Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Snow on the Mountains

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Snow on the Mountains

Old 09-21-07, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Snow on the Mountains

Holy Crap, the winter is rapidly approaching here in SW Montana. There is now snow on the peaks of the Bridger Range and the Gallatin range. After our very long hot summer, its nice to see, but I am saddened by the close of yet another cycling season.
Old 09-21-07, 12:54 PM
SNARKY MEMBER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know what you mean. The high today is only supposed to be 94 with a low of 69.
Old 09-21-07, 12:57 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In recent years, I've felt a bit of a sense of panic this time of year. The long Wisconsin winters are starting to get to me. I don't mind them being cold, I just don't like them lasting 5 months.

So right about now, on 9/21, I feel like I have to get out and enjoy every minute of the waning sunshine and comfortable temps, as come early November, they are gone.

We've already had two frosts here.

This year I've scheduled three long weekends, as in 4 or 5-day "weekends," to get out and enjoy. Last weekend along the upper Mississippi River, two weeks from now along the Elroy-Sparta bike trail, and then in mid-October on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington (extended business trip). Between those and some evening & regular weekend walks & rides, I'm hopeful that it does the trick.

I hate it in those years when it is mid-November, sun setting at 4:35, with cold winds blowing, knowing that we're in for a few more months of it being even colder and darker, and not having gotten out and enjoyed Autumn.

I should take off about 3 weeks in late Sept / early Oct. I did that a couple of years ago, spending two weeks in Colorado and absolutely loved it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-21-07, 12:59 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Holy Crap, the winter is rapidly approaching here in SW Montana. There is now snow on the peaks of the Bridger Range and the Gallatin range. After our very long hot summer, its nice to see, but I am saddened by the close of yet another cycling season.
As long as the temps are above 20F and the roads are clear of ice and snow, the cycling season never closes around here. We can usually get 9-10 months of cycling with January and February being the least likely for biking.

I don't look forward to the colder weather simply because it requires more time to dress for riding

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-21-07, 01:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have already been out on a few rides in the evenings where lights have been required by the end- But tonight the lights had to go on before I left home. Other things that went on tonight were the long fingered gloves- The Polaris winter top and I also had the Ski mask in the back pocket. Those evenings are getting colder but at least the daytime is still warm- even if it is a bit overcast and windy.

To be honest- I am looking to get the MTB into a ready state to ride as Those cold frosty mornings should arrive in a month or so- And I don't fancy dropping myself onto Tarmac with the ice. Even on a frosty morning the Mud is soft so It looks like Hills Here I come within a few weeks.

And just to remind you- Last snow we had was a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snow4.JPG (18.4 KB, 9 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 09-21-07, 01:30 PM
dck

Bikes: '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Couple years ago I took a trip from Billings south through the Crow reservation, over to Red Lodge and back. That was in October, and yes, the mountains had white tops then too. Beautiful country though, but windy. I especially enjoyed stopping at Chief Plenty Coups State Park. Since it was a weekday, late in the year and I was the only visitor at the park, the ranger gave me the key to the Chief's house so I could go in and take a look around. It's a fascinating place and I truely enjoyed it.
Old 09-21-07, 01:57 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Time to think about Palm Springs. Come winter you will still get snow on the mountains, but the temps will be in the '70s.
Old 09-21-07, 02:21 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I saw my first TV commercial about Christmas a few weeks ago already. Geesh!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-21-07, 05:01 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, a cold storm is approaching SoCal from Canada that's expected to dump snow in our mountains down to 6000 feet. Snow.... in summer... in Southern CA. The snow resorts get snow every winter...... but snow in summer?
Old 09-21-07, 06:12 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
But first.....................the Hurricanes...........err ............The Sub tropical storms................err. hmmmm. Perhaps this belongs in the other thread about biased publicity.
Old 09-21-07, 07:17 PM

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever see "The Cypress" (hard core college age racer type) bombing around Bozeman/Belgrade/Manhatten/Four Corners, and even up the canyon?

See this thread w/pictures:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/290012-my-life-ride-pics.html

Skip H
Old BB ski bum.....
Old 09-21-07, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I am sure I have seen the Cypress, but never met him. He rides a bit too fast for my taste, or until I get one heck of a lot faster. Thats my goal for next year btw, is to get some speed back into my cycling.
Old 09-21-07, 08:05 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorry, I love to cycle but I'm ready to ski. I love Bridger Bowl and Big Sky. They are not on my agenda this year but I am 3 months away from Winter Park. Whiteface will be open in two months, Killington in maybe 6 weeks. Alta/Snowbird is a yearly event.