Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Well, just in time for autumn / winter (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/346015-well-just-time-autumn-winter.html)

Digital Gee 09-21-07 02:19 PM

Well, just in time for autumn / winter

I have to finally throw away my gloves, since they are pretty much worn away and holey. While I'm at it, i may get me a new helmet -- one of those shiney pointy things i see road riders wearing. (I've got my original MTB helmet). Anyway, back to gloves. I need a pair designed for cooler temperatures. Should I match my new gloves to

A. My helmet?

B. My bar tape?

C. My skull cap?

D. My socks?

stapfam 09-21-07 02:33 PM

How about matching them to your hands?

Pearly white to match the bike.

howsteepisit 09-21-07 03:22 PM

Try a devo like 3-tiered one.

maddmaxx 09-21-07 05:01 PM

I like Stapfams answer, match gloves to hands, 5 fingers and one thumb each.

Seriously, do you mean cold weather or California Cold weather. If the latter, buy next summers gloves early and ride in the afternoon...:D

Beverly 09-21-07 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5310590)
I have to finally throw away my gloves, since they are pretty much worn away and holey. While I'm at it, i may get me a new helmet -- one of those shiney pointy things i see road riders wearing. (I've got my original MTB helmet). Anyway, back to gloves. I need a pair designed for cooler temperatures. Should I match my new gloves to

A. My helmet?

B. My bar tape?

C. My skull cap?

D. My socks?

They should all match:D

Digital Gee 09-21-07 05:30 PM

Okay, I got the gloves. Got the same kind I had, because after all, this is California, and it doesn't get THAT cold. So a nice webbed pair of gloves. Also picked up a new helmet, which is silver (they didn't have white).

But here's the thing... I bought a pump. Yes, indeedie doodie. Topeak Mini DX. And, I'm even thinking of washing my bike this weekend.

maddmaxx 09-21-07 05:44 PM

Geesh I wish I lived in California he says while glancing over at the neoprene wet suit gloves, balaclava and armoured outerwear with onboard electric heaters.

I know........sigh........I know it doesn't get that cold in CT (only a few days below 0..............C) but I sure want to keep summer here for a while longer. I am not looking forward to looking forward to next year.

wavygravy 09-21-07 05:50 PM

Be sure and keep us posted. ................Sheesh

maddmaxx 09-21-07 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by wavygravy (Post 5311285)
Be sure and keep us posted. ................Sheesh

Mississippi?........................aaarrrrrggggghhh!

wavygravy 09-21-07 06:00 PM

Yep, no balaclava or onboard electric heaters needed here. Just snake chaps, leather skin to ward off insects with tail numbers, and a weather alert radio on your bike for tornados and hurricanes.

I was actually trying to be a smartass to D.G.'s post, not yours, sorry.

maddmaxx 09-21-07 06:04 PM

We have yet to hear from the king of cool.............the formerly helmet headed one............from the far north.......................here he is......................

Oh nevermind, he's already posted his feelings about winter in the other thread.

BluesDawg 09-21-07 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5311173)
But here's the thing... I bought a pump. Yes, indeedie doodie. Topeak Mini DX. And, I'm even thinking of washing my bike this weekend.

Well, at least you have a way to fill a fixed tire. But when you eventually have to use it, before you come on here and post about what a B(^%h it is to fill a tire using a pump, remember, we did warn you about mini-pumps :)

Big Paulie 09-21-07 06:53 PM

But here's the thing... I bought a pump. Yes, indeedie doodie. Topeak Mini DX.

"Pump" and "mini" are mutually exclusive terms. Save that receipt!

stapfam 09-22-07 01:32 AM

Okay, I got the gloves. Got the same kind I had, because after all, this is California, and it doesn't get THAT cold. So a nice webbed pair of gloves. Also picked up a new helmet, which is silver (they didn't have white).

Be careful of doing that at the end of a glorious summer. I have heard that water in your part of the world is so rare- people forget there is a thing called rust that seems to appear just after washing.

I would advise using the Topeak to air line the dirt off the bike- Works a wonder on the chain by the way.