Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer to my dreams?

I'll try to post this fast before the database crashes again. Again. Again...

Custom cassettes at Harris Cyclery

OK, maybe a little light at the very top end of the range but how often do I use those 2 gears (except pedaling downhill)?
    The middle gears are exactly the same as I have now but the bottom 2 gears? Oh baby.
    OK, it ain't cheap but I don't think I'll be getting any younger, either
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, this looks great...

Thanks for posting it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could go for one of those but all my bikes have triple cranksets. That would be a bit lower than even I need. It would be perfect for a touring set up.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Harris "Century Special." It saves me on the big hills around here. I consider it a great investment and recommend it.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, it's only a 13-30. The cassette on my Black Beast is an 11-32 (9 speed) ... and I run her with a triple that has a lowered granny

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, custom cassettes, this opens a whole new can of worms. Next we'll see the 12, 12, 12, 17, 17, 17, 26, 26, 26 with a triple front for people who like extreme gearing without crosschaining.......

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect gears
    22/38/48 with 11/34
    No hill to big and no load to great
    OK I know you're not all going to agree and I know it's easyer to find a 22/34/44

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect? Maybe but not for my LeMond
    I sure wish my Kaitai was operational so I could remember what a 30T feels like.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon also does an11/34 for 10 speed and although it is not a shimano unit- is what I am thinking of for the Mountains next year. It will require a long reach rear mech. aswell But I have plento of XT 's from the MTB floating about.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh_caines View Post
    Perfect gears
    22/38/48 with 11/34No hill to big and no load to great
    OK I know you're not all going to agree and I know it's easyer to find a 22/34/44

Funnily enough- This is what I use on the MTB, even on the road, as this is the gearing I have fitted to it. I still use the 22/34 up the hills but on the road bike 34/27 is what I use and I still get up the hills- But faster.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one get a 13-30 cassette to work with a 105 rd?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per Sheldon Brown, it is compatible with all 9 spd RDs.
    Shimano's apparently have a reputation of being conservative with their capacity ratings

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would call them first. I know they are conservative, as are most of the others, but a 30t cog is pushing it. I know someone who tried to use a 32t and it didn't work.

If it does work, then it looks like a nice option.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI

I found this thread where someone with an Ultegra said he was able to get a 30t to work. And it was acknowledged that others have had success with a 105 & 30t.

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-129126.html

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have to adjust the "b" screw so the upper jockey wheel has clearance on the largest cog. This will result in a less than optimum (in Shimano's opinion) wide clearance on the smallest cog. All will work fine and only the most sociopathic shifters will notice the slight lag in shifting performance near the small cogs.

The "B" screw is the fore and aft screw that goes through the derailleur near the mount and seems to press on a tab on the frame or derailleur hanger. Proper adjustment works in conjunction with the length of the chain and it adjusts the spring tension on the upper part of the derailleur to keep the jockey wheel from hitting the teeth on the cogs. The rear wheel should be off the ground and you should be pedeling the bike while observing the clearance of the parts and adjusting the screw.

Do not catch your hair in the chain/cogs and do not stick your fingers in their either. This is one of the adjustments that is much more art than science unlike break gaps or limit screws.

Derailleurs shift most crisply at the tightest clearances but things touch that shouldn't if the clearance is too tight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a neat cassette. You should be able to do some good climbing with that one.

I did some minor mixing and matching of cogs, and I'm pleased with the results.