by Metric Man; 09-20-07 at 09:11 PM.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had time to do "only" about 20 miles this afternoon, so I did it. Then when I got back, I was still pumped up to ride, so I did 8 miles riding in circles in the parking lot.

There ain't no cure...

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep pedaling, Metric Man! It's a glorious thing, this biking stuff. Joyful.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's happened to a lot of us

I'm off for a club ride in the morning, another ride Saturday morning, club picnic Saturday afternoon which will include some riding and then to the regular Sunday morning breakfast ride. Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to do some work around the house
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first, I enjoyed the same addiction; however, the addiction became an obsession. When I bought a bent, eliminated the garmin, quit keeping records, riding------for me-------became fun again. I have a Cateye Mity 8 hooked up to the back wheel for the sole purpole of knowing when I should start maintenance in case I missed something. Someone on this forum told me they measured their rides by "smiles per mile" and now, I smile a lot.

Good luck and good riding.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to do some work around the house
    Or not...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get the connection, but thanks for the eye candy, Big Paulie!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what Metric Man is talking about. Addiction? Pshaw! I could quit biking any time I wanted. Of course, not this week, or for that matter this month, because I want to stay on goal. Then I could quit, cold turkey -- oh wait, I have a goal for the year as well. I could easily quit in 2008. Piece of cake. Yep, just walk away. No problem.

What kind of clipless did you get, by the way?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, my name is Bruce and I'm a bikeaholic.

I started a year ago March with a hybrid and a plan to ride occasionally to work--five to seven miles, twice a week.

Yeah, bikejournal and "N+1" hit. I rode nearly 3,000 miles in the first nine months, and am now acquiring bikes at the rate of one every nine months. Yesterday I brought home the Trek Portland I've had on layaway.

While waiting in the shop while they put the bottle cages on the new bike, I realized I could use a nice Campy-equipped Bianchi, you know, to bring some balance to my Shimano-heavy stable. Hmmm... Should I plan on the leftover 2005 model that's one of the last steel ones, or indulge myself in a little CF?

This, even before I have the new one out the door of the shop...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    What kind of clipless did you get, by the way?
    Speed Play
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you won't catch me buying a new bike...or....er...well....
    my commuter is kinda old....or,maybe just a good headlight for
    a couple hundred dollars.....

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this to be true of any real exercise, maybe it is the endorphins? I know when I was running it was the same way, I would often come home from work and feel that I did not want to run that day. I would sit for 15-30min feeling guilty looking out the window and say, heck get your shoes on and go out there. Of course when you are finished you feel great and this just reinforces your motivation. These types of addictions can be bad, however, if you don't provide your body recovery time. I have also seen that in both cycling and running, those that push themselves beyond their bodies ability to cope. Then you end up with chronic problems like stress fractures, tendonitus, shin splints etc.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Metric Man,

I think it could have something to do with where you live! I rode through Beaumont on the Breathless Agony ride, then up Oak Glen, to Damnation Alley, out to Angels Oaks and up to Onyx Summit. Lovely. I guess you do a similar ride (or the same ride) fairly often .

I know I would if I lived out there!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    Now it's 6-7 days a week of riding and my avg speed has climbed to about 15mph of hilly riding.
    When you start to ride 8 days a week, then it's time for help.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full carbon. You need full carbon. Do not listen to the steel freeks. You know you want it. You might even realize that you need it. Just buy it. Don't forget the bibshorts.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plastic is for toys. Machinery is made of metal.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not in the 50 plus club but it's approaching quickly and I know what I'm going to do to celebrate...

I'll be hand building a fixed gear touring bike and will ride it from Victoria, British Columbia to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island and if it all works out, my kids will be doing the trans continental with me.

From there I might just hop on a boat and keep on going to the UK and Europe.

I passed addiction and moved on to obsession a long time ago.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Well Metric Man,

I think it could have something to do with where you live! I rode through Beaumont on the Breathless Agony ride, then up Oak Glen, to Damnation Alley, out to Angels Oaks and up to Onyx Summit. Lovely. I guess you do a similar ride (or the same ride) fairly often .

I know I would if I lived out there!

Rick / OCRR
    Yes Rick, it appears you know of my beautiful area. My daily ride is usually only about 1200' of elevation change in 16-17 miles. Riding to Oak Glen is something I've been considering more and more. You rode from Beaumont to Onyx Summit?? You sir, are an animal! And have my respect.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Full carbon. You need full carbon. Do not listen to the steel freeks. You know you want it. You might even realize that you need it. Just buy it. Don't forget the bibshorts.
    I hear voices...must resist...
    Mark

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Hi, my name is Bruce and I'm a bikeaholic.

I started a year ago March with a hybrid and a plan to ride occasionally to work--five to seven miles, twice a week.

Yeah, bikejournal and "N+1" hit. I rode nearly 3,000 miles in the first nine months, and am now acquiring bikes at the rate of one every nine months. Yesterday I brought home the Trek Portland I've had on layaway.

While waiting in the shop while they put the bottle cages on the new bike, I realized I could use a nice Campy-equipped Bianchi, you know, to bring some balance to my Shimano-heavy stable. Hmmm... Should I plan on the leftover 2005 model that's one of the last steel ones, or indulge myself in a little CF?

This, even before I have the new one out the door of the shop

and the problem is???? sounds perfectly normal to me

I really DO need (uh, want?) a more capable, fender-friendly fat tired road style bike for winter trekking in Ohio. That Trek Portland looks nice.

My sister is getting a Bleriot, and I really want one of those, too!

The madness never ends. I am hopelessly addicted.
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hooked and I'm proud.

For me, it's more than endorphins (although I'm sure that contributes to it). For me, it's like playing music - it's something you can pick up quickly at one level, but spend a few lifetimes learning, savoring, and getting better at. When I was young, I really wanted to master something, but now I think that would probably disappoint me.

You can never have too many bikes or guitars!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, my name is jim (forum responds: Hi, Jim!)

i am addicted to cycling. this weekend i felt the urge coming on. i quickly called my sponsor. he came over.....

we knocked off a quick thirty miles... we both felt much better.

seems to me there are a lot of addictions that are a lot worse. (i am also addicted to guitars....) i have simply GOT to find some cheaper addictions... dang.

rumor has it that the urges, cravings, needs, wants and desires only get stronger with time... it is futile to resist.

be,
    and be well,

jim
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Yesterday I brought home the Trek Portland I've had on layaway.
    Hey, tsl. Congratulations on bringing the Portland home! How do you like it?

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not hooked
    I only have 8 bikes so I don't wear 1 out to quick

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MM's story is similar to many of ours. Makes you wonder why we stayed off the bike since we starting driving..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast