Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling Lost

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling Lost

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Feeling Lost

Bike Content....I am slow and fat how do I fix that?

Real Topic... I am having one of those days. I am feeling like life just passed me by. I was reminiscing about how cycling was in the 70's, it was much more communal, and it was always easy to get up a group to ride slow or ride fast. All the cyclists were considered fringe weirdos anyway. Today I just feel lost, dazed and confused, and that not from injesting some weird substance either.
Old 09-21-07, 03:42 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howstteepisit:

However steep it is, just climb it a few times and you'll feel refreshed.

Sorry for your melancholy. However, should you always find yourself riding alone and unhappy about it, perhaps there's another activity you could do with a group. I prefer solo rides myself, but often set up informal "destinations" as I ride. These are usually businesses where I have an association (like the bike shops), friends houses or even my church. I get my exercise, at whatever pace I decide for whatever distance, and, when needed, social interaction as well.

Life hasn't really passed us by. We have just progressed a good way through it
Old 09-21-07, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I remember the cyclists from back then, good people.

Everything always changes, always has, always will. Those of us who cannot accept change are doomed to a life of unhappiness.

I'm still a "fringe weirdo", at least I hope so.

Hope you cheer up, man.
Old 09-21-07, 05:20 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've often wondered what it's like not being a weirdo (having tried 'normal' yet). We were watching a show on tele last night about pampered dogs in New York ... and my son pointed out that I drag my dog around behind the bike in a trailer

I prefer to ride solo or with a friend or family. I also prefer to have a destination or a reason.

My favourite therapy? Decide on something you really like but which doesn't technically fit the guidelines of your diet - pie is popular here, but I prefer a Cornish Pasty. Then I ride somewhere (a longish way away) and buy one, scoff it and then turn around to come home. Some how, riding 40km to buy a pasty and then coming home makes more sense than just going for an 80km ride

Richard
Old 09-21-07, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been down in the dumps for a couple of weeks, so I relate and empathize with HSII. When bike rides don't keep you high after they are done, something's wrong.

It's really hard to realize how the world has changed, and how, perhaps, we just aren't a vital part of it anymore.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 09-21-07 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 05:36 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
I've been down in the dumps for a couple of weeks, so I relate and empathize with HSII. When bike rides don't keep you high after they are done, something's wrong.
Me too from time to time. My oldest daughter (nearly 19) came to live with me, and at first it was fantastic, and now it's settled into a typical dad/teen daughter thing, where I ask questions and try to engage her in conversation, and she gives me one word answers and rolls her eyes a lot. I know it will pass. Doesn't mean it's much fun.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-21-07, 06:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit

Real Topic... I am having one of those days. I am feeling like life just passed me by. I was reminiscing about how cycling was in the 70's, it was much more communal, and it was always easy to get up a group to ride slow or ride fast. All the cyclists were considered fringe weirdos anyway. Today I just feel lost, dazed and confused, and that not from injesting some weird substance either.
Thoughts:

1. Ignore the news for awhile. It's the same old crap anyway.

2. Resolve to miss out on one major innovation. I, for example, will never get an IPod.

3. Banish all mirrors.

4. Get a good massage.

5. Eat an apple.

6. If you're single, date a Ukrainian woman. They're all beautiful.

7. Break out laughing at the next shameless cliche you read or hear. Any variation of "Be yourself" gets extra credit.

That's about it.
Old 09-21-07, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit

We've all been there and had those kind of days. You are not alone.
Old 09-21-07, 06:21 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Announcement..................It is getting dark earlier (in spite of government legislation) so it is natural to be feeling a little down. Sorry, none of this applies to you Europa (your approaching summer and I hate you).

So if your feeling a bit normal................go out and do something and get better.