User Tag List

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK you grandparents

If you were to get a bike for an athletic 12 year old girl who has never ridden a bike before, what bike would you get? Explain.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    anything she wants.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grand kids aren't old enough yet! But I'll watch this post and glean the infor for later! LOL!

I would say it will depend on her skill level and her desire to ride. Are you looking on getting her into Raod riding? Trek makes a nice SMALL road bike called a KDR 1000 that is a full on Road bike. Trek also has a KDR 7.2 FX which has nearly the same specs at the Adult version of the FX. I would be inclined to look for the FX, due to the upright nature of the frame.

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 sons and 0 daughters, but as my boys were growing up I always bought them quality bikes, either road or mountain, whichever they preferred. I didn't go crazy and buy high dollar bikes, but I did get them good ones, sometimes even used ones. Boys are probably harder on bikes (and everything else) than girls and I never did have to spend a lot of time working on their bikes.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a grandparent, but I'd go for a hybrid with a seat low enough for her feet to touch the ground while seated. Take off the pedals while teaching her to ride. This way she can push along, or glide while learning to balance, and if gets off balance, can catch herself without a pedal going into her calf or ankle. Quick, easy way for her to learn to balance, without being afraid of tipping over! Once she gets the balancing down, you can add the pedals and teach the rest.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume she hasn't ridden before. I'd buy her a used bike a little on the small side. Tell her it's just for a short time - maybe a month until she gets her balance. Once she gets the hang of it I'd spring for a real bike.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a 10 year old steel Trek 220 for my 11 year old. It can go both ways, boy or girl. He loves it.

My Bikes
    Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started my grandaughter on this then bought her one for herself

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helpful comments all.

Immediate resources include my wife's Electra Townie but it might be a bit too big. I also have a tandem, but the view from the stoker's seat might not be so great.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh_caines View Post
    I started my grandaughter on this then bought her one for herself
    I Love the picture!

Just got my 3 1/2 year old Grand son on one of these 1/2 bikes and he loves it. The first time he saw me stand on the pedals, he asked, "When can "I" do that! LOL!

Soon Matthew...Soon!

Chris
    Last edited by ang1sgt; 09-22-07 at 05:23 AM.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I assume she hasn't ridden before. I'd buy her a used bike a little on the small side. Tell her it's just for a short time - maybe a month until she gets her balance. Once she gets the hang of it I'd spring for a real bike.
    Guess I should have had the info in my original post, but if you do go the route of a bike that she can sit on and still touch the ground with both feet, it will most likely be too small once she starts riding. Maybe go to Goodwill and pick up an inexpensive bike for her to learn balance on, and get a better quality bike later. The important thing is the removal of the pedals. Wish I could remember where I read it, but it is supposed to speed up the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 12 year old granddaughter a 2006 Specialized Crossroads about 6 months ago. I purchased the next size larger (medium) and adjusted everything accordingly. She is 13 now and she rides with me (20-30 miles) every weekend. She loves her new Brooks B-17S and Continental City Contact (700x32) tires.
    Buy her a quality bike and make it comfortable to enable her to "go the distance" with optimal enjoyment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thrifty1; 09-22-07 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought my 10yo daughter a Specialized Dolce Vita, "used" but still with the tags on it. This is a women's specific design in a x-small size 44cm. She's tall for 10, and it fits her great. This bike is good enough for any type of riding, including racing if she were so inclined (she's not).

She loves being able to keep up with me and everyone else but the racers. It's a big improvement over her old 24" wheel mtb.

All that said, if your granddaughter doesn't ride a bike, I wouldn't recommend anything like this. It does take some skill.