User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 50+ with dupuytrens contracture

I have dupuytrens contracture, which is a condition that affects the tendons in your hands. You get what looks like knots on the palm of your hand where your tendons are and the affected finger will not straighten when you try to flatten your hand. I have had it on my pinky finger of my right hand for a couple of years and it is starting to get pretty painful. I have been seeing a Dr. once a year and he has said he did not want to perform surgery unless it hurts all of the time or it starts to bend in the middle. Riding my road bike doesn't bother it, but my mountain bike does. Yesterday I went kayaking and it hurt constantly even though I have pads on my paddle just for this reason. Anybody else have it or has anyone had the surgery to correct it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinky finger on left hand for me. Same deal with my doctor. Work is being done with ultrasonic treatments, but not widely used at this point. Mine has "kinda" stabilized at about 20 degree contracture w/o discomfort. If it stays that way, I'll just accept it and have a good conversation piece.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."